Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Unable to Print & Open Files in Word 2007

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Parry

Parry

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:51 AM

Hi,

I installed novaPDF Lite 7 and tried converting a word file to pdf. It did'nt work but since then I have been facing issues with printing word documents through my laser printer.

1) The 'Print' dialog does not open on pressing Ctrl+P and when i do a quick print i get the following error message attached;
Posted Image

Whereas, I am able to open the 'Print' dialog box in other office applications and print documents.

2) When I try opening any word file from Start Menu>Recent Documents, I am getting the error message as;
Posted Image

3) Am unable to open any word file by browsing through the folders. Only way I can open a word file is through start menu of Word

4) Am also unable to use paste function by pressing Ctrl+V.

5) And for some reasons system restore is also not able to restore to any date prior to the installation.

Have done the following so far;
i) Checked my default printer settings.
ii) Have uninstalled novaPDF.
iii) Have uninstalled & re-installed my laser printer.
iv) Have tried repairing Office from control panel
v) Have tried uninstalling & re-installing Office 2007, but no luck.

Pls assist me in re-solving this issue.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 arTech

arTech

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Photography

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:55 PM

Did you try simply to word documents associate with Office Word 2007?
When you browsing through the folders right click on a word file (whichever) - Open with/Choose Program, select Office Word or Browse to the Office Word exe file in Program files folder and obligatory check box Always use the selected program to open this kind of file. OK.

Word.jpg

Best Regards

Edited by arTech, 30 January 2010 - 05:06 PM.

--- prevent rather than cure / better safe than sorry ---

#3 Parry

Parry

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:11 AM

Thanks arTech for replying.

Yes have checked file extensions; they are linked to word.

#4 arTech

arTech

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:08 AM

Hi Parry try Microsoft Office Diagnostics tool as application you certainly have within MS Office 2007 Suite (I have). go Start/Programs/MS Office/MS Office tools/MS Office Diagnostics. Try also MS Office Suite Service Pack 2. BR

#5 Parry

Parry

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:19 AM

Sorry to miss out on that info at first, have tried that too as one of the troubleshooting steps.

#6 arTech

arTech

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:47 AM

Did you check list of add-ins? It's a small chance, but maybe you find same parts of novaPDF or other unwanted programs here.

#7 Parry

Parry

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:40 AM

Had checked it but still here's a screenshot;

Posted Image

#8 arTech

arTech

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:04 AM

Seems clean to me. I've used Nitro PDF without problems except there were Macro security warning any time. Have you problems with macros? OK now my son confiscates PC, wants to play games. Your case is interesting. I'll be back.

#9 Parry

Parry

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:12 AM

Yeah have Nitro for long now without any issues. Though have'nt used Macros.

Looking forward to your reply.

#10 arTech

arTech

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:55 AM

At the moment have no idea what else to try in Word.

Let's try something in Windows XP (it's difficult to detect because your other Office programs work fine).

I suppose that you checked with Malwarebytes.

Do you have registry backup (because your system restore is useless)? If you haven't, make copy. Use my favorite light registry cleaner CCleaner (I use this tool for the years without problem) and clean registry (make backup again with this tool). In the registry list for deleting that CC shows you maybe recognize parts of novaPDF. If you think that registry cleaning is to riskily, check only part of your choice.

If your XP is missing system-critical files, try to restore it by sfc /scannow in the command prompt line (may require you to insert original CD), more Windows XP System File Checker (Sfc.exe). The last suggestion I've never done by myself.

to be continued

Edited by arTech, 31 January 2010 - 03:14 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Parry

Parry

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:05 AM

Thanks arTech for not giving up on my case. I really appreciate.

Before we go ahead, here's an observation:
When I uninstalled & re-installed Office 2007, all my Quick Access Toolbar Settings & other Word Settings came back intact even though I used CCleaner to delete registry of the uninstalled version of Office. Also, all my recently opened documents were there in Word. Similarly, the printer settings & other settings related to print would have also been there & came back with fresh installation.

When I searched through registry, I found entries related to earlier versions of Office still there in registry such as Office 8.0, Office 10.0, Office 11.0.

Now should I uninstall Office & search manually for all office related registry entries & delete them prior to re-installation.

#12 arTech

arTech

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:30 PM

This is a way to practice English (I know my grammar is bad).

When I mentioned CCleaner I thought cleaning residual keys from novaPDF. This program is guilty for your pain (the problem beginning when you've installed it) - am I right? By the way have you had both programs (Nova and Nitro) at the same time?

Meantime there are new Topic "Copy\Paste function randomly stops working in word, MS Word 2002 on XP" where Doug have new ideas and information.
Try part with Normal.dotm template in Word 2007, because we passed through the rest.

Deleting/changing of a Word registry keys leave on the end.

#13 Parry

Parry

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:32 AM

Bad Luck again :pullhair: , used Microsoft Fix it (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971179).

Also, after it finished used CCleaner to cleanup registry. But still the same issue; all settings reverted back, even the list of recent documents.

#14 arTech

arTech

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:03 AM

Solution

Open Windows Explorer. Select Tools / Folder Options / File Types.

Find and select DOCX Microsoft Office Word 2007 Document.

Click Advanced (that we are)

Select command Open than click Edit.

In the window Application used to perform action on the end of the command line remove %1 or add quotes "%1"

Press OK

Try to open any Word document from Windows Explorer.

Change in Print and Edit or New.

My PC:

Word2007.jpg

Edited by arTech, 02 February 2010 - 04:18 PM.

#15 Parry

Parry

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:38 AM

Good one arTech, will try it out.

What now I can diagnose is that the registry settings of the Office are not getting deleted.

I guess, Fix it din't touch the registry. How else we can get Office out of registry & will it be wise to do that?

Edited by Parry, 03 February 2010 - 01:38 AM.