This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] Fake "Security Alert" on Win XP Pro

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am not sure if have all the information you need to assist me, because this is a problem my sister has with her Win XP Pro computer. A pop up screen appears with the title "Security Alert" the message (paraphrased) is " Your computer is at risk. Windows firewall has allowed a trojan to infect your system". Task Mgr does not display this as a running program, windows firewall is non responsive not allowing her to click it on or off, although it appears on. I think this is a fake message and I did not want her to respond in any way to the screen. Turns out she has in the past and got a message to buy some download that would fix the problem. She did not buy any download. I did no want her to click on any part of this screen message, so I told her to powere off her computer asit wil not shut down properly. I have a laptop that I can take to her house, and if I can connect to the internet I can further contact you. Have you heard of any such malware as I described? Thanks, John
Hi,

Its a bad one thats going around.

Download ComboFix from one of these locations:

Link 1
Link 2

* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop
  • Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link HERE

  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.

  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.

  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.

**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.


[external image: Posted Image]



Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:


[external image: Posted Image]


Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt log in your next reply.

Notes:
1. Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. Do not "re-run" Combofix. If you have a problem, reply back for further instructions.
thanks for the response. You emphasize saving your download tools the desktop of the infected machine. Since the computer I will be working one is at my sisters place and I am not sure if I can connect it to the internet, can I download your tools to my laptop, copy to a flash drive and move it to the desktop of the sick computer? John

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI