I previously had some help on here see below link. But I still get some freezing up when I open up IE. It was suggested I post here to see if anyone can help. Any suggestions?
Hi, to help establish the root of the problem please do the following and advise how your machine responds:
1 Disconnect from the Internet ( pull out the plug)
2 Start your machine in safe mode ( tap F8 once per second immediately after you switch on and before Windows starts to load)
3 select "safe mode" from the advanced menu..
Ignore the graphics performance (that will look a bit odd) and see how your machine behaves….. its OK to use IE but do not connect to the Internet (or try to when in safe mode) as your protections may well not be running.
4 Let us know how the IE performs
5 now close down your machine "shut down" wait 30 seconds with a blank black screen and then remove the laptops battery, and connect up the AC mains via the supplied power adapter replace the Internet connection and reboot into normal mode,
6 try IE and report back on any changes in performance
7 Dowload mozilla Firefox available from here or your favourite site: http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/
8 Install Firefox and see how you go…. tell us if browsing is still slow with Firefox or is back to normal
9 There will be some additional steps needed, but when responding please advise why you are running IE6 when both IE7 and IE8 are available and considerably more secure
Note do not try and update your IE until your machine is running well.
Regards
paws
my laptop is wireless..there are no cables connected to it for the internet. How should I dsconnect from the internet or should I just boot the laptop up in "safe mode"
Hi, you can always pull the plug on the router/gateway/wireless access point for a short while, or just switch it off (wait for the howls of protest from anyone else trying to use it…..!)
or
when you boot into safe mode, just use "safe mode" and avoid the option "safe mode with networking"
Regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI