Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Office 2003 applications want reinstall

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#61 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:24 PM

Hi Jeff, First the good news...... We have narrowed down the problem...... 1 As long as you are operating from an Administrator account, and are correctly uninstalling the old versions of MSOffice and anything connected with it, and correctly running the Removal tools, and correctly removing the unwanted MSOffice files (with hidden and system files showing) and correctly closing down and restarting your machine at the correct times, and installing MSoffice with the correct disc, then the installation should proceed without error. Now for the bad news... 2 As the uninstall and reinstall has not worked, one of the above listed actions has obviously failed..... 3 One final suggestion is to try the whole exercise in safe mode and see if this alters things..... you could also set up a new account via Control Panel User accounts give it full admin permissions and try the procedures again from that account. 4 Otherwise it's a question of checking on each of the listed actions to see if anything could possibly be wrong..... 5 My best bet is that either you are not achieving a clean uninstall and some remnants of the old MSOffice files, and Registry entries are being left behind...perhaps even a BETA or trial of some MSOffice stuff or you are using the wrong disc for your machine. 6 If you have legit access to another MSOffice product then it may be worth trying that disc and its serial key. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#62 Jeff Davis

Jeff Davis

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:NASCAR racing (previous part-time Cup driver/owner)<br />my 2 kids - Jake &amp; Jenna - young teens

Posted 29 October 2009 - 04:27 AM

Hi paws, I thought I should respond to each item: 1 As long as you are operating from an Administrator account, and are correctly uninstalling the old versions of MSOffice and anything connected with it, and correctly running the Removal tools, and correctly removing the unwanted MSOffice files (with hidden and system files showing) and correctly closing down and restarting your machine at the correct times, and installing MSoffice with the correct disc, then the installation should proceed without error. I am still a little unclear on my situation of running the two downloaded files orktools.exe and ork.exe. I remember thinking that they seemed the same but seemed to run correctly. 2 As the uninstall and reinstall has not worked, one of the above listed actions has obviously failed..... 3 One final suggestion is to try the whole exercise in safe mode and see if this alters things..... you could also set up a new account via Control Panel User accounts give it full admin permissions and try the procedures again from that account. I am willing to do this, but see my note below regarding different versions of MS Office discs that I have here. 4 Otherwise it's a question of checking on each of the listed actions to see if anything could possibly be wrong..... 5 My best bet is that either you are not achieving a clean uninstall and some remnants of the old MSOffice files, and Registry entries are being left behind...perhaps even a BETA or trial of some MSOffice stuff or you are using the wrong disc for your machine. Perhaps the maunufacturer who installed this Office for me before I took delivery had some issues or installed BETA or trial versions. But since I was sent an Office cd with the correct Product Key on the envelope, this would seem unlikely? 6 If you have legit access to another MSOffice product then it may be worth trying that disc and its serial key. I have several other discs of Office SBE 2003 with BCM that were shipped to me with 7 desktop pcs and a server I purchased from another vendor. The disc envelopes have the Product Keys on them. This is the same version of Office that I purchased with this tablet. Is trying to install one of them into the tablet an option? I own all of them. The server and desktops are sitting here unused since my real estate office was closed down after I suffered a motorcycle accident in Nov 07. Oops, another story.....

#63 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:49 AM

Hi Jeff,
If you want to try the other MSOffice discs that you have and you have checked that you have a licence to do so then its worth a try.
However:
WARNINGThere must be no short cuts taken when you do the uninstall and the reinstall all over again....... anyway.....you should be able to do this in your sleep now!
What would be absolutely fatal is to just insert the MSoffice disc and try to install.....this would just make matters worse!

Please print out the steps given in post 48 and follow them all through, ticking/checking each one off as you go.
When you install the ork.exe and the orktools.exe (Resource kit tools) please make sure that you run the removal wizard tools for each one and remove all previous versions of MS Office.
This time around, download the two resource kit tools to a flash drive (rather than your desktop)...as it saves a bit of downloading!
All good wishes and let us know how you get on
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#64 Jeff Davis

Jeff Davis

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:NASCAR racing (previous part-time Cup driver/owner)<br />my 2 kids - Jake &amp; Jenna - young teens

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:51 PM

Thanks,
If you want to try the other MSOffice discs that you have and you have checked that you have a licence to do so then its worth a try.
I think that I should try this. Yes I am the only licensed owner. I will try this weekend.
No short cuts will be taken. I will print out the steps given in post 48 and follow them, ticking/checking each one as I go

When you install the ork.exe and the orktools.exe (Resource kit tools) please make sure that you run the removal wizard tools for each one and remove all previous versions of MS Office. This time around, download the two resource kit tools to a flash drive (rather than your desktop)...as it saves a bit of downloading!
I have the ork items saved on my desktop. Should I delete and download again to be sure? I don't have a flashdrive but my downloading is fast with cable, so that is probably how I will proceed. If I re-download, should I click Run or Save and Run?

I hope for success!

Edited by Jeff Davis, 30 October 2009 - 01:53 PM.

#65 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:37 PM

Hi Jeff, As long as you have the ork.exe and orktools.exe on your desktop..that's fine.......I only suggested the flashdrive to keep them separate from your computer so you didn't inadvertantly remove then when getting rid of anything with MSOffice in it! When you download ( if you do in the future) I reckon its usually best to save the executable ( thats the exe file...like ork.exe) to the desktop or somewhere you can find it easily, and then run it from there. There's a lot of folks here holding their breath and hoping that this time it will work OK Good luck Regards paws PS don't forget it all the steps up to step 14...... on post 48 :D

#66 Jeff Davis

Jeff Davis

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 03:28 AM

Hi. On Step 8, when I click the Removal Wizard link in Microsoft Office XP Resource Kit Tools, it pops up a box saying This action is only for products that are currently installed, then it closes and stops the removal wizard when I click OK. When I ran orktools.exe, it gives me a choice to Add or Remove Features, Repair, or Uninstall Office Resource Kit Tools. I selected Add or Remove Features. It pops up a Microsoft Office XP Resource Kit Tools Setup box showing features to install of Tools containing Answer Builder Wizard, blah, blah, down to Office Removal Wizard, Package Definition Files, Setup INI Cusomization Wizard, and finally System Policy Editor & Office Policy Templates. I can right click any of them and choose Run From My Computer, Run All From My Computer, or Not Available. I selected Office Removal Wizard and chose Run From My Computer, which does nothing. So I selected Run All From My Computer. Now I click Update. It says Microsoft Office Resource Kit Tools Setup has succesfully completed your installation. Click OK and it closes that box and does nothing else. I'm not sure what to do now. Is there a step here? I don't see any changes in the Programs list or anything else I should do. There is still the same link in All Progams called Microsoft Office Tools containing Microsoft Office XP Resource Kit Tools containing Answer Wizard Builder, CMW File Viewer, Custom Installation Wizard, Custom Maintenance Wizard, MST File Viewer, OPS File Viewer, Package Definition Files, Profile Wizard, Removal Wizard, Setup INI Customization Wizard, and lastly System Policy Editor. I didn't do any Restart, since I haven't removed anything yet.and it gives me options. I clicked the Removal Wizard link found in the step above. Choices are Remove only the files that I absolutely do not need, Let me decide which MS Office applications will be removed, and finally, Remove all previous versions of Microsoft Office Applications. I chose Remove all.... which is the same as I did last time. It says there are no files for the removal wizard to remove.....To exit the removal wizard, click finish. I did. Step 10 details: not found C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office deleted C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE*11 deleted C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\OFFICE Next is Windows Cleanup Utility. From my All Programs list I choose it. It finds a list of programs to uninstall. The only ones mentioning Office are MS Office 2003 Resource Kit and MS Office XP Resource Kit Tools so I hit Exit. Next is close down, cCleaner and close down again. I am going to try this other cd of Microsoft Office SBE 2003 Bummer. Got the same Error 1311 Source File Not Found. c:\MSOCache\All Users\90000409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9\E2561412.CAB

Edited by Jeff Davis, 31 October 2009 - 05:40 AM.

#67 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 03:52 AM

spot on Jeff :thumbup: Let us know how it goes Regards paws

#68 Jeff Davis

Jeff Davis

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:08 AM

Hi. Is there anything in the following posting that I found on a forum that may apply? Installation Error: 1311 source file not found - acad1.cab This error is caused by invalid CD-drive allocation. In the Windows Registry, set the AllocateCDRoms key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon to the value 0. You can also copy the contents of the installation CD-ROM to your hard disk and perform the setup from HD. .... sorry if you are beyond this..

Edited by Jeff Davis, 03 November 2009 - 02:08 PM.

#69 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 03:27 AM

Hi Jeff, it looks as though your machine is seeing the CD drive Ok but its always worth copying the disc to your hard drive and trying the installation from there...also in safe mode... How did you get on with the install from the other disc? Regards paws

#70 Jeff Davis

Jeff Davis

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:03 PM

Hi. I only tried the install with that other disc and the result was the Bummer note that I wrote - the same Error 1311 as with the first disc, with a slightly different CAB file not found ( bottom of item #66) I am leaning towards skipping that info I sent to you about the cd drive. I should wait for your input! Thanks for the help!

Edited by Jeff Davis, 05 November 2009 - 04:30 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#71 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:28 PM

Hi Jeff, Try copying all the files in the MSO install disc to a new folder on your desktop and then click the executable (usually called setup.exe) to start the install from there. The executable should be in the root of the new folder not in a subfolder. But don't forget you will need to do steps 1 through 14 again before you click on the executable to start off the install.......( but I guess you can do this in your sleep now!) Some extra thoughts for you: 1 Anti virus products have been known to cause trouble with an install of MS Office so try disabling your AV before you start ( but only for the duration of the installation.....) 2 MS Office is a large suite of applications , you should make sure that you have in excess of 2.5 GB of free space on your hard drive. 3 You must install from an account with Administrator priviliges 4 An install from safe mode can sometimes do the trick.. 5 Make sure that you are using the correct MS Office installation disc, (not a home burned copy, and NOT an Upgrade version either) Good luck and let us know how it goes Regards paws

#72 Jeff Davis

Jeff Davis

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:54 PM

Hi. Thanks! On #1, I use Resolutions MSP Anti-CyberCrime antiVirus which is an online service. My license expired as of 8/1/2009. I was a member using 10 nodes to cover 10 PCs. I think that it is currently active with the definitions that were current as of 8/1 but I am not sure. How would I disable it as you mentioned on #1 in your last posting?

#73 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:16 AM

Yikes Jeff...do you really mean you are running without up to date anti virus protection? Regards paws

#74 Jeff Davis

Jeff Davis

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:10 AM

I think that it is running with the 8/1/2009 definitions. It starts when I start the pc and the icon is in the bar next to the time clock. If I right click the icon and click ABOUT, it diplays a window saying Resolutions MSP 3.1.16.1, Company Name Cyber Resolutions, Last update 8/1/2009, Last check 11/6/2009 and a link to http://www.resolutionsmsp.com/
How do you think that I would Disable it - hopefully temporarily?

#75 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 02:20 PM

Hi Jeff I can't believe you are running with anti virus that is c2months out of date with its definitions.......if you are then you are vulnerable to all the nasties that the bad guys have issued and distributed over the last 2 months......... As a matter of great urgency pull out your Internet connection. Then use a properly protected machine to contact the supplier of your protections and either renew the subscription and get protected and get them to advise you on how to temporarily disable your protection or perform a permanent "uninstall" or termination and removal of all traces of the software, including Registry entries and services (so you can install some other product.) I am sorry that I can't give you specific instructions or advice on your AV as I'm not familiar with it.....( it seems to be .... some sort of "SaaS" .....Software as a Service (when you contact the software house resolutionsmsp.com it might be wise to see if they know if their protections commonly blocks installations of Microsoft Office Suites....... Regards paws