This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

My sound doesn't work!

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My sound does not work, I have tried all the troubleshooting wizards and bought new speakers, still is not working.. not even widows sounds. This is my last straw before I throw this computer out! Please help, I have a feeling this is a hardware problem however. Moved from Infections Forum LDT

I have tried all the troubleshooting wizards


If so, then possibly you've exhausted your options.
_________________________________________

What does your Device Manager tell you?
Any "unknown devices"? <– could possibly indicated audio is not installed
or "sound, video and game controlers" that have yellow or red warnings, or a black exclamation point character?

A "no sound" problem can related to audio drivers not installed.

But of course it is possibility that your sound device is not enabled in Device manager, sound(general tab)
or

Check Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices - Make sure "Mute" is not selected, and that Device volume is set about 3/4 up the slide bar. Same for Speaker Volume(button)
yes, I have checked the driver settings all enabled, and no exclamation points or characters of any kind. I have also reinstalled the driver. Realtec AC'97 Audio is what I believe I should be using, whatever came with it. Do you think it is the sound card itself and can I get a new one instead of a new computer?
Please write down with paper and pencil, the items listed in Device Manager, under Sound, video and game controlles

For instance, this machine that I'm typing from has:

Auodio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Realtek High Definition Audio
Video Codecs
___________________________

Have you checked in BIOS/CMOS setup to assure that audio device is correctly identified/enabled?
_________________________-

Realtec AC'97 Audio is what I believe I should be using


AC'97 Audio drivers are often the ones needed for on-board audio, but I wonder…
What is it that makes you think this is the correct driver for your machine?
If correct, also be sure that you install the driver for XP, and not for VISTA/win7
__________________________-

Have a look at the website of your machine's manufacturer
Look up your machine by model number
Then click Support - Downloads
More than likely there will appear the correct Audio driver for your machine.
__________________-

Bottom-line about an audio PCI card, is "yes", but double-check all of the above and previous before making a purchase.
This is the list of devices under device manager: Realtek AC'97 Audio Audio Codecs Legacy Audio Drivers Media Control Devices Legacy Video Capture Devices Video Codecs Realtek is the one I re-installed. I did check my Bios settings, I think it was OK but I was a little lost so I didn't want to change anything. With instructions I can re-check. On my machines (Emachines T-3410) website under drivers it shows: Chipset-NVDIA-chipset driver(package) card reader-emachines-card reader driver modem-conexant-modem driver vga-NVDIA-vga driver Please note: I guessed that Realtek was the correct driver.
Though somewhat old, and occasionally considered unreliable, your E-machine seems packed with strong components and features

I've had "problems" getting the correct AC'97 driver in previous efforts with similar machines.
It can be a nightmare to identify and find the correct one.

Your T-3410 has specification: 5.1 channel surround AC '97 5.1 channel surround

The "exact" chip model number is printed on the onboard audio chip on your machine's motherboard

Looking at the Audio chip on your MotherBoard, the chip identification is labeled AlC-xxx (where "x" represents a number)

This one "might" be the correct controller.
http://download.cnet.com/Audio-Realtek-ALC…0_4-168843.html
__________________

If none of the above helps, please download and run Lavalys Everest 2.20 (free)

Once open and displayed on your monitor, use the table on the left side navigate to your Your Realteck ALCxxx controller
click on the "+" in from of Multimedia
then click on PCI/pnpAudio
The correct version of your Audio Controller should now be listed in the larger, right-hand panel

With that information, it becomes a matter of searching for a compatible driver.

If you need additional assistance, please post back with that PCI / PnP Audio information.

In answer to your earlier question…
Yes, you can install a sound PCI card plus drivers and codecs (which usually come on disk with the purchase of the card)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI