http://forums.whatthetech.com/Possible_inf…tml#entry608526
Hi;
I got good help from CatByte, made the adjustments, closed the topic yesterday, and had the background screen only on startup today. Task Manager restarted the computer and the task bar and icons showed up, but I still apparently need help. I'm playing on Facebook a lot recently if that makes a difference.
In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following …
Sections
IAT/EAT
Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
Show All (don't miss this one)
Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and post it in your next reply.
**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<— ROOKIT" entries
No obvious signs of any malware there, but we can run the Malwarebytes and Kaspersky scans just to make sure. You may just need to defrag to have things run a little better.
If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
Make sure that everything is checked, and clickRemove Selected. <– very important
When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note)
The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
Extra Note:If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts, click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.
NEXT
Run an on-line scan with Kaspersky
Using Internet Explorer or Firefox, visit Kaspersky On-line Scanner
1. Click Accept, when prompted to download and install the program files and database of malware definitions. 2. To optimize scanning time and produce a more sensible report for review:
Close any open programs
Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan
3. Click Run at the Security prompt.
The program will then begin downloading and installing and will also update the database.
Please be patient as this can take several minutes.
Once the update is complete, click on My Computer under the green Scan bar to the left to start the scan.
Once the scan is complete, it will display if your system has been infected. It does not provide an option to clean/disinfect. We only require a report from it.
Do NOT be alarmed by what you see in the report. Many of the finds have likely been quarantined.
Click View scan report at the bottom.
[external image: Posted Image]
Click the Save as Text button to save the file to your desktop so that you may post it in your next reply
Hi,
There is no more malware on your system, your issues don't appear to be malware related any longer.
Can you describe your issues in as much detail as possible, If I can't assist perhaps I can directly you to our tech forums to let our expert techs take a look, it may just be a few settings that need adjusting.
Hi, Catbyte;
Sorry for the slow response- I've been very busy and I'm watching what my computer does. Sometimes on startup, I still get background only- no icons or taskbar. I've had to use task manager to restart the computer and I usually get my icons/taskbar. If I wait before clicking on my name (no password) my icons come right up. I just had the same problem, checked task manager and saw a process using most of my cpu resources called ekrn.exe. I've also had an explore.exe error message on shutdown once.
That's about all I can think of for now. I thank you for the help.
FCS
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.
If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.
Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI