Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91911 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Browser Problems

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dakotasjag

dakotasjag

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:01 PM

Hi, I am new here. About a month or so ago I started having problems with browsing (in both IE 8 and Firefox 3, although more noticably with IE). I have always loaded the most recent updates when prompted to do so. I'm not sure if my problem is related to the browser or (some settings), Java and updates, or perhaps some blocker programs inad vertantly running on my system. My broadband speeds up and down are very good. Typically when I try to pull up a site it seems to take a long time to load and frequently will not load. I usually have to hit refresh 5 or 6 times and it finally might come up. If I cant get it to come up in IE I switch to Firefox an sometimes it eventually works after several refreshes/reloads. I have run Ad-Aware, Spybot, Malware Bytes Anti Malware, Super Antispyware and no problems are found. I also have free versions of AVG and Zone Alarm as well as Windows Defender. A couple of days ago AVG strte3d indicating a tracking cookie was located callede revski and or sqlite. This seems to happen when I start Firefox. I also have installed and used free version of Eusing Registry cleaner and ATF Cleaner. Any help on how I can get back to browsing normally in a realistic amount of time would be appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 feranm_ie8team

feranm_ie8team

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:35 PM

Perhaps you should try running IE in no add-ons mode. Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) to see if an add-on is causing the problem. If this fixes the issue, then go to Tools -> Manage Add-ons and change the Show setting on the left to All Add-ons, then select all of the add-ons listed and click Disable All. You can then enable the add-ons one by one to find which one is causing the problem. Hope that helps. Feran Internet Explorer Outreach Team

#3 dakotasjag

dakotasjag

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:57 AM

Hi Feran, Thanks that was worth a shot (I was not aware that option existed..... good to know). Unfortunatey I did not improve things so I guess at least that indicates browser add on's are not causing the problem.

#4 LDTate

LDTate

Forum God

• Root Admin
  • 57,172 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:13 PM

http://support.micro...kb/813444/en-us

Try Method 5

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom

#5 dakotasjag

dakotasjag

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:29 PM

Hi, Sorry I have not had time to get on and reply....... I tried #5 but it was of no help. Things are so slow when it comes to web browsing I have pretty much given up on trying to go online using this machine. I deleted the other accounts on this system hoping that would have some impact but it seems not to help any either. None of the virus, add scan programs etc come up with any problems either.... except AVG which always flags a cookie called revsci , sqlite (something like that) every time I start Firefox. Best I can tell though it removes it each time so I dont think that is what is causing it. Thanks

#6 LDTate

LDTate

Forum God

• Root Admin
  • 57,172 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:31 PM

You may wish to try StartupLite. Simply download this tool to your desktop and run it. It will explain any optional auto-start programs on your system, and offer the option to stop these programs from starting at startup. This will result in fewer programs running when you boot your system, and should improve performance.

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom

#7 dakotasjag

dakotasjag

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:37 PM

Hi, Worth a shot (but only the browsing is slow) everything else seems to respond well. Sometimes I try to bring up the webpage from IE and try to load it numerous times and nothing happens, then I go to Firefox and try it and it might come up (if Im lucky) after trying it several times. Hmmmm..... I was able to successfully download StartupLite but when I execute it I only get some skeleton graphics and some text on top but it does not show the processes or their names..... just a partial draw of boxes on the side which I assume is probaly a listing of the processes running. I downloaded StartupLite 6 times (and it all seems to be there , 199 kb occupying 200kb of drive space).......... but on execution I always get the same output. As much as I hate to think about it it may be time to reload this system. Im thinking I started noticing the problems after IE 8 and or some Java updates were loaded (just my best guess)..... a lot like the site is being tempoarily blocked then it comes up (hopefully), but I dont get any messages saying the site was blocked. I also tried disabling the blockers I know I have installed but apparently they are not the ones causing the problem. Is it possible some cookie (maybe the revsci) coud be causing it? Thanks

#8 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:01 AM

This may be "way off" from your eventual solution, but may be worth investigating. Even though you mention that most other applications and processes display just fine, and the problem only occurs when attempting to open a browser, it could be your Screen Resolution. If you have an LCD Screen, it has a "Native Resolution" which may be the "only" resolution available, or may be "the best" recommended resolution. LCD screens use bundles of (3) three pixels for any one point of presentation. When considering the full area of the screen and all the clusters of (3) three pixels available, the screen manufacturer will have recommended a "native" screen resolution that should give you the best appearance. For instance, if the proportion is 16:9, then the "native" resolution may be 1920 X 1080 The only other resolutions that will display without distortion, are native-resolution neatly divisible by the number (3) three. All other resolutions not neatly divisible by (3) three may cause distortion, slow/laggy presentation or other problems. Just to confirm... Are all other programs, applications and utilities functioning properly and with good visual presentation. If they are, then my suggestion is probably "way off base".
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#9 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:06 AM

The information you post about
revsci and sqlite cookies may be incomplete.

If you are getting error messages or something mentioning these items, please post the entire exact message.

Do you have SQlite databas utility installed on this machine?

Would you like to learn how to block revsci?

Go Tools->Internet Options->Privacy and click Sites.

You can then add revsci.com and ads.revsci.net/adserver to your list of blocked sites so that cookies from that site are refused automatically.

In Firefox, Ad-Blocker add-on will also automatically block that cookie.

#10 dakotasjag

dakotasjag

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:10 PM

Hi,

I dont seem to be having any display resolution problems...... all graphics appear fine. My browsers (and all other apps) come up it is just that when I click links most never come up like they are being blocked. I never had this problem up until about 4-6 weeks ago and I dont recall adding anything that could be causing it. If I hit stop and refresh multiple times it might come up..... some never do, usually in IE8. In those cases I then give up or switch to Firefox. Usually I have better luck with it and after trying to load the site 4 or 5 times it comes up. For instance my internet provider is Windstream. The mainpage URL is www.windstream.net ....... once it comes up (sometimes it does, sometimes it does not) on the upper right side of the screen there is a link that says CHECK EMAIL . It should bring me to the web e-mail logon page. Since this problem started happening I have never been able to get to the webmail page from the mainpage using IE8. In the past it worked fine from this computer and it still works fine if I try it from other folks computers. It almost seems like something is blocking it. I found a link that takes me directly to the webmail login panel ( http://webmail.windstream.net/). From IE the login URL sometimes works and frequenty if it does come up I try to login and most of the time get a message saying there is a problem. If I then try the email login from Firefox I am able to get in on more occassions than if I try from IE. This is just an example and there are many other URL's that exhibit the same behavior from this system. Switching from IE to Firefox gives me better chance at getting in but I still may have to try reloading multiple times before I get in even from Firefox...... and these sites are easily accessible when I try from another computer. So the links/sites are good. Then there are other sites that I try to access using this system and they come up fine using IE and Firefox without the need to reload multiple times. I deleted IE anf Firefox and reinstalled but that did not help.

Onto revsci........ I followed your direction above for Firefox but AVG (version 9.0.733) still seems to flag it. whenever I start Firefox. Seems like it try's to load each time (and I have no idea if this is in any way resonsible for my problem) . I have included an attachment with the AVG informational level message. It pops up for a couple of seconds and goes away. When I go into the AVG Resident Shield which I believe is the part of AVG that detects it, the Resident Shield is always active but "Threats Detected And Blocked" is always 0 count. I do have resident shield set to "Remove All Thrests Automatically" and "Scan for Tracking Cookies". No other programs seem to pick up on this as a threat (Spybot, Ad-Ware, Super Anti Spyware, Malware Bytes Anti Malware, Zone Alarm). I also tried to search my registry for "revsci" entries and found none but did come up with one instance of "revski". Could it be there is some blocker in IE 8 that is active and was not present in previous versions of IE?

Thanks

Attached Files

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 dakotasjag

dakotasjag

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:20 PM

Oh,,,,,, I forgot to mention StartupLite now works fine. After rebooting no problems. When I ran it the other day there were only 5 or 6 entries in it and they all had the disabled box checked. I just ran it now and the only entry is for CTFMON.EXE and the disabled box is checked (im not sure why the other stuff I saw the other day is not present). I expected to see lots of stuff as when I go to the Processes tab from Task Manager there are loads of things running that I have no idea what they do or why they are running.

#12 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:47 PM

Oh,,,,,, I forgot to mention StartupLite now works fine. After rebooting no problems. When I ran it the other day there were only 5 or 6 entries in it and they all had the disabled box checked. I just ran it now and the only entry is for CTFMON.EXE and the disabled box is checked (im not sure why the other stuff I saw the other day is not present). I expected to see lots of stuff as when I go to the Processes tab from Task Manager there are loads of things running that I have no idea what they do or why they are running.

StartUpLite by Malwarebytes is a "selectively intelligent" utility that targets specific applications and processes known to impact startup and system resources.
It only "looks" for specific items and ignores others that it considers less important.

Here's the list of what StartUpLite "looks for" and allows you to disable.
http://forums.malwar...?showtopic=1248

If you wish to attain greater control over your StartUps, consider CodeStuff Starters

I'll continue researching regarding your other issues.

#13 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,807 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:12 PM

Try the following, see if they help:

For these commands, click on Start, Run, type CMD and press Enter to open a command prompt:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog
Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults: netsh int ip reset reset.log
Clear ARP Cache: netsh interface ip delete arpcache
Flush DNS cache: ipconfig /flushdns

Edited by Ztruker, 30 January 2010 - 05:13 PM.

Rich

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#14 dakotasjag

dakotasjag

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:18 PM

Hi, I tried those commands the other day but I'm not really seeing any chanage in behavior. One thing I neglected to mention in past postings was that most of the time when a page does load often the little symbol that displays when it is loading (for instance in Firefox, the little circular whirly jig thing) continues to go around like it is still trying to load. I can hit the red X at the top of the menu to stop it and then the circular icon stops going around. Otherwise it does not seem to stop on its own. Another thing I noticed in Firefox . If I go to Tools, Options, Privacy tab (attachment shows settings) --- I select "Never remember History" and hit OK to save it. With that setting it seems to make the "Accept cookies" stuff unavailable (grayed out) which I think is what I want (??), But when I go back in it is always reset to what you see in the attachment. .... in which cookies are accepted from sites and third parties. If I hit show cookies there are all sorts of cookies in there including revsci. I delete them and hit close. But when I go back in all those cookies are right back in there. Is it possible something is on my system causing the settings in this panel to reset with all that cookie stuff enabled?.... and maybe that is the source of my problem???? Thanks

Attached Images

• Privacy_Tab_jpg.JPG

#15 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,807 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:10 PM

I don't normally refer people elsewhere, but in this case I think posting in the FF support forum would get you better and quicker help with this:

http://forums.mozill...wforum.php?f=38

I'm not a FF user as I use SeaMonkey which is a lot like FF but has it's differences. I have it installed for testing purposes though and just upgraded to FF 3.6.

I've also never turned off browser history as I rely on that to tell me where I've been.

Ditto with cookies. People seem to get all worked up about them but they are not in and of themselves malicious or damaging. They are like bread crumbs, leaving a trail of where you've been so the next time you go back there the site can offer a more personalized display. I do this on my own web site. This is how I can tell people when new pictures or messages have been posted.

Rich

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.