This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Boot.ini filed Failed to load

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

ok i have a problem i reformated and wen i load my PC on MSdos it says invalid boot.ini file failed to load or something
but windows loads up perfectly ?
i fixed it Here's how I fixed the invalid boot.ini problem (Windows XP Pro). The reason this occurs, I suspect, is that the original boot.ini file gets corrupted somehow. In my case, I had a system lockup. When it rebooted, I started getting the invalid boot.ini message. I tried a couple of things at first. Tried a system restore, but it did nothing. I then cleared out the boot.ini file and saved it, then re-opened it and put back in the information (i checked the boot.ini file information and it matched perfectly with what should be there). This also did nothing, which lead me to believe the original boot.ini file waa simply corrupted. To fix this - and its a pathetically simple fix after having done all of this, go to run and type in MSCONFIG. Then click on the "Boot.ini" tab. First, make sure if using XP Pro that the following is listed: [boot loader] timeout=30 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS [operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect - this is the boot.ini information from XP, straight from the Microsoft Web Site. All the information below [operating systems] should be on one line! If you have a blank boot.ini file, copy and paste this information - if all information is already there, then don't change anything. Next, click the button that says "check all boot paths". You should get back a message stating that everything is good (the computer checks to make sure the boot.ini file is compatible with Microsoft Operating Systems). Next, assuming your computer likes the boot.ini file that is in there (and it should), then click the button that says "set as default". By doing this, you have now created a new (modified) boot.ini file that is a carbon copy of the original. Click apply. You will be prompted to restart. Before doing so, go back to MSCONFIG and in the general tab you will see that "use modified boot.ini" should now be checked. During reboot, you should not get the invalid boot.ini message (at least I didn't). What you will get is a message (after reachign the desktop) stating that you are not using the defaults or something like that and do you wish to go back into MSCONFIG to restore the default settings. Since your new boot.ini file is exactly the same as your original, click no and check the box to hide that irritating message. Hope this helps someone with the same problem I had.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI