Temujin
Dear all,
Many years later, I am sad to report I completely failed in my attempt to do the above. I am only running into this problem again because I have bought new HDDs (and processor/mobo/GPU) and am getting ready to retire my old HDDs and transfer their data to a new system. I don't have Windows 7 yet, so I am probably for now just going to install Win XP on my new HDD, that will have 2 other slave drives.
I still have the old files in the old HDD that are still encrypted though (as I explained previously, the Win XP on that old HDD was corrupted and I cannot log in to it anymore), and before I totally nuke them/erase the old drive, I would like to try one last time to save them and was wondering if anyone here would have a suggestion on what to do with my new Win XP installation, in order to get those files back.
I still have access to the old HDD's file folders, and I can see the old certificate/EFS key under the F:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My\Certificates folder (its a system file with no extension that has a long string of characters as its name), and was wondering if I could use that file somehow to install in the new hard drive, to be able to access the encrypted files. Again, I can't boot into that HDD in order to export that EFS key in the traditional way (described here: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-t…pted-xp-files/).
I can, however, just copy and paste the EFS key, but I haven't the faintest if that would work. Do I just copy that file into my new HDD's equivalent user folder, and I can access the encrypted files?
Sorry for essentially asking the same question again, however, I noticed the links that were provided in the previous answers to my first post have now disappeared and no longer work. I also hoped maybe there was an updated way to deal with this (maybe new software someone knows of, that is used for this express purpose?).
Any ideas / guidance / thoughts on this are much appreciated! Thank you.
Many years later, I am sad to report I completely failed in my attempt to do the above. I am only running into this problem again because I have bought new HDDs (and processor/mobo/GPU) and am getting ready to retire my old HDDs and transfer their data to a new system. I don't have Windows 7 yet, so I am probably for now just going to install Win XP on my new HDD, that will have 2 other slave drives.
I still have the old files in the old HDD that are still encrypted though (as I explained previously, the Win XP on that old HDD was corrupted and I cannot log in to it anymore), and before I totally nuke them/erase the old drive, I would like to try one last time to save them and was wondering if anyone here would have a suggestion on what to do with my new Win XP installation, in order to get those files back.
I still have access to the old HDD's file folders, and I can see the old certificate/EFS key under the F:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My\Certificates folder (its a system file with no extension that has a long string of characters as its name), and was wondering if I could use that file somehow to install in the new hard drive, to be able to access the encrypted files. Again, I can't boot into that HDD in order to export that EFS key in the traditional way (described here: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-t…pted-xp-files/).
I can, however, just copy and paste the EFS key, but I haven't the faintest if that would work. Do I just copy that file into my new HDD's equivalent user folder, and I can access the encrypted files?
Sorry for essentially asking the same question again, however, I noticed the links that were provided in the previous answers to my first post have now disappeared and no longer work. I also hoped maybe there was an updated way to deal with this (maybe new software someone knows of, that is used for this express purpose?).
Any ideas / guidance / thoughts on this are much appreciated! Thank you.