Grumple, if you want a serious answer you have to give us some serious information. I mean basically you have said, "I have a problem. How do I fix it?"
Telling us what program you are talking about would be a good first step…
Hi Apple,
Well I was keeping it fairly generic to keep the responses as open as possible - in the hope that many varied ideas could come up and possibly help a wide variety of people in the future…
But I take your point!
The program is 3ds max 2010 (not mine this time, mine is sorted!)
The spec of the computer is:
Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook Series P
Windows XP Pro SP3
Intel Core 3 Duo CPU U9400@1.4GHz
1.95GB RAM
149GB hard drive
The program installation went without a hitch, but when you try to start it up nothing happens.
I have a program with a similar issue on my own machine, but I know it is a problem related to the user accounts (it works on some, not on others) and have given up the fight with it for now…
The computer with this new issue only has one user account, so I don't think it can be the same problem.
Is there not a kind of system log file in the background of windows which might record what is happening?
Thanks in advance for any advice or ideas, the knowledge of you clever types is very much appreciated!
Check in Event Viewer, see if there are any indications of what the problem is. It's as close to a background log file as you are going to find in a Windows Operating System.
Hi, there could be a whole range of things that could be causing the problem.
These are the things that I would check first…they may be useful as an aide memoire:
1 Do other programs install and load OK?
2 Was the install done correctly…
3 Was AV and firewall disabled , all windows closed and no "extra" processes running?
4 Was the correct version for the OS used for the install?
5 32 or 64 bit versions?……(appropriate for OS?)
6 Computer spec in accordance with the developer's recommendations?
7 System Restore Point created prior to install?
8 Registry backed up prior to install ( Erunt etc?)
9 Disc image taken prior to install?
10 Any previous versions (or similar) correctly uninstalled prior to install? ( reboots and registry clean +final reboot etc?)
The SOP here is to uninstall the application (fully) reboot, clean the Registry of any remnants (use the search facility) remove any remnant files/folders then a final reboot and a fresh install either from the disc or a fresh download.
Regards
paws
Hi Paws,
Thanks for that.
Trouble is, they've already re-installed once and are getting a little 'frustrated' with the issue now…
If they uninstalled again, and made sure everything was clean - then installed and had the same problem… What could be stopping this work?!
if they are getting frustrated after one reinstall then the chances are…..they didn't do it right!
I would ask them specifically to comment on each of the items 1 to 10 in my previous post…and check and double check each one.
An interesting part of "human nature" is that folks sometimes repeat all the steps in a process ( including any errors) and expect a different result the second time around…..
All good wishes for Christmas and I hope they get it fixed OK
Regards
paws
Similar to the problem you have with this same program on your own computer, have you tried to create a NEW user account on the effected machine to see if the program will start?
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI