Mayor
Topic Starter
Good morning.
I have a desktop I built myself in 2006. About two months ago, my desktop began to randomly shut off, then I would have to reset a few times to get it to turn back on. When it shut off, the lights on the front of the case would blink at one second intervals. ( One second on, one second off for a minute or so then turn off ) The fan on the case as well as the processor and lights would still be on. There would be no sound from the motherboard. I had figured it was a bad RAM slot, so I tested each slot and found ( or so I thought ) that Slot 3 was causing this issue. Removed the RAM from this, and it ran just fine until yesterday. A month after removing the RAM from Slot 3, my house had a power surge, and now when my desktop is shut off ( no OS running ) the fans and lights were still on. Not a big deal to me, as the desktop was still running. Yesterday afternoon, my desktop shut down again ( like it did when the bad memory slot was an issue ) and will not turn on again. The fans and lights are still on, however there are no lights blinking on the fron of the tower like before. There is also no beeps resignating from the motherboard. I am wondering if the power supply is shot, or if the problem would lie in my motherboard, or elsewhere I've not looked yet. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Alex