This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Java issue ?

19 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Couldn't find anything Java related in the add / remove programs in the Control panel. Not any Java installer either Downloaded JRE as adviced and tried to install. Ended up with the same message as before from Windows Installer. Tried the file search for "Java". This indicates a Java.exe file residing in the Windows/system 32 library ? Is that there by default or have my installation attemps created it ? File is only 141 kb.
That would indicate java was installed, whole or partly…Hmm.

You might have to try the windows uninstaller utility once again.
Seems something went wrong either during install or uninstall.
Do you also get the message when using the uninstaller?

Also, please download Ccleaner Slim. Bottom choice.
http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds

Follow the instructions for Ccleaner in this post:

http://forums.whatthetech.com/How_clean_up…ce_t100889.html

so;

Use windows uninstaller, remove all java (leave the installer on desktop be)
Run Ccleaner
Reboot
Try install new java again
Cross your fingers :)
I'm really sorry I haven't got back sooner, my daughter is about to leave school and I had to compile and design a disk for the leavers based on the gig I did for the prom, needless to say it was not an easy job lol. I'm glad the other guy's have been able to get you further than I could anyway, hopefully you will be sorted with their help, but 1 very important note though, where vista is concerned you MUST install as admin for some programs to work correctly, to do this right click on the install file and select to run as admin, then install as usual, but some programs do require this to get the permissions it needs to work correctly, hope you get it beat anyway.
OK, … Tried the Windows uninstaller again. No java related files are picked up Ran CCcleaner, which also didn't pick up any Java files, soo .. I deleted the Java.exe in the System 32 directory manually form the Explorer. Also deleted som jscript log files in the System32 directory (in case they are indicating Java already installed previously). Then I rebooted and tried running the Java 1.6_14 installation file again. Same problem remains, with same error messages. To make sure, I also tried 8210GUTY's suggestion and rant the installation file as administrator, but the result is still the same. Seems some file or setting indicating Java has previously been installed is still lurking around there somewhere ….
kgu, first, turn on hidden files and folder viewing like this:

How to show hidden and system files in Windows Vista:
  • Open My Computer, then click the Organize menu, then click Folder and Search Options.
  • In the Folder Options window, click the View tab.
  • In the Advanced Settings window:
    • Select Show Hidden Files and Folders.
    • Uncheck Hide extensions for known file types.
    • Uncheck Hide protected operating system files.
  • Click OK, and close the My Computer window.


Now, navigate to C:\Users\\AppData\LocalLow\Sun and delete the Java folder.

Download the Java off-line installer (The second one in the list) for windows here: http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
See if this will get Java installed for you.
Thanks for suggestion Appleoddity. I followed your recipy, but I'm afraid I still get stuck with the same error messages when running the Java installation file.
Ok.. I'm thoroughly disgusted with your problem. :) It seems to be a common problem, and I cannot find a definitive answer anywhere on the internet. So, I am currently using the necessary tools to monitor the Java installation and see exactly what it is doing. I will get back with you on how to make it no longer see that "it is already installed." These types of things drive me nuts, and I shouldn't have to reverse engineer a product to solve it.
Thanks for chiming in Appleoddity. :thumbup: Great piece of detective work (or good tools?) finding out the reg.key. This is somewhat out of my league, when it comes to Vista. So thanks again. Cheers
OK, The Windows Install Clean up doesn't offer a choice to open it as administrator. Just opening it anyway does not list any Java at all. So I created a restore point and dived into the Registry … puh …(I run Vista, so I just wrote "regedit" in the search box) I navigated as you instructed, but I don't find any "Java 6 Update 14" entry ? I find some other Java stuff though: - JavaPlugin - JavaPlugin.160_14 - Javascript - Javascript author - Javascript1.1 - Javascript1.1 Author - Javascript1.2 - Javascript1.2 Author - Javascript1.3 - Javascript1.3 Author - JavaWebStart.isInstalled - JavaWebStart.isInstalled.1.6.0.0 In the CLSID folders of each of these there is a code of the type you indicated. Can I just remove all these ? I won't change until you confirm :huh:
I never get the view you are showing Underneath *****\installer\product\ , all subsequent folders are identified with the long alfanumerical codes ? None of these folders contain anything suggesting Java ? I tried to past a screenshot into this post but I can't get it to show ? Tried to paste the screenshot into a word doc and attach that but I don't seem to get that working either …
Please see my edit and re-download the attachment from above. I have replaced it with an updated version so that it works on Vista. After comparing the numbers on a vista machine I found that a slightly different number is present on Vista. Run the new attached .reg file.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI