I've spent the last few days getting rid of malware.
I don't know that the two are related, but now the speaker icon is gone from my task bar.
Also, here are our symptoms:
1. DVD: Picture with NO sound
2. Music CD: NO sound, though I had sound earlier while I was checking out and troubleshooting my audio settings and drivers. (I hope I didn't mess up something when I let my computer download driver updates.) We get a pop up that says, "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."
3. CD-ROM (my sons' homework in Power Point):
a. BEFORE: upon placing the CD in the computer, the computer read the CD and opened it in power point with sound
b. NOW: the computer reads the CD, then we have to click My Computer, CD, and scroll to find the file. When we click the file, we get a picture but NO sound. Also, when we click an audio-only file, we get a pop up saying the same as with the music CD.
4. Internet: NO sound.
5. Still NO speaker icon on the lower tool bar even though I've checked that option.
6. Earlier today, I could open and play music from my hard drive in Windows Media Player. Now it won't even open.
My computer is roughly 5 years old, with XP Pro. I have a Micro-Star International MS-6580 (v2.X) ATX Mainboard. I found a CD-ROM labeled "Drivers and Utitlites." I don't know whether any files on there might help.
Thanks.
Robert Herman
Greetings.
The first thing I would try is reload your audio driver.
If it is on that CD then take it from there.
If you want to check for possible newer versions what is the make and model of the computer?
I removed your e-mail address as such is a magnet for possible spammer bots.
I rolled back my driver and got sound on my CDs, DVDs, and Windows Media Player. Presto! My speaker icon returned. I now have sound everywhere EXCEPT from the Internet.
Any suggestions?
My own research indicates that I may be missing a file in my Registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32. I looked there and it is empty.
Here are my qustions:
First, do you feel comfortable offering an opinion whether either of the following solutions might address my problem, i.e., I have NO sound from the Internet.
Second, if you are not comfortable giving an opinion whether either of these will work, could you please tell me how to make them happen. I've tried to do both and cannot get the text entered in my Registry @ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32.
Solution Number 1:
Here's the solution to your problem:
Copy this text into notepad (starting with Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00) and save it to your desktop using the name "missing.reg":
After saving the file, go to START > RUN > and type 'regedit' and then click OK
In the registry, select FILE > IMPORT and select the "missing.reg" file from your desktop
You should get a confirmation that it was imported successfully.
This is an instant fix … your speakers should now work for web sounds, no reboot required.
Solution Number 2:
There is a general Flash no sound registry fix to solve all driver mapping problem that may exists. But if you don’t want to touch so many registry keys, try the following trick which is also a better solution – direct to the cause.
Flash No Sound WaveMapper Solution
Launch Registry Editor by typing regedit at Run command.
Navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32
On the right pane, and check for existance of “wavemapper” registry subkey, the mail culprit causing Flash no sound. If not found, create a new String value named “wavemapper”, and give the entry value “msacm32.drv”.
If wavemapper entry is already existed, ensure that its value data is “msacm32.drv”.
Also ensure and verify that the msacm32.drv driver file is existing in C:\Windows\System32 folder. (I did this: it is there.)