This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Upgrading to SP3 on XP home

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My PC is running on XP home with SP2. I am happy with the way it runs and have no issues. I have heard various comments that windows will soon not support XP SP2, assuming this is true should I upgrade to SP3? Again I have heard of issues after SP3 has been installed and I dont really want the hassle. It is likely to be about a year to 18 months before I would consider upgrading my PC and going for win7. Any thoughts on this welcome. thanks
As long as you continue to receive updates for SP2, you can stay with it, though I think the hype about SP3 is just that, hype. It applies and runs fine on most systems. Some steps to take before installing SP3:

1. Make sure you are free of any malware
2. Clean up you hard drive. See here: Clean up your hard drive now and here: Free up space - long term
3. Download the SP3 executable or SP3 iso image(to create a CD from), rather than doing this via Windows Update.

When you install SP3, it will create a System Restore Point so if problems do occur, you can go back to before the install. It would be a good idea to follow the directions for managing your System Restore space in the 1st link above, titled: To delete all but the most recent System Restore point, do the following:, that way you improve the chances of System Restore actually working if needed.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI