Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Office 2003 applications want reinstall

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#106 Jeff Davis

Jeff Davis

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:NASCAR racing (previous part-time Cup driver/owner)<br />my 2 kids - Jake &amp; Jenna - young teens

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:02 PM

Cool! I downloaded a free trial of Office 2007 Standard from MS Office Online and just saw WORD open for the first time in months!
I'll probably have some questions and I will need to struggle through with Outlook, since it was stuck in Cache mode, still trying to connect to my server to get email sent to my old domain email accounts. That server is on the desk next to me, not even hooked up to a network.
But WOW! I am so excited. Thanks for all of your help up to now!

Should I delete?:
1. C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware which is for WindowsDefender which was replaced by Windows Security Essentials. The exe file is in folder \TempUpdates, How should I uninstall it first?
2. Microsoft Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider Package - found in control panel / add or remove programs, info at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909520, is this used by fingerprint reader or not used?
3. Microsoft Silverlight - found in control panel / add or remove programs

Edited by Jeff Davis, 17 November 2009 - 01:53 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#107 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:29 AM

Hi Jeff, Well thats looking good...well done!
:thumbup:
It looks like it could have been duff installation discs after all....

1 Its rarely a good idea to delete applications (like windows Defender) just deleting applications leaves too much stuff behind in the Registry etc....that prevents correct installs of stuff in the future....so the best procedure is to uninstall Windows Defender via Add and Remove Programs, accessed via the Control Panel. The uninstall will then take most of the files and Registry entries out that would otherwise be left behind by simply deleting it.

2 Microsoft Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider Package. This is soft ware produced for using smartcards for your network........I would be inclined to leave it as it is Until such time as your MSOffice is working 100% effectively and you have tested it for a few weeks without finding any problems........ If you still wnat to uninstall it at that stage, then its best to back up your Registry......create a new System Restore Point before you start the uninstall ( iwill provide detailed notes on how to do this nearer the time if you want. (just let me know)

3 Microsoft Silverlight is cross browser add in software (used for the Web) and is doing no harm....so I suggest we leave it alone for the time being (basically the same strategy as for 2 above)
Let us know when you have fully tested everything
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#108 Jeff Davis

Jeff Davis

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:NASCAR racing (previous part-time Cup driver/owner)<br />my 2 kids - Jake &amp; Jenna - young teens

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:36 AM

I think that I'll just leave it all alone and be happy I have WORD etc! New topic: Outlook Cache Mode I am hoping that you can help me figure out how to fix Outlook in my home pc and in my tablet. In my home pc and on my tablet, the main email address used in Outlook is an old domain which I no longer own. So Outlook wants to access my server to get the email. I think that we had put the server Outlook in cache mode, so since both my home pc and my tablet can't access the server, it is stuck forever in limbo without the data files such as old email messages and contacts. The server is sitting right here in my home office next to both the home pc and the tablet, and it could be wired in, but isn't currently. Do you know how to fix this issue? I can't delete the main email account on each pc without dealing with the data file, and I haven't a clue what it needs me to do! I have upgraded the tablet to a free trial of Office 2007 and it seems to have imported the settings, so it knows about the cache mode Outlook data situation. If I should post this in another forum, please let me know which one is related. Or if an Outlook and Server pro is known, please ask them for me. Thanks

Edited by Jeff Davis, 18 November 2009 - 12:15 PM.

#109 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:39 AM

Hi Jeff

I think that I'll just leave it all alone and be happy I have WORD etc!

I think you are absolutely right!
:thumbup:

As this topic is getting a bit long now......... I think it would be best for you to start a new topic, and take it from there
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#110 Jeff Davis

Jeff Davis

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:14 PM

Thanks. New Topic is Outlook Cache Mode I sure hope that Microsoft will give me the upgrade price and possibly change the version of Office to Standard. 1. Can I buy a different version of Office and convert easily? I might not need Outlook. 2, How can I take advantage of an upgrade price for this purchase? I am converting from Office 2003 Small Business Edition with Business Contact Manager. How do I find my Outlook Cache Mode topic? I've lost where I posted it.

Edited by Jeff Davis, 19 November 2009 - 03:38 AM.