Ok, well now when I open my webpage it is no longer blank. I have set Yahoo as my homepage for the time being. But… I am still having probs with clicking on links and nothing happening.
I clicked on the PCPitstop and tried to click on "create free account" and nothing happened.
However; when I signed back on it asked me if I wanted to make Internet explorer my default browser and I checked yes I do not know what IE it is though because when I click on help and then about IE it does not say what version it is. AND I cannot see it in the add and remove programs.
Sorry about that I was tired when I posted last night.
It said I had IE 7 and I uninstalled it.
Then when I signed back in, a page came up and asked if I wanted to make IE my default browser, and I checked yes.
It looked as though it was IE 8, because when it was done, it said "congratulations you have just installed IE 8"
But when I open help it does not say IE 8. Are you able to remote into my desktop?
(I just read your profile page, but I could not leave a comment, when I click on leave comment nothing happens. But I noticed you are from michigan. I live in Ludington, Michigan. Congrats on your new baby! I pray that God blesses you and your family in all you do.
Please download Dial-A-Fix. Open the .zip file that you downloaded and run the dial-a-fix.exe file. When dial-a-fix runs, click the little hammer icon near the bottom of the window to bring up the tools menu. Scroll down to repair/reinstall IE. Select it, and click GO. If you are prompted for your windows xp disc, or other installation media, please BROWSE to C:\Windows\I386 and see if the files can be found there.
When finished, make sure you reboot your computer.
If you run into any errors, please post them back here.
I was able to click the download and it ran …BUT…when I opened the file this error came up in a seperate box:
! C:\Documents and Settings\Online College class\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\QTV8MKRX\Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24[1].zip: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged
! Cannot execute "C:\DOCUME~1\ONLINE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX22.062\Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24\Dial-a-fix.exe"
Ok … I went to the second option on the Dial-a-fix page and it brought the box up with the hammer on it.
I clicked on the hammer
I could not find C:\Windows\I386
I did click yes all the way through it though.
After restarting my computer I still have the same problems.
Like I still cannot click on certain buttons to open things
I just discovered something…. I am able to log on to pages with mozilla firefox web browser.
I cannot logon to the web pages (like my bank account) with IE but can do it with Mozilla Firefox. Hmmmmm
You were not real clear on what process you performed above. I read your previous post before you edited it. So, what do you mean you used the second option on the dial-a-fix page? Do you mean you tried downloading it from a different location? And, when you ran the repair/reinstall IE option, what were the results? Did it complete successfully? Were you asked for the CD or certain files? Were there any errors? I wasn't aware you had to click Yes all the way through anything?
Please remember I am not looking at your screen so my troubleshooting can be only as good as the information you are giving me. Please be specific. Thanks.
Its great that FireFox is working, but we need to determine what is wrong with IE because this will effect other aspects of your computer, as you have already seen.
Sorry for not being more specific. I forget that you cannot see exactly what I am talking about. Ok here is a detailed description:
Ok, I am looking at the About IE right now, and it has 4 squares that are kind of overlapping one another and the blue one has an “e” in it. Then one is green, one is red, and the other is yellow.
Because I could not find the version in the about IE I followed the instructions on the site you gave me and typed:
cmd /k reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer" /v Version In the run box.
It says that I am running version 6
Now on the Dial-a-fix:
1. There was 2 download choices; primary (recommended) and secondary. When I tried the primary nothing happened.
2. When I did the secondary these are the steps I followed I opened it, clicked on the hammer, clicked on repair/reinstall IE, a confirm box came up and I clicked “YES” on that. Then another box came up with “Files Needed” it request a CD. I do not have the CD so I followed your instructions and typed: C:\Windows\I386 but that was nowhere on my computer. After that I just closed out of the box. There was a confirm box that read: Reset all IE defaults? This will set IE as your default browser, reset all of the search and error pages, and several other IE settings. It will only take a few seconds. I clicked “YES” after that it looked like a refresh because all my desktop icons blinked. But My IE is still acting the same.
3. I just did all these steps one by one so I could tell you how I did it. But this time these did not come up:
! C:\Documents and Settings\Online College class\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\QTV8MKRX\Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24[1].zip: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged
! Cannot execute "C:\DOCUME~1\ONLINE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX22.062\Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24\Dial-a-fix.exe"
4. Ok the above information is everything that I did in detail.
So, actually, the repair/reinstall of IE did not take place because you cancelled out of that.
During the install of IE it will look for several files. If it can't find them it will ask where they are. The best thing to do is to use an XP cd to restore the files. However, if the files aren't damaged, they should be on your computer somewhere. If it is a name brand machine, the manufacturer probably placed the windows files on the hard drive somewhere.
Try opening my computer and searching for "I386" (That's the letter I, not the number 1). Look for any folders it may find that are called I386. Let me know what ones you find if any. Any I386 folder that you find will probably contain the files that you need during the reinstall. If you direct it to that location during the repair/reinstall it should load the files and finish the repair.
Is there another way to do a search on the computer besides using "search"? My search comes up blank. The little dog is there but the rest is black with no writing or nothing.
Wow! I am going to throw my computer!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
I opened run> typed cmd > pasted dir /ad c:\I386 /s > %userprofile%\desktop\postme.txt
It says: the system cannot find the file specified
Now what?
Sorry I have not replied sooner. My son surprised me and came home for the holiday! He was here for 10 days! Yay!!! but anyways here is the postme txt:
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 3C9F-2D9C
Directory of c:\ATI\SUPPORT\7-11_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_54435\Driver\SBDrv\RAID
11/24/2007 10:16 PM i386
0 File(s) 0 bytes
Directory of c:\ATI\SUPPORT\7-12_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_55811\Driver\SBDrv\RAID
12/29/2007 02:03 AM i386
0 File(s) 0 bytes
Directory of c:\ATI\SUPPORT\8-10_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_69561\SBDrv\RAID
10/31/2008 03:18 PM i386
0 File(s) 0 bytes
Directory of c:\ATI\SUPPORT\8-3_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_59746\Driver\SBDrv\RAID
04/03/2008 01:33 AM i386
0 File(s) 0 bytes
Directory of c:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib
06/25/2009 08:24 PM i386
0 File(s) 0 bytes
Directory of c:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache
04/16/2009 03:02 AM i386
0 File(s) 0 bytes
Directory of c:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0004\DriverFiles
12/07/2006 10:28 PM i386
0 File(s) 0 bytes
Directory of c:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0007\DriverFiles
12/07/2006 10:28 PM i386
0 File(s) 0 bytes
Directory of c:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0008\DriverFiles
12/07/2006 10:28 PM i386
0 File(s) 0 bytes
Directory of c:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0009\DriverFiles
05/17/2008 05:49 PM i386
0 File(s) 0 bytes
Directory of c:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0011\DriverFiles
05/17/2008 05:50 PM i386
0 File(s) 0 bytes
Directory of c:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0012\DriverFiles
08/25/2008 01:02 AM i386
0 File(s) 0 bytes
Directory of c:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\XPSEP
11/07/2007 05:57 PM i386
0 File(s) 0 bytes
Directory of c:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\XPSEP\i386
11/07/2007 05:57 PM i386
0 File(s) 0 bytes
Total Files Listed:
0 File(s) 0 bytes
14 Dir(s) 380,973,056 bytes free
Hi Jackie.. Sorry I didn't get back with you sooner. This thread kind of slipped my mind. It never hurts to post a reply and say, "Hey, whats up with you man!!!" Then I get an e-mail, then you get a response.
Anyways, we had quite a mess going, but my ultimate intention was to get Internet Explorer 6 reinstalled.
From your last reply there are no windows installation files on your hard drive.
If you can't download it with IE, then use FireFox. Run the installation file that you downloaded and see if it will reinstall IE6. Then, see if things seem to function properly with IE.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI