This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Disabled USBs and CD player(both are OK), Windows says no format.

18 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

With the pen inserted and or the CD see what your Disk Management shows. Right click My Computer > click Manage > Disk Management What is listed inder the following headers? Volume | Layout | Type | File System | Status
Volume | Layout | Type | File System | Status (H:)| Partition | Basic | (nothing here, blank) | Correct I have XP on spanish, so im traslateing btw.
Zet,

Stick with what Jephree want's done but, if you get a minute do the following:

Please Click on Start in the lower left of your screen.

Click on Run.

In the window that opens, please paste the following:
regedit.exe /e "%userprofile%\Desktop\myfile.txt" "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CD Burning\Drives"

Click on OK

A file will appear on your desktop called myfile.txt

Post the contents back here.


::for the benefit of the Tech Team. I was wanting to see the data in this key because I've heard of this phenomenon but in relation (I think always) with Vista. It's like it gets stuck trying to burn data. I was grasping at straws. :blush:

Zet,

Stick with what Jephree want's done but, if you get a minute do the following:

Please Click on Start in the lower left of your screen.

Click on Run.

In the window that opens, please paste the following:
regedit.exe /e "%userprofile%\Desktop\myfile.txt" "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CD Burning\Drives"

Click on OK

A file will appear on your desktop called myfile.txt

Post the contents back here.


::for the benefit of the Tech Team. I was wanting to see the data in this key because I've heard of this phenomenon but in relation (I think always) with Vista. It's like it gets stuck trying to burn data. I was grasping at straws. :blush:


I did what you said and the following msg appears:

Can not export C:\documents and settings\zet\desktop\myfile.txt: error trying to open the file. It might be a disk error or from system file.
I think the focus should be taken off the "CD" drive, and focus on what there is in common between USB and CD drives.

It sounds as if the system is not recognizing the file systems on the drives.

Possibly, the system is only recognizing NTFS file systems.

I have not seen this problem before. But, I think it is HIGHLY LIKELY that a critical driver or service has been replaced by malware and deleted by combofix. Or, the system has not been cleaned entirely of malware. I would say the problem is completely dependent upon a low level file system driver that is corrupt, deleted, or replaced by malware. Or, a rootkit infection that is still active.

I think it is likely if there is a driver or service issue, the problem may show up in the computer's system log.

Please export your SYSTEM log and attach it to the forum by doing the following:

How to capture an event log and upload it to the forum:
  • First, open Event Viewer by clicking Start -> Run -> type eventvwr.msc and press ENTER.
  • In the Event Viewer please right click the requested event log (i.e. Application, system, etc…) and click Save Log File As.
  • Please save the logfile to your desktop and give it a recognizable name.
  • Do this for each log that has been requested.
  • When you are finished saving the necessary logs, close Event Viewer.
  • On your desktop find the saved log files. Hold the CTRL key and click to select each event log.
  • When all event logs are selected, right-click one of them, click Send to -> Compressed Zip Folder.
  • A new .ZIP file will have been created on your desktop. Please attach that file to this forum in your next reply.

If you have successfully extracted your data via another computer:

What happens if you choose to format the drive or device?


You mean the C:\ to fix this re installing windows, or the USB memorys?

What about the CD player, that wont make it work, im thinking…

This is, in your experience guys, a problem with the device, my windows, or my usb ports?
What if i put the ubuntu cd in the player, and run ubuntu without installing it, checking if the usb memorys are ok, and the cd player works properly?
I guess it is important to note that the problem can not be blamed on Combofix. From your malware thread, you stated the problem was present even before combofix was run (Post #1). You also used various methods to clean the infection on your own before hand. Those actions are not detailed in your malware thread and it is hard to know what changes were made before you sought the assistance of a malware expert.
I'm mostly thinking along the same lines as jephree and appleoddity…. that a drive letter has been deleted or is occupied.
Consider trying to use Management to rename and set a new path for your USB device.

For the time-being it doesn't really matter how it happened/what caused it, it is just important to get functionality back.

Here's a walk-through that may help:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/fin…-on-windows-xp/

When considering a new drive letter name and path, try something "far away" from those ordinarily used by Windows…
For instance try a P, Q, R or something in that range.

I think the focus should be taken off the "CD" drive, and focus on what there is in common between USB and CD drives.

It sounds as if the system is not recognizing the file systems on the drives.

Possibly, the system is only recognizing NTFS file systems.

I have not seen this problem before. But, I think it is HIGHLY LIKELY that a critical driver or service has been replaced by malware and deleted by combofix. Or, the system has not been cleaned entirely of malware. I would say the problem is completely dependent upon a low level file system driver that is corrupt, deleted, or replaced by malware. Or, a rootkit infection that is still active.

I think it is likely if there is a driver or service issue, the problem may show up in the computer's system log.

Please export your SYSTEM log and attach it to the forum by doing the following:

How to capture an event log and upload it to the forum:

  • First, open Event Viewer by clicking Start -> Run -> type eventvwr.msc and press ENTER.
  • In the Event Viewer please right click the requested event log (i.e. Application, system, etc…) and click Save Log File As.
  • Please save the logfile to your desktop and give it a recognizable name.
  • Do this for each log that has been requested.
  • When you are finished saving the necessary logs, close Event Viewer.
  • On your desktop find the saved log files. Hold the CTRL key and click to select each event log.
  • When all event logs are selected, right-click one of them, click Send to -> Compressed Zip Folder.
  • A new .ZIP file will have been created on your desktop. Please attach that file to this forum in your next reply.



here it is. Tuneup is a program with various tools, perhaps you heard from it. And the other rows that are not here on the log; where empty ;S

Attachments:

I'm mostly thinking along the same lines as jephree and appleoddity…. that a drive letter has been deleted or is occupied.
Consider trying to use Management to rename and set a new path for your USB device.

For the time-being it doesn't really matter how it happened/what caused it, it is just important to get functionality back.

Here's a walk-through that may help:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/fin…-on-windows-xp/

When considering a new drive letter name and path, try something "far away" from those ordinarily used by Windows…
For instance try a P, Q, R or something in that range.


Done, still saying no format.

Thanks a lot to everyone for their help!
I really appreciate it.

I guess it is important to note that the problem can not be blamed on Combofix. From your malware thread, you stated the problem was present even before combofix was run (Post #1). You also used various methods to clean the infection on your own before hand. Those actions are not detailed in your malware thread and it is hard to know what changes were made before you sought the assistance of a malware expert.

I didnt use anything by my own; only scanning my hard disk drive several times with my antivirus, and also scanning in safe mode.
I did use, to check, Spybot S&D, and to know exactly how things happend and the help Ive got on the rootkit problem, you can check this :
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Win32-Rootk…amp;pid=1622193

My point is that if you have a CD or Pen drive with no vital data and Windows says it needs formatting: can you format it?

I could try with the USB mp3 players, but they have their own system inside, and idk if im going to be able to install it back again; aside, what would the solution be for the cd player, i cant format a cd, it says "insert a disk" like theres none inside already.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI