This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

possible hack thru ftp

29 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi Emeraldnzl I have a question about the infected files in outlook. I can delete the file in my c: root but if I delete the files in the documents folder, isn't that my main database? If I eliminate the archive.pst and outlook.pst in that location wouldn't I wipe out all my emails and contacts? I'm not as versed as I should be with the structure of outlook.
Deleting Outlook.pst like that would remove all your e-mail etc. I think.

You have infection there though and you need to remove the infected e-mail, both in archive and in Outlook.pst current.

Let's see if we can use a tool to do it another way:

It is a pretty big download at 28mb's but is very useful at detecting\cleaning rootkits or whatever it finds.

Please click here to download AVP Tool by Kaspersky.
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Reboot your computer into SafeMode.

    You can do this by restarting your computer and continually tapping the F8 key until a menu appears.
    Use your up arrow key to highlight SafeMode then hit enter
    .

  • Double click the setup file to run it.
  • Click Next to continue.
  • It will by default install it to your desktop folder.Click Next.
  • Hit ok at the prompt for scanning in Safe Mode.
  • It will then open a box There will be a tab that says Automatic scan.
  • Under Automatic scan make sure these are checked.

  • System Memory
  • Startup Objects
  • Disk Boot Sectors.
  • My Computer.
  • Also any other drives (Removable that you may have)


After that click on Security level then choose Customize then click on the tab that says Heuristic Analyzer then choose Enable Deep rootkit search then choose ok.
Then choose OK again then you are back to the main screen.

  • Then click on Scan at the to right hand Corner.
  • It will automatically Neutralize any objects found.
  • If some objects are left un-neutralized then click the button that says Neutralize all
  • If it says it cannot be Neutralized then chooose The delete option when prompted.
  • After that is done click on the reports button at the bottom and save it to file, name it Kas.
  • Save it somewhere convenient like your desktop and just post only the detected Virus\malware in the report it will be at the very top under Detected post those results in your next reply.

    Note: This tool will self uninstall when you close it so please save the log before closing it.

Hi Emeraldnzl Great idea. I'll do that and the other cleanup when I return on the 1st. I really appreciate your help. Have a great week. Blind Lemon
Hello Emeraldnzl, sorry for such a long response, been a crazy summer. We were trying to rid an infection out of my outlook and here's the apv text report. Doesn't look like it found the infection to be able to delete it. Nothing under detected. I've notice that my laptop boots up really slowly lately. Any thoughts? Duration: 07:36:58 Finish time: 8/5/2009 4:49:15 PM Detected ——– Status Object —— —— Events —— Time Name Status Reason —- —- —— —— 8/5/2009 9:12:27 AM Running module: smss.exe\smss.exe ok scanned Statistics ———- Object Scanned Detected Untreated Deleted Moved to Quarantine Archives Packed files Password protected Corrupted —— ——- ——– ——— ——- ——————- ——– ———— —————— ——— Settings ——– Parameter Value

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI