MARTY1946
Topic Starter
Hardware
dell inspiron 1000
2 min read
8210GUY
TBH it's probably totally fried, and TBH with a laptop there is little you can do but take it to a shop, they aren't really made for end users to go inside of, and as you can't swap parts between systems on a laptop (generally speaking compared to a tower), your extremely limited as to what you can do, so my best advice is take it to a service place capable of dealing with this, but depending how much it cost it may be cheaper to bin it if it took too much out, if your really lucky the power pack would take the full hit, but I wouldn't hold my breath, if you have another power pack suitable for this then give that a try, otherwise a shop is the best bet.
But it would be advisable for them to get and use a surge protector, it's supposed to stop such things damaging the equipment, but a UPS is even better, but I don't know of possible issues with a laptop, because you only hear people using them with a tower, at least I have anyway, but it highly advisable to check this out to avoid such future expenses, hope something here helps a bit.
MARTY1946
Hello 8210GUY,
How about the Hard Drive?
Can they get their info and transfer it to a new machine?
Thanks for your help.
Marty
How about the Hard Drive?
Can they get their info and transfer it to a new machine?
Thanks for your help.
Marty
Abydos
If the harddisk isn't fried, I can't see why not.
http://www.wikihow.com/Recover-Data-from-t…f-a-Dead-Laptop
Hope it is possible, I'll cross my fingers
http://www.wikihow.com/Recover-Data-from-t…f-a-Dead-Laptop
Hope it is possible, I'll cross my fingers
8210GUY
Hi, as said if your lucky the drive will be OK, you should be able to take it out and add it as a slave in another system, you will then be able to access the drive and move the data you need to keep onto whatever media (eg burn to disk or add to another drive) and your good to go, as long as that was lucky enough to of survived, the most likely parts that have gone on the system are the motherboard, the ram and it's power, my hope is the drive will be OK, if it is accessing the data is very simple.
MARTY1946
Hello All,
Thanks for your expert advice.
I will get back to you with my progress.
Marty
Thanks for your expert advice.
I will get back to you with my progress.
Marty
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI