This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

security test

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Could you please recommend a site where I can test my machines security? Thank you

What exactly are you trying to test?



>>I just reconfigured the necessary protection for my pc and want to see if it is secure.
I was hoping there was some place that sI could test this security without looking for trouble.
Peter1,

It is possible to test how "accessible/vulnerable" your machine is from those remotely scanning from the internet.
But as to password and physical security, as well as manual or realtime spyware/virus scanning, that can only be evaluated by the local user, and by results.

Additionally,Microsoft and some others do offer "advice" about strength of password.
Read here:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Use_Strong_P…rds_t98701.html
_______________________

Now to test how vulnerable your machine may be to the internet, you can use Shields Up and Leak Test.
Shields Up
Leak Test

Otherwise, consider our recommendations, here:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Preventing_M…ing_t98700.html

Peter1,

It is possible to test how "accessible/vulnerable" your machine is from those remotely scanning from the internet.
But as to password and physical security, as well as manual or realtime spyware/virus scanning, that can only be evaluated by the local user, and by results.

Additionally,Microsoft and some others do offer "advice" about strength of password.
Read here:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Use_Strong_P…rds_t98701.html
_______________________

Now to test how vulnerable your machine may be to the internet, you can use Shields Up and Leak Test.
Shields Up
Leak Test

Otherwise, consider our recommendations, here:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Preventing_M…ing_t98700.html



>>I tested all and read all your referrals- -thank you.
Two issues;
1-I cannot click on rply to get to you like I used to. I had to click on quote to do so.
2-Is there a firewall that will work with Microsoft Security Essentials?
I passed Shields yet one of the tests said my firewall was weak -it was confusing.
I believe the Firewall part of Comodo Internet Security (free) will, as will Zone Alarm (free).

If you use Comodo, install only the Firewall part, not the Anti-virus.
Are there multiple machines hooked up to the internet at your location? Or, are you connected to a wireless/wired router that allows multiple computers to connect? If yes to either of these, your computer is not accessible from the internet, an online scan can't test this, and nothing that you install on your computer will change the results. Online penetration or firewall tests, i.e. remote port scans, are virtually useless nowadays with most home based networks.

>>I tested all and read all your referrals- -thank you.
Two issues;
1-I cannot click on rply to get to you like I used to. I had to click on quote to do so.
2-Is there a firewall that will work with Microsoft Security Essentials?
I passed Shields yet one of the tests said my firewall was weak -it was confusing.


I'm sure your posting difficulty is annoying.
Usually such problems will clear up after deleting your temporary files from your browser (cookies and off-line files0
I have to clean up the laptop as the posting is fine from the desktop so it is from my end. Would you, if you were non a tech, use Windows Security Essentils with Zone Alarm or Norton Security Center. Norton is free to Comcast users but it seems not too user friendly. Perhaps I shouod have given it more time. I have readf so much I am dizzy We had McAfee but Comcast is switching to Norton. I have looked into many options and thought MSE was good until I got an email from someone who was negative to its tardines in recognizing bad guys and other factors. Do you have a thought?

I believe the Firewall part of Comodo Internet Security (free) will, as will Zone Alarm (free).

If you use Comodo, install only the Firewall part, not the Anti-virus.



>>>> I did use Zone Alarm and it worked well with MSE so thank you.
If you read further down, you will see where I replied to Doug that I received an email from a ?knowledgeable friend, advising me to return to my free Norton as MSE has issues that don't provide the best security.
I read an article from ?Xagerati in anothe forum while I weas researching all this and he was in favor fMSE.
I thought I could handle Norton and maybe I can given some practice but it seemed not too friendly.
I use WSE and the built in firewall of Windows 7. I am also behind a wireless router. I'm not overly concerned about outbound protection. Take care of the incoming and the outgoing takes care of itself :D I used Comodo firewall for several years and found it very good, but it was also quite intrusive. Any good firewall will be.
I am using MSE with Zone Alarm and a router and all is running smoothly, no interruptions. Scan is easy and I let M.S. scan it too, f.w.i.w. I can use Norton for free and they say the Comcst version is not the old bloated program it used to be. It probably does a thorough job of prevention but I do not need to many bells and whistles. I have no idea but I think this set up is working fine so i'll stick with it. Good to hear MSE is running well for others.
I haven't found any definitive statements that assert that WSE "conflicts" with other recognized security utilities.
But I do find references that it conflicts with MS's own Windows Defender.
That's why Windows Defender is automatically disabled by WSE in most instances.

I'm not clear about what you are proposing in reference to the free availability of Norton from your Comcast ISP, but you may experience "performance degradation" if you have both WSE and Norton Security Suite running actively in real-time at the same time.

I'll be watching for other reports of conflict between WSE and third-party security.
Your subjective experience (if you are running both actively) will also be of interest.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI