This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows will shut down

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Running Windows XP It does not give me much time to read but this is basicaly what it syas. NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM DCCOM Service Process terminated unexpectedly and then it reboots. This is random. :pullhair: Now I cannot even run a full virus scan before it shuts off. And now I get this: To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program. Name: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Publisher: Microsoft Corporation
Most of the hits I get searching on this problem indicate some kind of malware. Sevceral said it was caused by a RootKit, which is definitely bad news.

Please go to the Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal forum, read the info there and follow the posted directions. Once you receive a clean bill of health, come back here if you have any additional questions or concerns or it turns out not to be a malware problem.

Please be patient as that is a very busy area. If you do not receive a response in 3 days, post a message here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/What_Do_If_Y…ays_t78698.html

Post back here once you've received a clean bill of health if you still have problems.

While waiting on a response, please backup your data as you may soon find you need to do a Clean Install of XP. Since your computer does not stay up very long, I would try a Linux Live CD like Puppy Linux.

See this post by Happyrck on GeeksToGo for Puppy Linux:
http://www.geekstogo.com/…..=findpost&am…21#entry1197721
Get the latest version available as the one he recommends is no longer easy to find.
I did what was asked but I did post in another part of the forum with the logs from the programs I was able to run. Have shut down on a regular basis. Since I did post in another part it may be best to close this post as I realise it is not good to have 2 post at the same time. Thank you.
If the screen keeps going blue with white writing (AKA BSOD or Blue Screen Of Death) what you can do to get a longer look at it is: 1) Windows Key & Pause/Break Key — OR — 1) Right Click "My Computer" from Start menu (Or desktop if it isn't a shortcut) 2) Click the "Advanced" Tab 3) Under the "Startup And Recovery" Section, click "Settings" 4) Untick "Automatically Restart" under the "System failure" section 5) Press OK and restart N.B. You will need to be logged in as a local administrator to do this If that isn't your problem and you get a box appear on screen that is similar to the one that i have attached then simply opening the "Run" command and typing "shutdown -a" (Without Quote Marks) should abort the shutdown. if that doesn't work then you may have a more serious underlying problem that is too hard (for me) to diagnose without seeing the computer for myself. I hope this helps with your problem.

Attachments:

lourdes15301, we never close posts in this forum. I see your malware post, so someone should get with you in the next day or two, as it's a very busy place. Post back in this thread if they don't resolve your problem and we'll see what else we can do to help. Also some good info from Duey.
The running of shutdown-a did stop the shutdown but I must get to the problem. I do believe when I get this fixed I will mirror the HD to another HD just to have a backup.
Reply from my other posting: You issues do not appear to be malware related Please continue with your thread in the tech forum. I shall wait to hear from you.
Do you have a XP Install CD? If so, please try running System File Checker as follows:

Click on Start then Run, type sfc /scannow and press Enter

This will scan your system files and replace any that are missing or corrupt with good ones from the CD. There is no indicatuion when it completes, it just goes away. If you can do this, see if it fixes the problem.
Another good day - I learned something. I put all of my original CD's in a safe place now if I could just remember where that place is. I used a copy of my original OS CD and it worked like you said. I guess time will tell. If files were compromised could it be the HD not reading it? I did purchase a program that I have used in the past called Spinrite 6 when I had a read write problem but for the life of me I cannot remember under what problem I had. Do not believe that things get better when you get older, you just cannot remember the bad things.

Do not believe that things get better when you get older, you just cannot remember the bad things.


Yes to the above, but the young have so many fewer things to try to remember. :)

Spinrite is a good tool, if your problem is being caused by hard disk "file structure" corruption.

It's always a good idea to be sure that your saved data and important files are backed up before launching such a utility.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI