This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

AVG Free 9

25 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Grisoft AVG AntiMalware has been a good (and free) product for many years. When their AntiVirus and AntiSpyware (previously Ewido) were separate products they were even better. Companies tend to want to be one-stop-shops for their customers, providing all the needs in one package, usually described as a "suite". This provides good benefit to some, since all or most of the areas of concern can be addressed by having one on-board installation. However, not all companies can have the best in every category. Plus when "suites" get packaged, they have an annoying tendency to get bloated. There was a time that I would not have recommended Avast!. I do now, without reservation. Same with Avira. I am hopeful that AVG will again emerge as a lighter-footprint but still comprehensive detection and removal product. My own personal user preference is to collect my own selections for the "suite" of security tools I allow to run on my machines. Others find it more convenient to use a commercially developed "suite". OK. That may be fine for others and meet most of their security needs with less effort and research. I applaud you for tackling the research and seriously considering what works best for you.

Grisoft AVG AntiMalware has been a good (and free) product for many years.
When their AntiVirus and AntiSpyware (previously Ewido) were separate products they were even better.

Companies tend to want to be one-stop-shops for their customers, providing all the needs in one package, usually described as a "suite". This provides good benefit to some, since all or most of the areas of concern can be addressed by having one on-board installation. However, not all companies can have the best in every category. Plus when "suites" get packaged, they have an annoying tendency to get bloated.

There was a time that I would not have recommended Avast!. I do now, without reservation. Same with Avira.
I am hopeful that AVG will again emerge as a lighter-footprint but still comprehensive detection and removal product.

My own personal user preference is to collect my own selections for the "suite" of security tools I allow to run on my machines.

Others find it more convenient to use a commercially developed "suite". OK. That may be fine for others and meet most of their security needs with less effort and research.

I applaud you for tackling the research and seriously considering what works best for you.



Nods, and thanks Doug for info such as this and other helpful tips and tricks. Finding good folks such as yourself who tells it like it is, means a lot and really does help when facing decision of what to do. It because people such as yourself who gives good advise like in the past postings and to be honest with it. Bottom line in the long run it really helps with the headachs of making the right choise of programs to use, because as I said software mfg will paint a pretty picture of what they are selling and to only find out it was not worth it in the first place.

Plus the fact I like having talks such as this myself because it helps me to understand what is a better option to do and I like finding info such as this.

:thumbup: :thumbup:
I was just about to start a topic on currently the best free anti-virus programs when I discovered this thread; thanks for the information. I have Panda at the moment (the trial version) which is due to expire shortly and hence the interest.
I'm using nod32 now and would like to turn to some free. I considering MSE, or AVG or something else. It seems AVG is a much better choice

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI