This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] "Your Computer is Infected" Wallpaper

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi there! I would love to be able to load all the programs to scan my computer as directed in the "Are you Infected" article, but the computer in question has been messed up so badly that it won't boot up correctly to do anything. My daughter had gotten the green wallpaper with the "Your Computer is Infected" background and the pop ups about Trojans and the like. Some internet safety 2010 program loaded as well. She had Webroot on her computer and although it found the two malware items, when the items were quarantined, there was nothing changed. I loaded up Spybot Search & Destroy and ran the scan which found a ton of stuff. BUT before I could check what each item was, my daughter clicked "Fix Problems" and although it seemed to be working okay - the computer shut down and upon trying to reboot it, there was a problem. The computer came up to the log in screen but no sooner did she log in that the computer immediately logged her off. I restarted the computer and tried to run it in safe mode and the darn thing won't run in safe mode of any kind. It just scrolls the directory and takes me back to the Safe Mode menu. I tried to take it back to the latest configuration that worked and that did nothing. How do I fix this? Is this even fixable without getting outside help? The computer is only 5 months old - could this be something that is covered because it is new? I apologize if I am doing this all wrong, but I need help and really don't have the money to take it somewhere to be fixed. Thanks much!
My name is SweetTech. I would be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems. I'd be grateful if you would note the following:
  • Logs from malware removal programs (DDS is one of them) can take some time to analyze. I need you to be patient while I analyze any logs you post.
  • Please make sure to carefully read any instruction that I give you.
    Reading too lightly will cause you to miss important steps, which could have destructive effects.
  • If you're not sure, or if something unexpected happens, do NOT continue! Stop and ask!
  • These instructions have been specifically tailored to your computer and the issues you are experiencing with your computer. It's important to note that these instructions are not suitable for any other computer, even if the issues are fairly similar.
  • Do not do things I do not ask for, such as running a spyware scan on your computer. The one thing that you should always do, is to make sure sure that your anti-virus definitions are up-to-date!
  • If I instruct you to download a specific tool in which you already have, please delete the copy that you have and re-download the tool. The reason I ask you to do this is because these tools are updated fairly regularly.
  • I am going to stick with you until ALL malware is gone from your system. I would appreciate it if you would do the same. From this point, we're in this together ;)
    Because of this, you must reply within five days
    . I will post a reminder should you seem to fail to do this, however, if you fail to reply within three days then,
    unless I have been notified of your absence in advance, the topic shall be closed!
  • Lastly, I am no magician. I will try very hard to fix your issues, but no promises can be made. Also be aware that some infections are so severe that you might need to resort to reformatting and reinstalling your operating system.
    Don't worry, this only happens in severe cases, but it sadly does happen. Be prepared to back up your data. Have means of backing up your data available.
PLEASE NOTE: Please be advised, as I am still in training, all my replies to you will be checked for accuracy by one of our experts to ensure that I am giving you the best possible advise.
This may cause a delay, but I will do my best to keep it as short as possible.

I am checking over your log, I will post back shortly with instructions.
Hello cooper0628,

I am going under the assumption that the infected computer has Windows XP as it's Operating System. If this is incorrect please inform me in your next post.

How do I fix this?

We will attempt to fix this together. It's very important that you pay special attention to my instructions and following them exactly as specified. If you do not understand something please STOP and ask me for clarification.

Is this even fixable without getting outside help?

I am unsure. I will do my best, to assist you in getting your computer cleaned up. However, I am unable to predict what may happen in the cleaning process.

The computer is only 5 months old - could this be something that is covered because it is new?

I do not believe that this would be covered by a warranty.


Questions for you to Answer:

Do you have access to a Windows XP Disc?
If you don't have a Windows XP Disc would you be able to borrow one from a friend?
If you do borrow a Disc from a friend please make sure that the disc is the same version of Windows that you have installed.
Hello cooper0628! It's been several days since I last posted instructions for you to complete. Do you still require assistance in getting your computer cleaned up? Thanks, SweetTech.
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI