This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Slow memory performance

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,
The memory on my laptop when using the internet in particular and opening IE pages is very slow.
Malware suspected, I have done a sytem scan and removed harmful findings with superantispyware.
My antivirus is Avast and my firewall is Comodo.
would appreciate any help and advice.
I have included a hijackthis file below.
Thankyou
andy.T

EDITED by paws HJT log uplifted as an attachement 📎hjt.txt
Hi Andy T
I have edited your post to remove the HJT log, If you are seeking advice on a suspected infection then its best to go here and follow the directions:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Welcome_New_…rs_t106388.html
However it appears that you may be using peer to peer filesharing (P2P) and this could probably be connected with the slowing down of your machine.

Quite often P2P file sharing is used to download copyright protected material and of course this is a bad thing and something that we cannot support on WTT ( in fact it is against our Terms of use to discuss P2P, apart from recommending its removal. However there are of course perfectly legitimate uses for P2P and its pretty clear from your log that you may have used Channel 4s 40d service, or the BBCs I Player or Sky's similar products. As part of the package kservice from Kontiki is installed as a Windows service and acts as a server in the background allowing shows to be uplifted (using your bandwidth to other 40D customers)

Sky and BBC's I player work in a similar way and although of course they are organizations of complete probity and high reputation its a little alarming to see your machine's resources used in this way….

Here's a link to some more detailed information and in particular how to use your firewall to block…
http://mou.me.uk/2007/05/09/kserviceexe-ch…tolen-bandwith/
Regards
paws
Hi Paws Thankyou for your prompt reply. I have been using the peertopeer for several months now with no probs, and My partner also uses her laptop on the peertopeer with no problems, so it doesnt sound like it would be that. I would therefore appreciate a check through for other possible causes. Will you be dealing with my problem or should I post elsewhere on the site. Sorry, not too sure where to post in order to have my system looked at and checked out for pos viruses. Please advise. Regards andy.T
Hi AndyT See the first link in my post above…… Come back here when your machine has been declared free of malware if the problem still persists, and we will do our best to help Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI