This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Desktop blank

27 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi nojelo,

Has your computer always been a little slow?

You have a lot of old vulnerable java installed.

Open Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and uninstall

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 3
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 7
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 8
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 11
Java™ SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1
Java™ 6 Update 2
Java™ 6 Update 3
Java™ 6 Update 5
Java™ 6 Update 7


Do not uninstall Java TM 6 Update 13 :yeah:

Now get the latest java update. Click your start button, open Control panel.
  • Locate the Java icon (it looks like a coffee cup)
  • double click it to open it
  • click the Update tab
  • Click update now


Next, clear the java cache

To clear the Java Plug-in cache:
  • Click Start > Control Panel.
  • Double-click the Java icon in the control panel.
  • On the General tab, Click Settings under Temporary Internet Files.
  • On the Temporary Files Settings screen, Click Delete Files.
  • check all boxes
  • Click OK

After the java is updated, reboot your computer if not prompted to.



Download and save to your desktop Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediatly.
Please post back with the MBAM log.

Thanks
Oldman, Here's the MBAM log you requested. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41 Database version: 3283 Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 12/2/2009 7:31:55 PM mbam-log-2009-12-02 (19-31-55).txt Scan type: Quick Scan Objects scanned: 165552 Time elapsed: 12 minute(s), 22 second(s) Memory Processes Infected: 0 Memory Modules Infected: 0 Registry Keys Infected: 20 Registry Values Infected: 0 Registry Data Items Infected: 0 Folders Infected: 0 Files Infected: 1 Memory Processes Infected: (No malicious items detected) Memory Modules Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Keys Infected: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\gnucdna.core (Adware.WhenU) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{89dc33a2-f86f-42a1-8b5f-d4d1943efc9c} (Adware.WhenU) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{cf54be1c-9359-4395-8533-1657cf209cfe} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{a4730ebe-43a6-443e-9776-36915d323ad3} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{f02c0ae1-d796-42c9-81e1-084d88f79b8e} (Adware.WhenU) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{d518921a-4a03-425e-9873-b9a71756821e} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{2850bdc7-2330-4e31-9fa0-88268846539a} (Adware.WhenU) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{56256a51-b582-467e-b8d4-7786eda79ae0} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{59c7fc09-1c83-4648-b3e6-003d2bbc7481} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{68af847f-6e91-45dd-9b68-d6a12c30e5d7} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{9170b96c-28d4-4626-8358-27e6caeef907} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{d1a71fa0-ff48-48dd-9b6d-7a13a3e42127} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{ddb1968e-ead6-40fd-8dae-ff14757f60c7} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{f138d901-86f0-4383-99b6-9cdd406036da} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{56256a51-b582-467e-b8d4-7786eda79ae0} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Fun Web Products (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MyWebSearch (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Fun Web Products (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\RunDll32Policy\f3ScrCtr.dll (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Schemes\f3pss (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. Registry Values Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Data Items Infected: (No malicious items detected) Folders Infected: (No malicious items detected) Files Infected: C:\SystemLook.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. Thanks! Nora
Hi nojelo,


Don't worry about the file detected and remove by MBAM. It's a legitamate program we downloaded. MBAM was just complaining about the location.


One more scan.

*Note
It is recommended to disable onboard antivirus program and antispyware programs while performing scans so there are no conflicts and it will speed up scan time.
Please don't go surfing while your resident protection is disabled!
Once the scan is finished remember to re-enable your antivirus along with your antispyware programs.



Please go to Kaspersky website and perform an online antivirus scan.
  • Read through the requirements and privacy statement and click on Accept button.
  • It will start downloading and installing the scanner and virus definitions.
  • You will be prompted to install an application from Kaspersky. Click Run.
  • When the downloads have finished, click on Settings.
  • Make sure these boxes are checked (ticked). If they are not, please tick them and click on the Save button
    • Spyware, Adware, Dialers, and other potentially dangerous programs
    • Archives
    • Mail databases
  • Click on My Computerr under Scan.
  • Once the scan is complete, it will display the results. Click on View Scan Report.
  • You will see a list of infected items there. Click on Save Report As….
  • Change the Files of type to Text file (.txt)
  • Set the Save In to Desktop
  • click the Save button.
  • Please post this log in your next reply.
Thanks
Hi Oldman, I copied the following message from the Kaspersky site: The Kaspersky Online Virus Scanner is being updated and improved! But you don’t have to wait to protect your computer. Scan, detect and remove malware with a FREE 30-day trial of our latest, most advanced security protection. As you can see they're updating and improving their virus scanner. I'll check their site again tomorrow to see if the free scan is available. Thanks. Nora
Hi nojelo,

Ok. It's strange that you recieved that message, I just tried it and it seems to work. It's in the process of downloading as I type this. Did you use the link I provided in the previous post?

Kaspersky
Hi nojelo,

Yeah I wish they would remove hat page.

It doesn't look to bad. The majority of the detections are this one file KazaaUpdate131.exe. I do not see that program Kazaa installed on your computer. Has it been uninstalled?

C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.SearchIt.t 1
C:\Program Files\Common Files\aolback\Comps\toolbar\toolbr.exe Infected: not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.SearchIt.t 1


This is related to Aol. I see several Aol products installed. Do you still use them? Do you actually use this Toolbar?

The rest of the detectons are files your Symantec (Norton) antivirus has all read y quarantined.

Let me know about Kazza and the toolbar. How is the computer?

Thanks
Sorry about the two responses. Pre-coffee! As I was saying, I don't use the aol toolbar. They're my e-mail provider but I use IE. It seems better but it's painfully slow when it tries to connect to the internet. It takes a couple minutes for it to open my home page. It's not a new thing. It's been like that for sometime. I have a ton of music and pictures on a 6 year old computer so I'm sure that doesn't help. Anyway, thanks for all the help. Nora
Hi nojelo,

If you don't use the Aol ToolBar, you may want to uninstall it. It might help speed up your browsing.

  • Open Internet Explorer.
  • Click the Settings button that is located on the right of your AOL toolbar.
  • Select Help, and then select Uninstall Toolbar.
  • Restart the browser to complete the uninstallation process

Have you ever defragmanted this computer?

We'll take care of the Kazaa item ater you reply.

Thanks
Hi Oldman, I uninstalled the AOL toolbar. Yes I have defragmented the computer. It's probably been a couple months however. Thanks. Nora
Hi nojelo,

A defrag may help.

Let's remove the kazaa item. It will be quick and painless.

Next, Double click on OTL.exe
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following
  • Do Not copy the word CODE
  • please note the fix starts with the :
:Files
C:\Documents and Settings\Nora Long\My Documents\My Music\My Shared Folder\KazaaUpdate131.exe

Then click the Run Fix button at the top
    Did removing the Aol Toolbar help with your browser?

    Your current antivirus program is AVG 8.5. You used to use Norton (Symantec), did you run the Norton removal tool when you uninstalled it?
Okay it worked and the removal of the Kazaa file was successful. I actually timed how long it takes to get to my home page and it's 45 seconds. I know I said a couple of minutes but at my age 45 seconds seems like a couple of minutes. It hasn't changed since the AOL removal. In regards to Norton, I generally use the Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel but it's been so long since I've had Norton I don't remember. What security software would you recommend? Is AVG good? I used to have Zone Alarm along with AVG, but when I downloaded one of Zone Alarm's updates my system seemed to be funky so I uninstalled it. Thanks. Nora
Hi nojelo,

AVG is ok. Like any antivrus program if will miss some things.

I will make some recommendation regarding programs when we are finished.

Let's see if there are any traces of Norton left.

Download the Norton Removal Tool from HERE and save it to your desktop.

Next Double click on Norton_Removal_Tool.exe to run the tool.

Follow the on-screen instructions.
Your computer may be restarted more than once, and you may be asked to repeat some steps after the computer restarts.

Just for fun let's see if your homepage opens any faster if we run IE this way.

Copy and paste these instructions into a notepad and save it to your desktop as you will need to close all IE browsers.

Click your start button > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools

Click on Internet Explorer (No Add Ons)

This will open IE with all add ons disabled. Click the homepage icon to load your home page then browse around and see if there is an improvement.
It's so much faster! There is one other thing going on since I updated IE. I keep getting an error message with regards to my search engine. Apparently Bing is my default search engine but I prefer Google. It won't allow me to change from Bing to Google no matter what I do. Can you fix that? Thanks. Nora

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI