This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

What are these strange symbols...;==>–

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Dear Person;….

1st off; A VERRY Happy , Healthy , Prosperous & Safe New Year to EVERYBODY…

This is NOT a problem….Just a nuscience….

Now to my question;…

I'm getting a series of strange symbols in some of my emails….
I strongly think it's the sender that originates them….Not totally sure , tho….
I do not see these symbols on any websites I visit….Yet….
Here is a sample of what I'm talking about;==>

•

• Who’s going to get “done” this season?<<== Anybody want to decipher that one ???

• Even as you’re online gaming..

“The Automatic Income Coach”

Some of those that I have requested to stop sending that type of print have done so..
Others have not & they were unsubscribed from after fair warnings were given…..

My questions are;
What are those symbols called ???
WHY are they using them ???
Does it have to do with getting thru Spam filters ???
How come I don't have them on my keyboard ???

Thanks for your anticipated help…

Once again; [external image: Posted Image]



Later…Ron.M…. B) …..
Dear People;….

At the time of this posting , it's been over 2 weeks now & 88 people have read these posts….
NOT a one of you bothered to answer my questions…. <_< …..
They're NOT hard questions….. :) ….I think !!!
One of you good people must know what those symbols are….Ya think ???

An accurate answer will be appreciated….
THANK you VERY much….. :D ….


Later…Ron.M…. B) ….
Ron.M While I do occasionally see such characters at Websites, blogs, and email I've never given much attention to it as a problem. What I've noticed: - usually occurs: – at the beginning of a sentence or paragraph – in words that include "contractions" such as aren't and don't – When numerals are part of a phrase – When special formatting is involved – When capitalization is involved – at or near punctuation in a sentence or paragraph – if it happens with a particular word or phrase, it tends to repeat if there are additional instances of the word or phrase My best "guess" is that the phenomenon has to do with the way html or xtml or other, handles plain and rich text characters. As to the "location" of the problem… It is a problem with the original source coding. Therefore "everyone" or most everyone using the same browser or email client or ISP caching service, who views the page or email would "see" the same strange characters. The "author" may not see it that way, because their preview may be accessing their cached document, therefore they publish without realizing the problem. Keep in mind that websites are designed and written to be browsed by IE, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Safari, and the plethora of browsers specific to Linux distros. And hopefully also take account of the various "versions" of each of the named browsers. Plus all the download managers and page caching services provided by various ISPs. That's a huge task. Sometimes website authors make mistakes. Sometimes email clients do not completely handle all "fonts", special characters, and punctuation. Occasionally if you discover such odd characters when viewing an email in "plain text", the characters may appear correctly if you momentarily "allow email to be viewed in html" <– for security purposes, not a good idea. I don't have a "comprehensive" "encyclopedic" answer to the phenomenon. I'm certain that such particulars are the stuff that make website authoring/proof reading a nightmare for the original author. That's all I've got. Doug
I've always thought that the original message was written in MS Word, then copied and pasted …. which didn't copy the original right, for the form being used.
Doug & Jacee:….

THANK you both for your speedy & informative replies…
Especially Doug…..

Have a GREAT weekend….

I'll consider this thread closed…. :D ……

Later…Ron.M…. B) …..

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI