This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

slow...slow...slow

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Greetings. I have a 2800+AMD athalon, 512 MB ram, ATI radeon 9600, 120G hard drive. Recently the internet has been quite slow at first start, for example when firefox first opened would take about 60 secs to open the page…then after that would run normally. But….now ALL the computer applications are really slow. Startup took about 5 minutes…plus 5 to open firefox….even the mouse was slow to respond. I recently installed AVG vs avast thinking that it was avast that was slowing down the startup, etc…but the computer is slower now than ever. I don't think this is a spyware/malware problem as it is not acting bizarre with pop ups..etc. Any suggestions? Have emptied out temp internet files,,cookies,,etc. couple of days ago. Don't use IE..exclusively firefox.
What is the Operating System? If recent: have you tried System Restore? Also have you tried Safe Mode w/ Networking just to see if there is a difference.
Thank you. Restore point did not significantly speed up the start up nor the windows activities. It seems "normal" after the computer has been on for about 10 minutes or so and after the first loooong access to the home page. I ran a full avg scan earlier today after my initial post and deleted several *threats*. I shall try the safe mode suggestions later….

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI