This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

what is an xfdl file and how can I get it to open?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I've received some paperwork in an e-mail from my daughter, but it's in xfdl file format which is unrecognized by my computer. In doing an internet search for what can open the file, I'm led to sites which want me to download programs to fix something in my registry. In checking out the programs on reporting sites, they are noted to be carriers of trojans and other malware. Having just had your help in getting my computer clean, I'd like to keep it that way! What is an xfdl file and what can I safely use to open it? Thanks!
Hi slpera

You are wise to inquire before attempting to download or open files that you receive over the internet, even when those file attachments "appear" to be coming from a friend or relative.

I would speculate that your daughter may be attempting to complete some form of Student Aide or may be involved in a branch of the military that requires this type of document format. I would certainly call the person by telephone to confirm that the document was sent by them

The link provided by Appleoddity does a good job of describing what xfdl format documents are used for.
More information can be found at Grants(dot)gov

Getting to the actual reader-utility required by government grant and other sources can be somewhat of a tail-chase, jumping from site to site.
Again the link provided by Appleoddity does offer a Download, but it may be more than you want, and certainly is more than you need to open XFDL formatted documents.

You can download and install a specific application called PureEdge Viewer, directly from http://www.grants.gov/agencies/asoftware.jsp

Here's a screenshoot - the Red line points to the clickable link to begin the download of PureEdge Viewer
📎PureEdge_Viewer_requirement_n_download.jpg

I do quite a bit of correspondence with government agencies, but this XFDL file format was a new one for me.
Therefore I decided to investigate, download, and create a trial download of PureEdge Viewer.

I first created a New Restore Point. (I already have a full back-up of my Registry)
Just in case something went wrong or conflicted when installing.

Installation of PureEdge Viewer from grants.gov page linked above went just fine without a hitch on this test machine running (laptop running XP professional, but should work just fine with XP Home as well)

That's about as far as I can help.
Now I just need to acquire an XFDL document to open.
You are absolutely correct that she's in the military, and I know it's from her because she told me what it was (family plan paperwork) that I'm supposed to fill out and pass on to other relatives in the family to also fill in sections before she files it with the Air Force. I will give your recommended download a try. Many thanks!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI