This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

focus stealing issue

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi. I started a thread in the Infection Removal forum:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Something_st…PC_t108414.html
CatByte suggested I look for help here as my problem doesn't seem to be the result of an infection.

As I said in the other thread:
I'll be watching something full screen on my PC like a movie or TV episode and suddenly it pops out of fullscreen and goes into the background as if a new window had popped up, but nothing has popped up. Just now as I was typing the word "watching" in this post, the window suddenly went into the background and the letters I was typing stopped showing up on the screen. and the blue title bar at the top of the screen faded out. Whatever window is active suddenly becomes inactive, but nothing else shows up in the foreground. I don't really know how else to describe it.

That's it in a nutshell. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers!
Peanut Butter,

Sounds like an AVG issue.

There is apparently a patch available at AVG, and a fix in the works for an upcoming program update.

http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum…1015#post_41015

please be informed that this situation will be fixed in near AVG program update.

As temporary fix before the release you could use attached "avgcpnfx.zip" utility by following these steps:
- download and extract it to new empty folder
- run extracted “avgcpnfx.exe”
(if you are using Windows Vista/Seven, please right-click on it and choose “Run As Administrator”.

Please be informed that computer restart or user re-login is needed to apply changes.

Thank you
***************AVG Team

http://forums.avg.com/attachment/freeforum/ww/41015/113
If that doesn't fix it, try the following:

You want to prevent any application from stealing focus over an application you're currently working on.

Try this registry tweak:

Copy and paste the following bold red text in Notepad..

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"ForegroundFlashCount"=dword:00000000
"ForegroundLockTimeout"=dword:00030d40


Click Save As from the File menu
Select All Files from the Save As Type menu in the Save As dialog box
Save this file with a ".reg" extension, as in mynewfile.reg
Locate and right-click your newly-created file and then select Merge
When prompted, choose Yes
Reboot Windows to effect changes

This tells Windows to prevent any application window from popping up in front of your current one and instead only flash ths icon in the taskbar.

You could also just use regedit to make the above changes, or install Microsoft's TweakUI, see here:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsxp/ht…lingfocus01.htm
Tomk, thanks. I've done that and will see what happens. I really hope that's it. Ztruker, I've already done that regedit and it didn't work. Thanks though.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI