Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Web Form: As failure to "Submit" send issue

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:56 PM

If SMTP is disabled, then it is definitely not going to work. You are using a "mail script," and it does use SMTP.

Unfortunately, I don't know where to recommend that you host this page.

On a side note, web hosting is fairly cheap and may be a viable alternative if need be. I think you are going to have this problem with pretty much any free hosting site.

You could use something like the Economy plan at GoDaddy: http://www.godaddy.c...ng.aspx?ci=9009

Its only $5 per month. THere is probably even cheaper, but $5 a month sounds pretty reasonable.

I think you can even buy a domain name (www.yourdomainname.com) for only $2 more if you buy the hosting plan.

These are just options. I don't know what else to suggest.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 Step_By_Step

Step_By_Step

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:40 PM

Hi Appleoddity:
I tried another web hosting company. Their home page looks suspiciously similar to www.AwardSpace.com
(I wonder if its really the same company.)
Posted Image
The web hosting company is apparently named "agilityhoster.com".
The following picture contains their surprise:
"SMTP feature is Disabled for all free hosting accounts. Mail scripts will not be able to send emails ".
Posted Image
Note: It appears that there are a large amount of Dishonest / Highly Deceptive companies out there as advertising free service with lots of needed features. Then when you try to utilize that websites features......they essentially force you to submit private information. Then after you finally gain access to their companies web site....Surprise!......The features that were promised to you in their online advertisement as being free won't actually work unless you Pay them MONEY!
Why would anyone place their Trust in these fraudulent people / companies and actually give these dishonest people money?

I guess I need to keep searching for an honest web hosting site.
B) Web Page Hosting on their server(s)
Summary:
After explaining to them that I'm a beginner and that my code (is a combination of php and html) for my web form does not appear to function..
They Strongly recommended Against
buying a Domain Name and Web Page Hosting UNTIL such time as I have fully functioning web page code to use.

The whole thing that we have created here consists of three files: Initial_Contact.html, sendmail.php, and Thank_You.html.

The Initial_Contact.html file contains the HTML code to design your web form with all the text boxes and radio buttons.

The sendmail.php file contains the PHP program that I designed in order to handle the sending of the e-mail. The sendmail.php program (file) is executed by the Initial_Contact.html file when the user clicks, "Submit."

The Thank_You.html file is displayed by the sendmail.php file if the e-mail is successfully sent without issues.

I believe that you have mistakingly been trying to copy and paste the PHP code I gave you into the Initial_Contact.html file in one way or another.

The webserver decides what to do with each file based on the file extension.

Do you mean that I'm not supposed to be combining my html code and the php code that you provided to me onto one web page (as located / hosted at one URL address)?
If yes: Exactly how do the two separate pages interact?

You wrote:

it will work no matter where you upload these three files at, as long as all three files are in the same folder.

What folder? I currently have web hosting on Tripod. To the best of my knowledge there are no folders where a person can add / delete / or edit files that they've written. If I understand correctly -The only areas that can be amended are (bottom of list) the last three or four items on the list (Please see the following picture): Posted Image

I think that I may understand how the "Thank_You.html" functions as it's located on a separate web page (all by itself) at a different URL address. After the person completes the form and then clicks on the "submit" button - The persons web browser is used to take them to see my "Thank_You.html" page.

Edited by Step_By_Step, 25 October 2009 - 01:05 PM.

#18 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:07 AM

Sorry.. I didn't see your edited post. You added quite a bit.

To answer your questions:

Yes, you need to keep searching for an honest web host. That is why I suggested GoDaddy. I highly doubt you will find anything that is completely free. But, web hosting now a days is very affordable. At $5/month, if you only need it for a couple of months or even longer it should be affordable for most.

GoDaddy is not going to understand what you are saying if you're not able to completely explain it yourself. :) That's ok. Just rest assured that the web hosting they offer is all you need. The domain name is even optional. Once you have the web hosting service you can upload and manage files similar to what you are doing at tripod.

Do you mean that I'm not supposed to be combining my html code and the php code that you provided to me onto one web page (as located / hosted at one URL address)?
If yes: Exactly how do the two separate pages interact?

Yes, I am saying that there are 3 seperate files. You do not combine the PHP code into the HTML file. You do understand that there are three files like I mentioned right? Initial_Contact.html, sendmail.php, and Thank_You.html? The file called Initial_Contact.html has all the "code" for displaying the web form and providing options to the end user. A special part of that file tells it to "send" the information submitted on that form to the sendmail.php file for processing when the user clicks, "submit." Because the technical details of how exactly this happens is not relevant here I would like to forego that type of in-depth explanation. Again, there are many basics to the foundation of what you are asking here that you would need to learn and research to fully understand.

What folder? I currently have web hosting on Tripod. To the best of my knowledge there are no folders where a person can add / delete / or edit files that they've written. If I understand correctly -The only areas that can be amended are (bottom of list) the last three or four items on the list (Please see the following picture):

The term "Folder" and "Directory" are synonymous. Tripod calls them directories, and they are identified by the yellow "folder" icons in your file listing. Using the button "New Directory," you can create one of those new fangled folders as I call it. :)

By designing and programming correctly the code can be made portable so that no matter where you host it, and no matter what directory you put it in, it will still work. This is so you won't have any problems if you upload those three files to tripod, or godaddy, or whereever. You can even place them in their own seperate "directory" (or folder). For instance. Lets say you create a "new directory" called application at tripod. Then, you upload those three files into the "application" directory. Now, in order to access the files you would type in the URL like this: http://homecare7.tripod.com/application/Initial_Contact.html

Folders and directories (synonymous) are just a way of organizing specific aspects of your website.

So, to be more specific, if the code is designed properly, you could host those three files (in the same directory) anywhere, in any directory/folder. If they are designed properly, each file knows to look in the current location for the other two files no matter where that "current location," is. That is what is called a "relative" path. A relative path means it is relative to whatever location you are at NOW. And when programmed properly, the relative path says "the two files you are looking for are in the same location you are now." So, those three files could be on godaddy, tripod, etc. and in any folder, as long as they are together.

Hope that explains it clearly enough.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.

#19 Step_By_Step

Step_By_Step

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:19 PM

To: Appleoddity
Prior to beginning this process I edited the sendmail.php file or script as per your directions (As much as possible as I obviously don't have all of the needed details at this point.)

$headers2 = "From: noreply@YourCompany.com"; // Change this to a no reply address at your company - the user will see this as the from address for the confirmation e-mail

Re: noreply@YourCompany.com If I understand correctly..........Then I don't have this URL "@YourCompany.com" address yet.

// Compose a confirmation e-mail (this will be sent back to the applicant)
$headers2 = "From: noreply@YourCompany.com"; // Change this to a no reply address at your company - the user will see this as the from address for the confirmation e-mail
$subject2 = "Home Care Application - Confirmation";
// Compose your message to the applicant here.
$autoreply = "Thank you for contacting us. Your application has been received. Somebody will get back to you as soon as possible. If you have any more questions, please consult our website at www.oursite.com";

Re: www.oursite.com Once again (If I understand correctly ) I don't have this URL address yet.. _______________________________________________________
Step 1: I created a new "Folder" or "Directory" within Tripod as named Application. Please see the following picture:
Posted Image
Step 2: I moved the following files ( Initial_Contact.html and sendmail.php and Thank_You.html ) into the newly created Application "Folder" or "Directory"...Please see the following picture:
Posted Image
b) Error(s) in editing sendmail.php code.

"Sorry.. I didn't see your edited post. You added quite a bit."

Re: "You added quite a bit." Please understand that I thought in providing you with more information that it would be helpful in this process.
Re: "Sorry.. I didn't see your edited post."
Due to security concerns (After considering what you'd previous written about revealing private information in an exposed manner)
I was therefore cautious about sending the edited code to this open forum. Is it feasible (recommended) for me to Private Message it to you?

#20 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:38 PM

Step_by_Step, my example of creating an "application," folder was merely to explain a topic that you asked a question about. We have already determined that tripod will not, no matter how you try, handle this type of scripting unless you are a paid member. You are correct in your other statements about the confirmation e-mail in the php code. You don't have to use that. You can change it to whatever you want or not use anything at all. That is merely a working example. An example, meaning I expect that you will want to change it some. If you purchase a domain name then it will certainly be more professional to include that information in a confirmation e-mail, but it is not necessary to accomplish what you are try to do. You are correct that I don't want you posting code that contains private e-mail addresses here in the open forum, but I do not need to see your modifications, and I don't want you to PM it to me at the time. Until you get a suitable web host there is nothing else to do. At that time you can try out your web form on a provider that supports what it is you are trying to do. If there is still a problem then we can examine further what might be wrong.

#21 Step_By_Step

Step_By_Step

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:41 PM

To appleoddity:
Sorry to conflict with your (read after I already sent the PM to you) instruction.
However, I was able to Private Message the .php code (as edited) to you. Please check it for errors.
You wrote:

Until you get a suitable web host there is nothing else to do.

Per Godaddy.com instructions - I don't want to buy their services unless / until I have fully functioning code.

Edited by Step_By_Step, 26 October 2009 - 04:45 PM.

#22 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:10 PM

I don't see any problems with the changes you made. You did what you are supposed to do. The only reason why it doesn't function is because it is not hosted somewhere that supports e-mail functions. I'm not sure what GoDaddy is telling you. How are you going to test and experiment with your web site if you don't have a capable host to try it on? I think there may be some confusion there. You can't clean a fish before you catch it. I'm not saying that you have to use GoDaddy, but you have to use a provider that supports what you are trying to do, which I think we have decided is probably not going to be had for free. The first step is to get the host, the second step is to upload your code, the third step is to test and debug it.

#23 Step_By_Step

Step_By_Step

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:57 PM

Appleoddity: What are your thoughts about me downloading and running the following program? "“Wamp server" in order to test out the code for functionality?

#24 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:02 PM

(per appleoddity)

you have to use a provider that supports what you are trying to do, which I think we have decided is probably not going to be had for free. The first step is to get the host, the second step is to upload your code, the third step is to test and debug it.

That's the bottom line.

I use BlueHost for about $105 annually (website plus email addresses.
Again, they only support the features that they offer.

BlueHost has their own "package" just like any other host.
It is somewhat limiting but very acceptable for my own basic site.
So ask them to have a look at what you wish to do before signing up.
The same should be done with whatever host you eventually select.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#25 Step_By_Step

Step_By_Step

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:32 PM

appleoddity: Hi, This is just a note to say. I haven't forgotten. I'm working on $.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#26 Step_By_Step

Step_By_Step

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 01:53 PM

Hi Appleoddity: It's been a while. Hope that your doing well. I'd like to continue learning. Regards