This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

On Start Up.

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, Being an absolute beginner, I feel slightly embarrassed in case I get the technical speak, wrong. I was annoyed by a pop-up programme that kept appearing on my start-up screen. A friend told me to find and go into the default start-up programmes and delete it. I found the name and did so. Now when I start again it stops and - I believe - it's looking for that programme. What I get is: Caldera DR- DOS… There is more writing if you wish to see this. I'm writing this from my notebook. Thanks for any help.
Caldera DR- DOS indicates your BIOS is trying to boot your floppy drive or some DOS software outside of Windows. Just to clarify: Does the computer start up Windows? If so you might try a System Restore which you can also try from Safe Mode. For Safe Mode keep tapping the F8 key after starting your computer. You should get an option screen where you can choose Safe Mode then opt for System Restore and choose a point prior to your problem.
Dear Sir, Thank you for your excellent advice. Having pressed F8, I was faced with a screen called, Boot Order. I saw that the highlighted choice was: Optiarc DVD RW AD-5170A. The second choice: PO-ST3320820AS. This choice I highlighted and then pressed the Return Key. The computer then loaded the Windows programme. All working fine so I decided to select a Restore point from an earlier date. But I received a warning notice to say that 'due to an unexpected error, the settings were not changed'. This message occurred again on a different Restore Point. But seeing that all was now working well, I closed down the computer and restarted again, and I'm pleased to say it started with the Windows Programme. Kind regards and thanks again.
Lol… Well, its wonderful that the computer started working. I'm getting a chuckle though, because the instructions jephree gave worked although you ended up doing something totally different than his instructions were intended to do. But, now that it works, that is great. Welcome to WhatTheTech.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI