This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Sound No longer works on computer after following instructions here

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Thanks, I did try deleting the soundcard entry and rebooting Reinstallation looked to be happening but there were 3 files that panels stated could not be found Alcxscns.sys crlds3d.dll audio3D.dll Despite this, I did get messages telling me my new hardware was installed and ready to use, but sadly when I try to play audio or video files the same error messages as stated at the start of this thread still pop up and there is no sound. Thank you for your help. Andrew
Ok.

We are going to alter a key in the registry, therefore, as a safety precaution, we will make a backup of your registry.

Please follow this guide for downloading and using Erunt backup utility:

http://forums.whatthetech.com/How_backup_r…UNT_t99376.html

When done, please do the following;

Goto start, choose Run, type: Regedit

Use the "tree" to the left to find the following string:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Audiosrv

Expand by using the + sign, click once on the folder named "Enum"

There you should see a entry named;

Root\LEGACY_AUDIOSRV\0000

Rightclick it and choose delete, answer yes to the prompt if you are sure.

Close it all, and reboot the machine.

The key is the enum key for PnP (Plug and Play) for audio services, and should repopulate and re-establish with your soundcard
once rebooted.

Check service
Check sound

If you have any questions to the above, please post. better be sure, than sorry.

Regards
I have made the registry edits and rebooted, but I;m afraid I don't understand the last two instructions Check service Check sound Can you explain what you mean by that please. Andrew
I'm afraid the answer to both is no. I ran services.msc and under Windows audio the situation is as I described earlier. When I try to start the service I stll get the error 1083 message. The computer still has no sound
I am believing you are using Realtek sound AC97, correct?

If so, please try download and install the lastest driver for it, and see how it goes;

http://download.cnet.com/Realtek-AC-97-Dri…4-10238712.html

If you do not use Realtek sound, do not install the above driver.
But the entry in your HJT topic, "Soundman.exe" suggests that you do.

Also, I'll have to look into this file;

Alcxscns.sys


I could not find any info on this file. The spelling is correct on this one right?
Ok.

The 3 files

Alcxscns.sys,( mispelled, correct is: Alcxsens.sys)
crlds3d.dll
audio3D.dll

Belongs to the Sensaura Ltd. Sound Driver for Realtek Ac97. It is a old obsolete driver, which is properly why you have trouble with it.
The service belonging to this driver can be found in Services. It should be disabled.


Cheers
Apologies for the misspelling I could not identify the service belonging to the obsolete driver. Can you tell me how to identify it. Kind Regards Andrew

Can you tell me how to identify it.


I can't, sorry. Never encountered that particular driver before.

But if you install the new Realtek sound driver above, I believe it would overwrite it.
So give that a try.

Alternatively, you could open device-manager, remove the present driver for your sound.
Reboot, and answer no to letting windows install the driver. Then install that driver i linked to.
Reboot, if not asked to do so.

If that don't work, I have to try consult with some of my peers, and see what we can
come up with.


cheers
Andrew, did you ever check if the dependencies were started?

Listed dependencies are:

The service depends on the following system components
Plug and Play
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
DCOM Server Process Launcher


Also, could you look in your eventviewer, look for recent entries about errors.
If any is present, choose "action" in the menu, then "save logfile"

Go to Start - Run, type eventvwr.msc, then Press Enter

Click on system. Take the 5 most recent events which have an error marked.
Doubleclick each error, bringing up the info.
Paste the info into this thread for each error.

Next, Go to Start - Run, type: DxDiag

Answer No to the first prompt.

Next click on the sound tab.
Click on the radio-button; save all information.
Save it to desktop.

Copy/paste the info here, either as a attachment (zipped up file) or the following sections;

System Infomation
Sound devices
Sound Capture Devices
DirectMusic
First Error

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 7/14/2009
Time: 19:46
User: N/A
Computer: ANDREW-04C4290A
Description:
The CryptSvc service failed to start due to the following error:
The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.




Second Error

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 7/14/2009
Time: 19:46
User: N/A
Computer: ANDREW-04C4290A
Description:
The CryptSvc service failed to start due to the following error:
The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.


