This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Lost my email account

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have an email account with our internet provider. I accessed my email last night, no problem, this morning, when I tried to check my emails, there was a pop up window that said "There is no shawmail account on this user account", or something to that effect. Problem is, that's my business email. All my client correspondence is on it, all my contacts, etc. I know it has to be stored somewhere on the computer, but not a clue where it would be. As I receive emails from clients, I move them to a file on it labeled "Client correspondence", etc. I'm thinking it should be somewhere? Help, please? Thanks! I've already run Shaw's support links, and it actually gave me a new email, but I still need to access my old one somehow!
This problem has been solved. The original email back that I received(from the techs at shawmail) had been unhelpful in the extreme. After a phone call, someone else was able to retrieve everything for me!
sinnead, do you backup your important data like business Email, if not, why not.

If you're using your computer for business, you should be doing regular backups of the entire drive so when it dies (when, not if) it will be a simple and quick job to replace the drive then restore your data and continue.

Acronis True Image and a good sized external hard drive are ideal for this.
I know I should :blush: I do do backups of my documents, etc. Unfortunately, I didn't do a back up of everything in my email. Thank heavens I got everything back! I checked out Acronis when I saw this reply. It's totally out of my price range. Can I do backups of my email account that's on the computer? And what would be a good external hard drive for a small business that brings in maybe 25- 30,000 a year?
$40 is out of your price range? see here: http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&…onis+true+image

How big is you hard drive? You can backup the entire drive which is the preferred way as it give you full recovery in case of a failure or backup just your critical data if you know where it's all located.

External drives vary in price depending on size. I'd recommend getting an external USB 2.0 enclosure that has a fan, then buy a hard drive at l4east as big as the one in your computer to put in it.

Here is an example of a good external enclosure for a reasonable price: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00…1921&sr=8-1

Hard drives vary in price and are often available on sale. You can spend anywhere from $50 to $150 depending on what you need.

A cheap alternative, at least for he short term would be to get a 4 or 8 GB flash drive and copy your My Documents folder to it every night before you shut down. They are very susceptible to static shock and can die unexpectedly, but if you take care of them and are careful with them they will last for a few years at least. Might be good to have two and rotate their use.

Another alternative is to get a 2nd hard drive of the same size or larger than your current drive and mount it as a slave in the computer. Then with Acronis you can have it automatically backup every day at a specified time.

Just some ideas.
This is what I saw when I googled Acronis True Image: Price per License * $1219 That's what's out of my price range! $40.00? Where? I'll check out ext. hard drives tomorrow after work! Thanks

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI