Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

What are these strange symbols...;==>–

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:15 PM

Dear Person;....

1st off; A VERRY Happy , Healthy , Prosperous & Safe New Year to EVERYBODY...

This is NOT a problem....Just a nuscience....

Now to my question;...

I'm getting a series of strange symbols in some of my emails....
I strongly think it's the sender that originates them....Not totally sure , tho....
I do not see these symbols on any websites I visit....Yet....
Here is a sample of what I'm talking about;==>

• Who’s going to get “done” this season?<<== Anybody want to decipher that one ???

• Even as you’re online gaming..

“The Automatic Income Coach”

Some of those that I have requested to stop sending that type of print have done so..
Others have not & they were unsubscribed from after fair warnings were given.....

My questions are;
What are those symbols called ???
WHY are they using them ???
Does it have to do with getting thru Spam filters ???
How come I don't have them on my keyboard ???

Thanks for your anticipated help...

Once again; Posted Image

Later...Ron.M.... B) .....

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:39 PM

Dear People;....

At the time of this posting , it's been over 2 weeks now & 88 people have read these posts....
NOT a one of you bothered to answer my questions.... <_< .....
They're NOT hard questions..... :) ....I think !!!
One of you good people must know what those symbols are....Ya think ???

An accurate answer will be appreciated....
THANK you VERY much..... :D ....

Later...Ron.M.... B) ....

#3 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:23 PM

Ron.M While I do occasionally see such characters at Websites, blogs, and email I've never given much attention to it as a problem. What I've noticed: - usually occurs: -- at the beginning of a sentence or paragraph -- in words that include "contractions" such as aren't and don't -- When numerals are part of a phrase -- When special formatting is involved -- When capitalization is involved -- at or near punctuation in a sentence or paragraph -- if it happens with a particular word or phrase, it tends to repeat if there are additional instances of the word or phrase My best "guess" is that the phenomenon has to do with the way html or xtml or other, handles plain and rich text characters. As to the "location" of the problem... It is a problem with the original source coding. Therefore "everyone" or most everyone using the same browser or email client or ISP caching service, who views the page or email would "see" the same strange characters. The "author" may not see it that way, because their preview may be accessing their cached document, therefore they publish without realizing the problem. Keep in mind that websites are designed and written to be browsed by IE, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Safari, and the plethora of browsers specific to Linux distros. And hopefully also take account of the various "versions" of each of the named browsers. Plus all the download managers and page caching services provided by various ISPs. That's a huge task. Sometimes website authors make mistakes. Sometimes email clients do not completely handle all "fonts", special characters, and punctuation. Occasionally if you discover such odd characters when viewing an email in "plain text", the characters may appear correctly if you momentarily "allow email to be viewed in html" <-- for security purposes, not a good idea. I don't have a "comprehensive" "encyclopedic" answer to the phenomenon. I'm certain that such particulars are the stuff that make website authoring/proof reading a nightmare for the original author. That's all I've got. Doug
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#4 Jacee

Jacee

SuperHelper

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 7,695 posts
  • MVP

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:08 PM

I've always thought that the original message was written in MS Word, then copied and pasted .... which didn't copy the original right, for the form being used.

MS MVP-Security 2006~2016

#5 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:50 PM

Doug & Jacee:....

THANK you both for your speedy & informative replies...
Especially Doug.....

Have a GREAT weekend....

I'll consider this thread closed.... :D ......

Later...Ron.M.... B) .....