Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Emoticons Stuck !

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#46 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:26 PM

appleoddity;.....

Thank you for a VERY informative reply..... :thumbup:

In reply:....

I still think it is the NetZero software.

I'm not going to challenge this...BUT.....
I have removed & re-installed the NetZero software many times to no avail....

try to go to add/remove programs and see if you can uninstall the NetZero Accelerator application without uninstalling the entire program.

Can not do this..Not there ...The accellerator is not a seperate file/program...

But, it also has a setting (on the right-click menu) about image quality as seen in the picture on that site I linked to earlier.

I have reset this to "better image quality" & no help....

Just to refresh:==>...(From post #13 )

I can definitely tell you what it's not....
I switched computers....(Went to my GX1)....
Put it on the same phone line...Works perfect...
Animation at ALL locations includeing here working.....
So we can definitely rule out NetZero...
BOTH computers have IE-7....(<< Edit;...From the SAME CD...)
This one has Opera also....

Did we blow something outta da water ???

Just FYI:==>

I finally figured out how to get Opera to take me around the web.....
I went to the websites including this one & we can now rule out the browsers.....
ie; Does it on Opera...
Still no animation......

This layman, novice thinks we have a doosey here !!!!!

Lastly, because your browser caches those "animated" gifs you may not see any animation on them until those cached entries expire. After disabling the NetZero accelerator you may need to close your browser windows and delete all your temporary internet files.

BEFORE I log off the web , I clear all temporary files & web history EVERY time....
BEFORE I turn off my computer , I run CCleaner & ATF Cleaner EVERY time....
Does this accomplish the above ???

What's next ????

Later...Ron.M..... B) ......

Edited by Ron.M, 12 November 2009 - 04:28 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#47 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:51 PM

Well, I would suggest DELTREE C:\ but that might be a little counter productive. :)

I'm going to have to think about this one some more.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#48 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:59 PM

Ok.. One idea before i go to bed.

I want you to check some system settings in three different locations and report back here what they are set to.

1) Open Internet Options -> Connections -> Lan Settings. Are any options checked in there, and what are the options set to, specifically are there any proxy server settings?

EDIT: You are on dial-up so it is different.

1) Open internet options -> connections. Highlight your netzero dial up connection and click settings. Please tell me what if any proxy settings are listed there.

2) Click start -> run -> type CMD and press ENTER. At the command prompt, type proxycfg and press ENTER. Please copy and paste the output to the forum. You can do that by right-clicking the command prompt window, selecting mark, and then highlighting the text you want to copy. Then, right-click the title bar (at the top of the window) and select COPY. Now you can paste it in a reply.

3) Download LSPFix and run it. Please tell me what is listed under the KEEP section, but do not make any changes to your system with it.

This will provide some useful insight in to what could possibly be interfering with those animated images across multiple web browsers.

Edited by appleoddity, 12 November 2009 - 09:02 PM.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.

#49 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:20 PM

appleoddity;....

Good news & bad news....
The bad news is that the good news is bad news.....
The "news" is that today the emoticons are working....

We (Mr.TomK & I ) found a "worm" in the "Living Dolphin Screensaver" file & I deleted the file/program....
Last night before I shut down the computer , I ran "dolphin" in the search box looking for remnants....
It came up with about 15~20 listings....
I was too tired to mess with deleteing them , so I left them there for today...
When I turned on the computer & ran "dolphins" today , they were gone!!!!
The emoticons were not working yesterday....
Today , magically , they are....

Infections Removal Forum link;....

http://forums.whatth...ed_t108212.html

I'm thinking that it took the remnants of the "worm" a day or two to starve to death & just died...
I'm in electronics & nothing else makes sense....

Since they are working , I'm guessing that "if" we run tests , etc , they "may" give false positives...
I've attached a proxy pix for your item #1....

I left #2 & #3 pending.....
So , shall we wait till it does it again or do I do what you ask now ???....
It's your call & I will do what you ask....

later...Ron.M...... B) ....

Edited by Ron.M, 13 November 2009 - 03:34 PM.

#50 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:22 PM

I would appreciate it if you would provide the requested information anyways. This will be the second time the icons mysteriously started working after a reboot, and I have no doubt it won't be the last time they stop working until we solve the issue. Thanks.

#51 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:09 PM

appleoddity;....

FYI:...
While editing the previous post , your reply asking me to run 3 items came thru....
Your post is not showing up on the main thread , but is showing up here as I type a reply....

Item #1;.....

Item #2;....

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Ron.M>proxycfg
Microsoft ® WinHTTP Default Proxy Configuration Tool
Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Current WinHTTP proxy settings under:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections\
WinHttpSettings :

Direct access (no proxy server).

C:\Documents and Settings\Ron.M>

Item #3;....Could not copy & paste , so I sent you a pix:....

LSP_fix....jpg

The "Keep" items are:...

mswsock.dll T cpip
wnrnr.dll NTDS
sblsp.dll (Protocol handler)
rsvpsp.dll (Protocol handler)

Thank You.....

Laster...Ron.M.... B) ....

#52 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:14 PM

Ok.. Now we are getting somewhere. So, do one more thing for me. Please open internet options -> connections back up. Click your dial up connection and click settings like you did. Under proxy settings, click the Advanced button and take a screen shot of that for me. Thanks

#53 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:33 PM

appleoddity;....

There is a glitch here too...
When I get an email that you replied & click on the link in it , I wind up at the top of page 4...
We are currently on page 5.....
ANY which way I get here , there is NO page 5 ...
UNLESS I click on the reply button...Then I scroll down & see your reply...
So we have some more fun....

Anywhoooo....

Here's what you asked for;....

Advanced_setting.jpg

THANKS....

Later..Ron.M... B) ....

#54 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:40 PM

appleoddity:....

This thread will NOT advance from page 4 to page 5.....
Can someone like you contact the "resident genius" to fix it ???
I for one would really appreciate it...

BTW; you have to leave the website & return for it to happen....

THANK you VERY much....

Later...Ron.M.... B) ....

Edited by Ron.M, 13 November 2009 - 04:41 PM.

#55 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:56 PM

Uhm... for what it's worth. The last 9 posts are all on page 4 for me. Haven't gotten to page 5 yet. :wacko:
Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#56 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:01 PM

Lol.. Yeah.. All page 4 here... Ok.. Here's what your info reveals. Your internet browsing is being passed through the netzero application in some way via the proxy setting on your browser. It is most likely how your netzero accelerator handles your internet traffic. Secondly, the speedbit video accelerator software is definitely also linked in to your tcp/ip stream. So, two things to try when this problem occurs again. (Notice I say when, because it will happen again) First, open internet options -> connections. Click your internet service and click settings. Uncheck use proxy server. Then shut down internet explorer and re-open it. You may also need to flush your temp files to see results. This is the first test to fix stuck emoticons. Second, you will need to temporarily uninstall speedbit software if disabling the proxy setting does not work. Once uninstaling speedbit, restart the computer, clear your temp files again, etc. Then try the emoticons. One of those two things is going to definitely work and we can narrow it down from there.

#57 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:08 PM

appleoddity & Tomk;.....

OK , I got the page #'s wrong.....
What happened was , I could not see his new post , it did not show up in the main thread , ie , here ...
When appleoddity replied as I was typeing up a post & I checked the thread , his new post wasn't there either.....
The gremlins are at it again.....

Thanks TomK , I may be infected...... :rofl: <==He's not moving on my computer!!! ..& Should be....Some of the others are.!!!

appleoddity;.....

We now have some working & some not...
I'm going to try the tests you suggest & let you know what happens...

Thank you.....

Later...Ron.M...... B) .....

#58 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:24 PM

appleoddity:...

First, open internet options -> connections. Click your internet service and click settings. Uncheck use proxy server. Then shut down internet explorer and re-open it. You may also need to flush your temp files to see results. This is the first test to fix stuck emoticons.

I not only shut down internet explorer , I rebooted..(Takes 6~8 mins)...Failed first test....BOOooo....

Second, you will need to temporarily uninstall speedbit software if disabling the proxy setting does not work. Once uninstaling speedbit, restart the computer, clear your temp files again, etc. Then try the emoticons

I could not find the .exe file....
So I got rid of it from Add & Remove Programs....
BTW:..NO remnants....
Failed second test....Some animated emoticons work , a LOT do not....
Here OR at the other sites...
BOOOooo HOOOooo..... :rant2:

One of those two things is going to definitely work and we can narrow it down from there.

REEEAAALLLY.!.!.!.!....We are now 0 for 2...

#59 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:53 PM

Ron... Are you saying that your emoticons stopped working again?

Have you gotten any clue at which point they stop working? Such as what you did previously before that? For instance, did you visit a video streaming site like YouTube, or perform some other task on your computer that you may do regularly, but perhaps did not do right away this last time they started working?

Secondly, you say that some are working and many are not. Is this different than previously where I presumed ALL of them did not work?

Can you confirm that in order to clear your temp files, you went into internet options -> general and deleted your browsing history including your temporary internet files?

At this point is the proxy setting still unchecked, AND is the speedbit video accelerator still uninstalled?

If so, please take two more screenshots. One showing your new proxy settings in internet options -> connections. And the other showing a new LSPfix screen shot. Lets leave things like this until we are absolutely sure that ALL of your emoticons do not start working or break over the next day or so.

One last thing, it was brought to my attention by Doug that in a log that was posted in your malware thread it showed there were some file system errors on your hard drive. Lets make sure you aren't having hard drive or file system trouble. To do so, please click start -> run -> type CMD and press ENTER. At the command prompt, please type chkdsk /r and press ENTER. You will be prompted to schedule a scan during your next restart, please answer Yes. Then, reboot your computer. Be patient while your hard drive and file system are checked for problems. Then, if your emoticons are still not working you may attempt to clear your temp files one more time.

Edited by appleoddity, 13 November 2009 - 09:57 PM.

#60 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:31 PM

BRACE yourselves , folks, this is going to be a loooong one....

appleoddity;.....

This is the strangest G.D. problem I've & possibly you've ever seen....
I never know whether or not they are going to work when I turn on my computer....
I started typeing a reply & about half way thru it , another power failure....
Prior to the failure , some of the emoticons here were working..Now NONE are....
Proir to the failure at the other website , ALL were working....Now NONE are....

In reply;....

Ron... Are you saying that your emoticons stopped working again?

At this precise moment , YES....5 minutes from now , that can change....No BS...

Have you gotten any clue at which point they stop working? Such as what you did previously before that? For instance, did you visit a video streaming site like YouTube, or perform some other task on your computer that you may do regularly, but perhaps did not do right away this last time they started working?

NO,NO.....This is SO random it's driving me whacko....I don't do YouTube...There's no tasks involved here....Only when I go offline & shut down my computer....

Secondly, you say that some are working and many are not. Is this different than previously where I presumed ALL of them did not work?

This started with NONE working to ALL working to SOME working TO some NOT working to (at the moment) NONE working again....NO rhyme or reason...

Can you confirm that in order to clear your temp files, you went into internet options -> general and deleted your browsing history including your temporary internet files?

I do this EVERY time I go offline;==>..Tools>Internet Options>General>Delete>Delete Files & Delete History.....I run CCleaner & ATF cleaner EVERY time BEFORE I turn my computer off for the day...

At this point is the proxy setting still unchecked, AND is the speedbit video accelerator still uninstalled?

The proxy setting will NOT stay as set...In other words , I turn it off....I'm not sure how it happens but I think on start-up it turns itself back on....The screenshot shows it off...But it WILL be back on somehow by itself.....I could not find the .exe file for speedbit accelerator....I got rid of it thru Add & remove programs.....Also , there are NO remnants left behind....

Proxy screenshot;==>...

Proxy_setting_11_14_2009.jpg

LSPfix screenshot;.==>

LSP_Fix...11_14_2009.jpg

Lets leave things like this until we are absolutely sure that ALL of your emoticons do not start working or break over the next day or so.

No problem , except the "Proxy Server " part...
After I finish this post , I'm going to re-start my computer & see if proxy server changes....I will return & edit this post with the results....

it was brought to my attention by Doug that in a log that was posted in your malware thread it showed there were some file system errors on your hard drive. Lets make sure you aren't having hard drive or file system trouble

News to me ....

To do so, please click start -> run -> type CMD and press ENTER. At the command prompt, please type chkdsk /r and press ENTER.

I did ALL that & NO change....It ran thru it's program & vanished to a start-up....BTW & FYI;.....You can type chkdsk /r in the "run" box & it does the same thing....No need for "cmd" here...

I hope I didn't miss anything....This is long enough....

I WILL be back in about 5~10 mins with an edit....
If you do not see a bold edit ,
wait a few mins or come back later & I will post it...

EDIT;....
Ok , re-starting the computer reset the "Proxy Server to on...
See screenshot below...
Proxy__2.jpg

IF theres NO screenshot here , go to page 5
Having editing probs....

Edited by Ron.M, 14 November 2009 - 05:51 PM.