Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

[Resolved] Alert Popup removal help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#31 BobSea

BobSea

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:39 PM

Tomk I just did some more checking to see why Alert Popup was still running on my system. I ran Windows Defender which reported nothing wrong with my system. Looking on the Internet again I saw where both Defender and Malware bytes Anti Malware should have removed Alert Popup. I looked in the Task Manager again and realized the icon for alert popup was the same as a Linksys program I installed to help with network connections. I am not familiar with all this stuff but when I selected the Alert Popup application in Task Manager and right clicked it, went to Go To Process it took me to the Linksys program! I uninstalled the Linksys program and bingo! the Alert Popup is gone! So does any of this make sense to you? Now that my Laptop is cleaned up I think I am ready to attempt the Windos 7 install. I did one on my Desktop today and had only one problem with my Cannon printer driver. What do you think about installing Windows 7 now that there doesn't seem to be anything lurking in the background now? I will wait for your reply. I have not run ESET Online Scanner. Thanks so much for your help! BobSea

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#32 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:28 PM

BobSea,

Nice sleuthing. :notworthy: I'm thinking you found it. :woot:

Let's do a little cleanup first.

Cleanup

• Double click on OTM to run it.
  • Click on CleanUp!
  • When done, you will be prompted to restart your computer. Please restart your computer.

Then I think you'll be ready for your install. :yeah:

The following is my standard advice for the future. Use what you can and pat yourself on the back for what you're already doing.

Please take time to read Preventing Malware - Tools and Practices for Safe Computing. Very important information for your consideration is contained therein.

I would also suggest you read this:
So how did I get infected in the first place?
by Tony Klein

Also: "How to prevent malware"
by miekiemoes

Please respond back that you understand the above and let me know if you have any questions. Otherwise, this thread will be closed Resolved. :thumbup:
Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#33 BobSea

BobSea

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:16 PM

Tomk, Thanks for your reply. I think I just finally got lucky in finding what that Alerty Popup really was. On the cleanup note I will run it and let you know what happens. I understand what you asked me to read and the clean up with OTM and I will do that first. I added the reading material to my Fav's so I can find them easily to read them. Thanks again for all your time in helping me to figure this out, I really appreciate it. After I do the cleanup I will be upgrading the computer to Windows 7. My desktop computer seems to have survived the upgrade with out any major problems so far. I'll run OTL cleanup and get right back to you! Thanks again, BobSea

#34 BobSea

BobSea

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:21 PM

Tomk I ment OTM. I'll run in now. Thanks, BobSea

#35 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:37 PM

BobSea, Truthfully, either one would do the same thing.
Tomk
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#36 BobSea

BobSea

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:49 PM

Tomk, I ran OTM and selected cleanup. It ran and did some things. I did copy the log results. Do you want to see them. If not then I think I can say we are done here and you are free for the next challenge. I do want to thank you again for your help in getting this fixed. I find it is always better to have someone to bounce what you are doing off of when you are trying to do something like this. If you want you can close the thread and I'll read the information you passed on. With that I may be able to prevent getting something like this again. Thanks again Tom for all the time you spent working with me and answering my questions. If you want to look at the results of the clean just let me know and I will post them here. Reguards, BobSea

#37 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:26 PM

BobSea, I think we're good. You are very welcome. Good luck and be well. :thumbup:
Tomk
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#38 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:26 PM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
Tomk
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014