This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Understanding my default partitions...

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

So here's the thing. I just got this new/used computer, an HP Pavilion dv9500. When I got it, it came with three partitions already set up on the HD. The first, C, is called OS, and takes up 103GB. The second, D, is called Data, and takes up 111GB. The third, E, is called HP_Recovery, and takes up 8.41GB. I think the first is pretty self explanatory, since that's where the OS and all of my normal files are saved. But the other two I'm a bit confused about. Is the E drive where I'm supposed to store my System Restore points? Or is that something that's saved just for HP? And if not, do I put my Restore points on the D drive? Can I put anything else I want there too? Like my movies, music, pictures? Can I install things to the D drive? Or is it just for storage? Every other computer I've had, I've partitionsed the drives myself, so I knew exactly what they were for. This is kinda confusing me. But hey, maybe I'm just over thinking… I do that a lot. Thanks in advance!
The HP recovery partition is where the OS installation files are. Don't mess with that!!! The OS will be on C & D must be a user created secondary partition for other files. Restore points are kept on all of the partitions are drives that they are enabled for and they can't be moved to other partitions. C will have its own restore points and D will have its own if system restore points if system restore is enabled on that partition. Your personal files are located were ever your "my documents" [XP] or "documents" [vista] folder is set to point to. You can find out where windows is putting your personal files by right clicking on documents or my documents, click on properties, & then click on location. The default location for a user's documents is under the "users" folder [Vista] or "documents and settings" folder [xp] in a sub-folder named after the profile on the same partition as the OS; this is called the user's "shell" folder and it is where all of the user's settings, configuration files, & documents are stored. Where the your personal files are put can be changed in this tab or you can move them yourself. I hope this helps.
Hi jfinner1.

You have two usable partitions, C: and D:. The 3rd one is where your HP Recovery information is stored and should never be touched or used. It would actually be a good idea to turn off System Restore for it.

C: is the operating system (Windows XP Pro or Home) as you said.
D: can be used for anything you want. I install all my programs there and have moved the My Documents folder there as well to isolates it from the operating system. It would be a good place to setup a temp folder for storing things you download as well as any music, pictures, videos, etc.

As for E:, according to the Maintenance and Service Guide found here http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualC…ct=3255934&, on page 150, you can click on Start > All Programs > Recovery Manager > Recovery Manager or restart the computer and press F11 while the "Press for recovery" message is displayed on the screen.

This will allow you to restore your computer to it's factory installed state, exactly as it was when it was first purchased. You would then have to install Sevice Pack 3 and all the latest updates, Anti virus, firewall and any other software you use.

Page 147 also tells you how to create a set of recovery discs which would be a good thing to do. That way if the hard drive dies, you can put in a new one then use the recovery disc to reload the computer.

One thing you need to think about is how you are going to backup your data, not the OS, just your personal data you don't want to lose. Buying an external USB enclosure (with a fan) and a 250GB or so hard drive would be an excellent choice. The you could use free software like DriveImage XML or commercial software like Acronis True Image (my preference, though I use both) to backup your entire system on a regular basis. Then a hD failure is no big deal. Pu tin a new one, restore your latest backup and in 30 minutes or so your back on the air with little or no loss of data.

Edit: I see BEN T beat me to it. Oh well, I need to type faster I guess :notworthy:

Edit: I see BEN T beat me to it. Oh well, I need to type faster I guess :notworthy:

Thats right.

I have entirerly separate drives and I also have XP [but I mainly use Vista]. I only have system restore points enabled for the OS partition itself. I moved the default shell documents folder to my other hard drive and I also keep installation files & partition backups on the secondary drive but I leave the programs on the OS partition.
Thank you both for the fast responses. That really cleared it up for me. This is my first time ever using Vista, and I'm still trying to figure out what "weird stuff" is Vista, and what is just the new computer. For the last year or so I've been using another computer that was dual booted with XP and Linux Ubuntu, and had three partitions, one for each OS, and one that was shared between the OSes for music, movies, etc. But since I did all that myself, and this computer came as is, I'm still trying to figure out what I can play with and what will crash me, lol. I'm kinda pathetic when it comes to Windows, and Vista has been a nightmare so far… But I need it for school. So you'll probably be seeing a lot more of me over the next few weeks. Thanks again for the help!
Personally, I haven't had too many problems with Vista on my computer. My current install has actually lasted longer than any of my XP installs. I have gotten used to it & I use it all of the time now. I still have XP on my computer though.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI