General USB errors when attempting to remove HD
10 min read
I mentioned the pulling the [USB] cord because last time my Seagate External Passport HD just stopped working out of the blue. I couldn't recover the data because I could not access the drive anymore. It made a beeping sound when the usb cable was plugged in.
I think my Windows XP is getting out of hand since it's very old.
Any windows or tools related to the drive was closed and I'm left with a clear view of my desktop.
I don't have any other USB related devices (except a camera and a phone, which has functions to disconnect themselves without the need for Windows to do it first). I did recall I had the same error when I attempted to disconnect my flash drives
The data was intact though (on the flash drive) if I pulled it or disconnected it manually.
***Note: The entire purpose of USB Memory Devices is to preserve accurate copies or originals of files that you wish to keep. It is therefore outrageously counter-productive to do something that could compromise that data… like yanking the USB stick out of socket without first assuring that it is not being actively used!!!
***Note: Yes the USB memory stick Device itself can be damaged and USB External Hard Drives present even higher risk of damage to the device and data.
The following includes several considerations, options, and third-party utilities.
Disclaimer: My presentation progresses according to my own practice and thinking, but may not correspond to the progression of your own situation or thinking. So read all of the information and use the portions that are related to your specific situation.
In most cases…“Safely Remove Hardware - Safely remove USB Mass Storage device” option. Windows should stop all the read-write operations on the drive so that the drive can be removed safely.
Read more: http://www.troublefixers.com/problem-remov…/#ixzz0Su6saziQ
The owner/user, or Windows, or a third-party application may, in fact, be using files on the USB Memory Stick either as open applications or background processes.
Prime Culprits:
Auto-Play
File Setting - Image Pre-view
Windows Explorer
Indexing Service
Windows File Search
Portable Application Launchers
IPOD sync
Google DeskTop Manager
Spybot Tea Timer
AntiVirus background scan
Automated Defrag programs such as Diskkeeper
and the list goes on…
and on….
>>"Most"<< USB Memory sticks are optimized for quick removal
"This setting disables write caching on the disk and in Windows, so you can disconnect this device without using the Safe Removal icon"
How to verify:
in My Computer
Right-click on your USB Memory device - Select - Properties
Removable_Disk_Properties.jpg
Select Hardware(tab), then "highlight" your specific USB Memory Device
Removable_Disk_Properties_Hardware_Tab.jpg
Click on the Properties(button) in the lower right corner
You'll see the USB Device Properties panel
Removable_Disk_Properties_Hardware_Tab_Device_Properties.jpg
Click on Policies(tab)
In the Policies tabbed panel, you will see two options.
Select: Optimize for quick removal
Removable_Disk_Properties_Hardware_Tab_Device_Properties_Policies.jpg
Use "OK" to click your way out of the opened panels.
___________________________________________
There's more options coming, but I'm going to post this to assure that the graphics are appearing correctly.
I have not tried Doug's technique of navigating to the Hardware Properties (right click) yet and setting the drive for quick removal but I will certainly try that. Along with Unlocker 1.8.7 which is currently installed. I found Unlocker to be a useful tool, as it comes it handy. It gives a good impression that it'll do it's job.
Windows has a bug ever since? Hm…Simply put, Windows has a bug in it and if you have, in fact, closed all windows and programs that would be accessing the drive and then use the Safely Remove Hardware option Windows will flush the cache and it will be safe to remove the drive regardless of what it tells you.
I understand, I mean like logically I would unplug the drive right after it said that it was safe to remove the hardware. But the problem currently is that 90% of the time I keep getting this bug and the drive will not stop running.I have never once corrupted or damaged anything by unplugging the drive AFTER using the safely remove hardware option regardless of what windows reports afterwards.
I did not quite get what you meant by solving the mystery. How did you solve it?I have never attempted to solve the mystery because as I stated, there has never been a problem afterwards.
Thanks again apple…oddity
You really do convince me now about the error. I believe you, that the cache has already been flushed.
My method was just setting the PC on standby and it shuts off by itself
:(, but the drive is still powered and running even if I get the error : [.Pulling the plug has no ill effects as long as the safely remove hardware options was used first, regardless of error message or success.
I am still frustrated by the fact that my external passport HD (Seagate) fried just that like… I mean I pulled the plug on it even after the "Safely Remove Hardware" option. I got a beeping noise after that. It's not like dust came to the drive like a flu. So as a side reference I was just very curious on why a drive would stop working despite me pulling the usb cord after the remove hardware option.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI