Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Stop Foreign Adverts

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kingdom1066

kingdom1066

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:41 AM

Hello Can anybody suggest a way to stop the annoying bouncy adverts from the likes of yahoo etc. :pullhair: Yahoo decided on exiting one email account to put me back to yahoo.es These are annoying, more so as I am in Spain and cant read the language yet. Ie7 on XP Pro SP3, Language set to UK, time zone Paris/Madrid Any help appreciated.
If at first you do not succeed then sky diving is not for you.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

MRU Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Interests:Tutte le cose italiane

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:16 PM

Can anybody suggest a way to stop the annoying bouncy adverts from the likes of yahoo etc. :pullhair:

You could try bouncing in time with the adverts so they appear to stay still ;)

Have you tried using a tailored Host file to block adverts?
Vino Rosso
Member of ASAP and Unite
The help we provide is free. If you wish to support us, please consider a small
donation

#3 kingdom1066

kingdom1066

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:29 PM

Its not friday can you give me a clue?

#4 Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

MRU Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:45 PM

Its not friday can you give me a clue?

What is the Hosts file?
Vino Rosso
Member of ASAP and Unite
donation

#5 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:Hoping to die.

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:51 PM

I can't help with tailor made stuff, but get, install\update and run the following programs\files and I bet many if not all will disappear.
SpywareBlaster, install, run,then update, and close, just load and check for updates regularly and thats it.
SpywareGuard , some say it's dated, but it's so lightweight it can't do any harm, install, run, update, thats it, it runs on boot with so little resources you wont even know it's there.
Hosts file, extract the files, launch the .exe, when it says hit any key to continue, just hit the space bar and thats it, delete the files, just bookmark the site and check for updates once a month say, then repeat.
WinPatrol, just a fantastic tool which takes so little resources it's crazy not to use it, protects your hosts file so unless you have run any of these, reject any requests to allow change, unless you know where the request has come from, it also allows great control over start up programs.

There may well be tracking cookies etc on your system as well, so it wont hurt to run some scans if you haven't yet, and run some junk file cleaners, hopefully this should take care of things for you.
CCleaner, junk cleaner.
Disk Cleaner, another junk cleaner
ATF-Cleaner, NOT for vista.
CleanUp, NOT for vista..

Braindead

#6 kingdom1066

kingdom1066

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:08 AM

Hello

What is the Hosts file?

A list to map IP numbers to web addresses. This can overwrite the host file that comes with MS and will reduce the access to malware sites.

8210 Guy
Thanks. I use ATF before closing down computer each day and I am running the paid version of winpatrol. (best software investment I have made)

Have even tried to blank some sites using IE privacy tab.

Internet resources blocking
Another example is filtering online advertising (ads) by installing entries for known ad servers that redirect requests to machines without the advertising, or more typically by redirecting such requests to a suitable address. Often, the local (loopback) address 127.0.0.1 is used for such purposes. However as some programs will run services on the loopback address, it may be preferable to redirect to an address which does not exist, such as 255.255.255.0.

The host file is also used in blocking or redirecting known malicious or criminal domains and servers which may contain spyware, adware, and other malware. The free utility Spybot - Search & Destroy, for example, includes a feature called "Immunize" that populates the hosts file with thousands of URLs of such websites redirected to 127.0.0.1 to block them.

Looks like a host file may have the desired effect.
Thanks for the imput and push in research direction.

May have answered my own question :blush:

Edited by kingdom1066, 17 September 2009 - 07:15 AM.

#7 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:Hoping to die.

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:59 AM

NP.s, running all the tools I gave above "should" stop the annoyance, it is typical of tracking cookies etc that your getting these pop up's, so cleaning the system out via the scans should remove them, then the host's file along with SpywareBlaster (a flash based hosts file) would hopefully give you the desired result.

Braindead

#8 Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

MRU Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:10 PM

May have answered my own question :blush:

Another successful teaching session then ;)
Vino Rosso
Member of ASAP and Unite
donation