This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

"Edit-find on this page"

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am using IE8. There used to be a box that opened when I clicked on Edit, find on this page. That no longer happens. Now a blue tab appears under my addess tabs, but it does not let me type anything in it to find. I have googled this problem and not found anything that helps. I have checked the box under "Tools, internet options, advanced, enable websites to use the search pane.' That did nothing. I use the find option all the time and this is a huge problem for me. Is there anything else that I can do besides going back to IE6 or 7? Thanks for all your help on this.
The box is still thre for me:
📎IE8_Find.png

This is probably caused by an Add-on. Try starting IE8 without Add-ons.

Start / Accessories / System Tools / Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

Now try the find. If it's as it should be then you need to use Tools / Manage Add-ons to eliminate them until you find the one causing the problem.
Thanks for answering, but I guess that is not my problem. I tried everything that was there, turned it off, then back on, after opening a new window. The tab that shows the page I am on is the one that "lengthens" when I click on edit, find on this page" It let me type in it once, but now there is no where to type and no box to pop up. I really need this back, If there is a solution out there, please help me find it. Thanks for helping.
I tried the F3 key, and it does the same thing as Edit, find. It just elongates the screen under the windows tabs. I did try starting with"no add-ons. I tried them all in order, disabling and enabling. Nothing changed. I unlocked the toolbar, same results. This only started after installing IE8. Is there a way to post a screen shot in here of the difference that I'm talking about?
Since this is new with IE8, I would uninstall it via Add/Remove Programs (check the Show updates box). That will give you IE7 or IE6 back, whichever you had before. If the problem doesn't occur there, then try reinstalling IE8 and see what happens. If it does occur, then use System Restore to go back to a date before you installed IE8, see if that resolves it.
Reinstalling IE8 may work okay this time, you never know. If not, you can always uninstall it one more time, then the next time it's offered as an update, refuse it and check the box that says don't offer this one again. In order to do that, you need to change Automatic Updates to Notify you but do not download or install. You can do this by right clicking on My COmputer and selecting Properties. Click on the Automatic Update tab, then check the Notify radio button. My previous system, a HP 750C would not run IE8 cleanly. I was always getting some kind of weird error so I stayed at IE7.
I may just stay with IE7 for now, it works for me. Also the Ctrl+F did the same thing as the "Edit, find on this page" did. It did not bring up a box, it just elongated the screen under my windows tab. That was part of what was making it so annoying. Nothing that should have worked did. Except uninstalling IE8. Thanks for all your help.
Ctrl+F did not work for me either. It did the same thing that the Edit find did. Nothing would make a "pop up" box for finding. I thank you for all the help on this, but the only thing that has worked is uninstalling IE8. Don't know why it changed the way it did, but I will stay with 7 for a while now.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI