Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

"Edit-find on this page"

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 shelljj

shelljj

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:23 AM

I am using IE8. There used to be a box that opened when I clicked on Edit, find on this page. That no longer happens. Now a blue tab appears under my addess tabs, but it does not let me type anything in it to find. I have googled this problem and not found anything that helps. I have checked the box under "Tools, internet options, advanced, enable websites to use the search pane.' That did nothing. I use the find option all the time and this is a huge problem for me. Is there anything else that I can do besides going back to IE6 or 7? Thanks for all your help on this.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:06 AM

The box is still thre for me:
IE8_Find.png

This is probably caused by an Add-on. Try starting IE8 without Add-ons.

Start / Accessories / System Tools / Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

Now try the find. If it's as it should be then you need to use Tools / Manage Add-ons to eliminate them until you find the one causing the problem.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 shelljj

shelljj

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:55 AM

Thanks for answering, but I guess that is not my problem. I tried everything that was there, turned it off, then back on, after opening a new window. The tab that shows the page I am on is the one that "lengthens" when I click on edit, find on this page" It let me type in it once, but now there is no where to type and no box to pop up. I really need this back, If there is a solution out there, please help me find it. Thanks for helping.

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:55 AM

have you tried a simple - F3 ?
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#5 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:56 AM

Maybe Unlock the ToolBar ?

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:13 PM

Did you try starting with no Add-ons?

Rich

#7 shelljj

shelljj

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:47 PM

I tried the F3 key, and it does the same thing as Edit, find. It just elongates the screen under the windows tabs. I did try starting with"no add-ons. I tried them all in order, disabling and enabling. Nothing changed. I unlocked the toolbar, same results. This only started after installing IE8. Is there a way to post a screen shot in here of the difference that I'm talking about?

#8 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:50 PM

http://forums.whatth...ead_t96285.html

#9 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:02 PM

Since this is new with IE8, I would uninstall it via Add/Remove Programs (check the Show updates box). That will give you IE7 or IE6 back, whichever you had before. If the problem doesn't occur there, then try reinstalling IE8 and see what happens. If it does occur, then use System Restore to go back to a date before you installed IE8, see if that resolves it.

Rich

#10 shelljj

shelljj

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:54 PM

:notworthy: Great. I uninstalled IE8 and the problem is fixed. Do you think I should reinstall it, or just stay with 7 since it works?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 shelljj

shelljj

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:01 PM

I think I posted my thanks on the wrong screen for the upload image post. So sorry... :unsure:

#12 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:56 PM

Reinstalling IE8 may work okay this time, you never know. If not, you can always uninstall it one more time, then the next time it's offered as an update, refuse it and check the box that says don't offer this one again. In order to do that, you need to change Automatic Updates to Notify you but do not download or install. You can do this by right clicking on My COmputer and selecting Properties. Click on the Automatic Update tab, then check the Notify radio button. My previous system, a HP 750C would not run IE8 cleanly. I was always getting some kind of weird error so I stayed at IE7.

Rich

#13 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:01 PM

If you should have the same problem again, there is still one more way to get the find box. I use Ctrl + F.
Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#14 shelljj

shelljj

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:09 PM

I may just stay with IE7 for now, it works for me. Also the Ctrl+F did the same thing as the "Edit, find on this page" did. It did not bring up a box, it just elongated the screen under my windows tab. That was part of what was making it so annoying. Nothing that should have worked did. Except uninstalling IE8. Thanks for all your help.

#15 shelljj

shelljj

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:29 AM

Ctrl+F did not work for me either. It did the same thing that the Edit find did. Nothing would make a "pop up" box for finding. I thank you for all the help on this, but the only thing that has worked is uninstalling IE8. Don't know why it changed the way it did, but I will stay with 7 for a while now.