Third error

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 7/14/2009
Time: 19:46
User: N/A
Computer: ANDREW-04C4290A
Description:
The CryptSvc service failed to start due to the following error:
The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.


Fourth error is the same as the first 3


Fifth Error

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10010
Date: 7/14/2009
Time: 19:46
User: ANDREW-04C4290A\Andrew
Computer: ANDREW-04C4290A
Description:
The server {E60687F7-01A1-40AA-86AC-DB1CBF673334} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.


I could not work out how to attach a file. Sections of Dxdiag.txt follows

——————
System Information
——————
Time of this report: 7/14/2009, 20:03:28
Machine name: ANDREW-04C4290A
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.080814-1233)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: GBT___
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory: 1536MB RAM
Page File: 505MB used, 2419MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode


————
DxDiag Notes
————
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.
————-
Sound Devices
————-
Description: Realtek AC97 Audio
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: No
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&SUBSYS_A0021458&REV_02
Manufacturer ID:
Product ID:
Type: WDM
Driver Name: ALCXWDM.SYS
Driver Version: 5.10.0000.6300 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
Date and Size: 9/24/2008 10:40:22, 4122368 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
HW Accel Level: Full
Cap Flags: 0x0
Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX™ 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
I3DL2™ Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
Sensaura™ ZoomFX™: No
Registry: OK
Sound Test Result: Not run

———————
Sound Capture Devices
———————
Description: Realtek AC97 Audio
Default Sound Capture: No
Default Voice Capture: No
Driver Name: ALCXWDM.SYS
Driver Version: 5.10.0000.6300 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Date and Size: 9/24/2008 10:40:22, 4122368 bytes
Cap Flags: 0x0
Format Flags: 0x0

———–
DirectMusic
———–
DLS Path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers\GM.DLS
DLS Version: 1.00.0016.0002
Acceleration: n/a
Ports: Microsoft Synthesizer, Software (Not Kernel Mode), Output, DLS, Internal, Default Port
Realtek AC97 Audio, Software (Kernel Mode), Output, DLS, Internal
Registry: OK
Test Result: Not run



I'm afraid I don't know how to open device-manager, remove the present driver for my sound, so I have not done that.

I also haven't looked at whether the dependencies are started. I'll do that after this post.

Thank you again for your help.

Andrew

I can confirm that the dependencies are started


Good :thumbup:

To get to the device-manager, follow this path;

Start > control panel > system >Hardware tab > Device Manager

Find your Sound-card, right-click and choose remove driver. Answer yes to the prompts.
Reboot, and answer no to let windows install the driver (if possible).
Double-click the beforehand downloaded driver I linked to, and install.


I am a bit busy right now, but will have a closer look on your post later, and hopefully the
new driver will sort things out. Nothing else, but to try :)


Regards
I tried. There were 3 error messages on trying to install the new driver. Setup cannot copy the file alcxsens.sys Setup cannot copy the file crlds3d.dll Setup cannot copy the file audio3D.dll
Andrew,

Do you have an item such as Realtek High Definition Autdio Driver in your
Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs list?

If you do, does Add/Remove allow you to Remove it?
If it allows you to do so, go ahead and Remove, then attempt to Install your Realtek Audio Driver

Please let us know if this worked.
____________________________

If it does not allow you to Remove it, the installation protocol used by Windows Installer may have become corrupted.

If the above applies for you, have a look at this Microsoft article and the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.

Use all of the caution that Microsoft recommends and remove "only" those items related to Realtek installations.

Then please attempt to install the Realtek driver again, using the linked information provided by Abydos above.

Please let us know if this worked.
__________________________

It is possible that we are attempting to install the wrong Audio Driver.

Using Internet Explorer, please download and allow to install Belarc Advisor
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Please do not post the entire report into this Forum since it does provide some proprietary information that belongs to you.

Browse through the Belarc Advisor Report. (you'll notice that it provides some great information)

We need the information under:
Multimedia
and
Other Devices
_________________

for instance, this machine that I am presently using reports:

Multimedia
Realtek High Definition Audio

Other Devices:
Hewlett-Packard OfficeJet G55 Scanner
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Logitech USB Wheel Mouse
Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical
USB Root Hub (3x)

Please provide the corresponding information in your next reply.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI