Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Purchasing Microsoft Office 2007 Suite

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rik_fisher

rik_fisher

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:29 AM

I've avoided buying the Office 2007 suite because it's so expensive, and my current Office suite works fine (I think its 02), but I'm wondering if it may finally be time to bite the bullet. During the course of researching different 07 suites and pricing, I saw a comment somewhere that Office 2007 may not run in Windows 7. Anybody know if there is any truth in this? My current system is Windows XP, so I'm not sure I really need to upgrade my Office suite if everything is working. Plus I hate the idea of spending upwards of $300 for software. I'm just looking for some advice from smart people. Do I get my act together and buy Office 2007, or do I relax and wait til Office 02 breaks? Thanks all!

The early bird may get the worm, but the early worm gets eaten.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:25 AM

Hi and welcome to the WTT forums
:welcome:
MSOffice 2007 runs in Win7........ here's a link to further info;
http://blog.brothers...ft-office-2007/
Its always a personal issue, some folks always like to have the latest version of their Office Suite and are happy to pay the costs involved in constant updating, especially if features that they use constantly (or would like to use) have been improved/added in the latest versions........
I have customers who are using versions of Office a lot older than yours on Win XP and they are perfectly content with it.....

To sum up if your current version does everything you want it to do, then there is an old saying
"if it aint broke don't try to fix it"

On the other hand if you need additional functionalities offered by MSOffice 2007 and either welcome the new ribbon interface (or are prepared to put up with it) then you will need to spend some money!
In my location (UK) it is possible to buy a fully legal and above board "home and student" version of MSOffice 2007 for about £60 (GBP), say about $90 (USD)
Regards
paws

Edited by paws, 07 February 2010 - 10:27 AM.

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 Nahumi

Nahumi

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Technical Support
    Software Development

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:14 PM

I agree that the Home and Student package is is by far the cheapest way to get Office 2007. However, I would suggest that you wait until mid March before you buy anything. There are rumours that Microsoft will be offering free upgrades to Office 2010 if customers purchase Office 2007 after March. This still needs full confirmation, but it means you'll get the brand new version as soon as it comes out with the benefit of having the current one until then. Again, like Paws said, only go for it if you feel like you need it.
Nahumi

Visiting Tech
@jamescpegg | FreeTrakr
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online..

#4 rik_fisher

rik_fisher

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:31 PM

thanks for the advise paws and nahumi! i will def be looking forward to march to find out if that offer really stands! and yeah, my current office suite is definitely not broken - must resist the urge to try something new just because its there! :blush: i think my only actual complain with my version is that when i check my work email from home (Outlook's web application), my system is so old that the interface is reeeeally unwieldy. but that's yet another reason to stop checking my work email at home!

The early bird may get the worm, but the early worm gets eaten.

#5 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:14 PM

:thumbup: It sure is!
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#6 grylee

grylee

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:43 PM

I agree with what everyone else here has said, the Student version is definitely the best way to go if it contains all of the programs that you need, I wanted Outlook though so I had to buy a different version. I didn't see anyone mention the new file extensions in Office 2007. The programs are now saving by default as docx or xlsx files and older versions of Office can not open them. It does give you the ability to save the file as the original doc or xls file but looses formatting in the process. That was the main problem with my running an older version was that I could not open the newer extensions and could not ask my clients to downgrade them for me.

#7 Nahumi

Nahumi

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Technical Support
    Software Development

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:33 PM

I agree with what everyone else here has said, the Student version is definitely the best way to go if it contains all of the programs that you need, I wanted Outlook though so I had to buy a different version. I didn't see anyone mention the new file extensions in Office 2007. The programs are now saving by default as docx or xlsx files and older versions of Office can not open them. It does give you the ability to save the file as the original doc or xls file but looses formatting in the process. That was the main problem with my running an older version was that I could not open the newer extensions and could not ask my clients to downgrade them for me.

There is something called the "Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack", which will allow you to convert .docx files to earlier formats.

It comes in pretty handy in situations where a lot of people are importing documents to and from Office 2003.
Nahumi

Visiting Tech
@jamescpegg | FreeTrakr
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online..