This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Disaster after Restart

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

One morning I started up my laptop (a Gateway 4530 running Windows Vista Business) to find that it was running at a snails pace. I immediately tried to open task manager, only to receive an error (which I think said that permission had been denied). I thought that my machine was probably infected, so I downloaded AVG Free Antivirus and Antispyware. I ran a scan and fix, which removed a few things and allowed me to open task manager again. I scheduled a daily scan using the software, but everything slowed down again a few days later. It is so bad now that I immediately open task manager at start up and end the explorer.exe task, and use task manager to run any programs that I need. However I would like to try and do something to fix the problem. I downloaded HijackThis yesterday and can post the log if it would provide additional help. Thanks in advance for any assistance that you all could provide.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI