I have had it up to my ears with this machine. I really, really don't want to reformat, but I am beginning to run out of options. I have been reading other threads on here, and see that step one is almost always run hijackthis. It wont run. It starts to, and then quits and I can't find the log. Then it will not launch again. Please help! I'm about to through this machine off my balcony! How do I find out what is causing my problems.
I currently have it up in safe mode, but even that was a task. Had to do it through msconfig. The old F8 trick is blocked by whatever virus I have…..Ugh
DO NOT use any TOOLS such as Combofix, SmitfraudFix, Vundofix, or HijackThis fixes without supervision.
Doing so could make your pc inoperatible and could require a full reinstall of your OS, losing all your programs and data.
Stay with this topic until I give you the final 'All clean' post.
Vista users: 1. These tools MUST be run from the executable. (.exe)
2. With Admin Rights (Right click, choose "Run as Administrator") every time you run them
1) exeHelper
Please download exeHelper to your desktop.
Double-click on exeHelper.com to run the fix.
A black window should pop up, press any key to close once the fix is completed.
Post the contents of log.txt (Will be created in the directory where you ran exeHelper.com) Note: If the window shows a message that says "Error deleting file", please re-run the program before posting a log - and post the two logs together (they will both be in the one file).
If exeHelpher starts and stops, try renaming exeHelper.com to to explorer.exe.
exeHelper by Raktor
Build 20091021
Run at 08:22:56 on 11/06/09
Now searching…
Checking for numerical processes…
Checking for bad processes…
Checking for bad files…
Checking for bad registry entries…
Resetting filetype association for .exe
Resetting filetype association for .com
Resetting userinit and shell values…
Resetting policies…
–Finished–
Does HijackThis run now? If so, post the scan.
Please don't attach the scans / logs, use "copy/paste". .