Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Java issue ?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 kgu

kgu

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:00 PM

Hi, I use a desktop and a lap top, both running Vista 32 bits, and both accessing the net via the same router At the site www.eniro.se there is a main link to open maps (="kartor"). On my laptop the maps never open, only the text "laddar" (="loading") is displayed I don't have the problem on the desktop and I can't locate the cause of it. My attempts so far: - tried using Firefox instead of IE8. Problem remains - uninstalled Java, and rebooted. Problem remains (on my desktop no Java is installed, but the maps open OK ). Problem remains - downloaded and re-installed Java Ver. 1.60_14. Problem remains - inactivated Norton Internet Security function by function. (On the desktop I run Kaspersky) Problem remains - inactivated Ad-Muncher. Problem remains - switched the laptop from WiFi to Ethernet cable connection to the router. Problem remains I haven't noticed any similar problem on any other web site, and I have no ideas on what else to try Has anyone run across similar issues ? Your expertise and suggestion on what to try next would be appreciated /Kent

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:Hoping to die.

Posted 21 June 2009 - 06:32 PM

Are you getting any error messages with this ? Is it possible Norton has blocked this in some way ? disabling protection doesn't always allow free access to commence, sometimes it still blocks while disabled. The first thing I can think of that may help if it is some such issue, is to add that site to your trusted sites, obviously you only do this with sites you know to be safe, to do this click on Tools (you may need to press the Alt button on your keyboard to show the menu bar) - Internet Options - Security, now highlight the green check that says Trusted Sites, then click on the Sites button, uncheck the box in the lower left corner then click Add, the site will then be in the box showing your trusted sites, apply\OK your way out of that and see if that helps.

Braindead

#3 kgu

kgu

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:21 AM

Thanks for responding. It's a relief having someone at least provide some suggestion ... But .. adding the site to the trusted sites in IE8 didn't make any difference. I did occasionally get an error message in the lower left screen cormer saying the issue was related to some *.js file. (afraid I didn't note down the exact file name though) That was the reason I suspected Java, and uninstalled the previous Java version and downloaded and installed the new one. Since then I haven't seen any error messages. The maps just won't load.

#4 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:54 AM

Well obviously such messages are essential to aid diagnosis, but it's not always easy to catch them, if you sure about a java issue then the best suggestion I can offer is get and run JavaRa, I am not very experienced with it, but it's pretty easy to follow, you can check for new updates with it, but more importantly you can remove old(er) versions with it, and also clean up any remnants left behind by previous versions etc, so as there may be the possibility of something there causing problems it may clear this up for you, hope it helps.

Braindead

#5 kgu

kgu

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:53 PM

Well, I wasn't really sure it's a Java issue. It just seemed like the first thing to try .... I ran JavaRa and it removed some remnants of Java version1.60_11, but after closing and restarting IE8 I'm afraid the problem remains. I tried Firefox again, with no change so it seems it may be caused by something else. I also tried the Compatibility setting in IE8, but that didn't make any difference ... Any suggestions welcome. If any sort of log can help diagnosing this, pls let me know and I'll provide if I can

#6 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:06 PM

Thats a shame, I was really hoping that may of done it given your thoughts of a java issue, a last desperate attempt to check this would be to use Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, use it to uninstall java, do NOT select any other file, not unless you know what it is and want to remove it anyway, then reboot, manually check the folder is gone in the C:\Program Files list, if it's still there delete it, run JavaRa to double check the windows utility got everything, then run some junk file cleaners such as Disk Cleaner and CCleaner (that is the download page for this), reboot again then try installing it again.

Only this time disable any\all anti virus and anti spyware protection you may have running, exit from all running programs you can by right clicking on each in turn in the task bar by the clock and pause\exit them, BUT, do NOT stop your firewall, you need that running or you will get an infection, what you can do however if you want to go belt and braces as they say is save the file to install to the desktop, then shut down your net, unplug from the router, then it is safe to close the firewall, then with everything shut down install java again, once complete simply reboot and all your protection will load up again when you restart, but just confirm that all is well before hooking back up to the net again.

Given the previous method didn't help, I fear this may not work either, but in the technical sense this is what you are supposed to do to install pretty much anything, but very few of us probably do it, but when chasing weird issues resorting to this method of installing is the only sure way (technically speaking) to ensure that nothing "should" interfere with that install, and if the issue still continues then the problem must lie elsewhere, mind you there are rare occasions where systems just refuse to play nice with certain things, and theres no way to explain it.

Assuming this doesn't help (thats if you can be bothered trying given the unlikeliness of it working), click on Start - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer, then check down that for anything that may give clues as to what is happening, easiest way to check if the error is go to what is giving the error then check the log straight after, if there is an entry odds on it's related to that issue, as opposed to seeing unrelated errors in there, and often there can be quite a few, but most of the time you never see any ill effects from them, but going to the site then checking the log means the error should be right near the top, if there is anything post back with that info and we can try and see what may be happening.

Braindead

#7 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:29 PM

Hi there

I just checked the page (www.Eniro.se) with Firefox, and had no problems.

But, I do use NoScript addon for Firefox, and the maps wouldn't load until I trusted 3 different sites.

• Eniro.se
  • Eniro.com
  • imrworldwide.com

I know this doesn't help as such, but you can try insert them all as trusted.
You should also check how your browser(s) handles cookies. Anything,
except 3rd party cookies, should be accepted until duration run out.

As for IE, try select medium security in internet options. See how you fare with that.
Maybe even lower, just to try (reset again after)

And lastly, nice to see a fellow Scandinavian here :wavey:

Cheers

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

#8 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:53 PM

To add to what Abydos said, I would also suggest adding "maps0.eniro.com" to your Trusted list as that is where the map image is hosted from. Also, another question. Do "Google Maps" or "Mapquest" work on your laptop? You say you haven't noticed the problem on other sites but I would like to double check on those two main "Map" type sites.

Edited by Vectris, 22 June 2009 - 07:54 PM.

The internet's most useful tool, Google.

"Life's like a game of Poker, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" - Garfield

#9 kgu

kgu

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:20 AM

Thanks to 8210GUY, Abydos and Vectris for suggestions. I tried adding the sites proposed by Abydos and Vectris as trusted sites. That had no effect on the problem. I reduced the security level for the Internet zone. That had no effect on the problem. I set cookies acceptance as proposed by Abydos. That had no effect Mapquest and Google Maps both open just fine. So (having tried the quick options first ...) I wen't on to 8210GUY's directions for cleaning and reinstalling Java, and I got stuck at once. I downloaded msicuu2.exe, but trying to run it returned an error message. I took a screen shot and pasted into a Word doc. file but apparantly I'm not permitted to upload that file to you ? Anyway it says (in my own translation) Script *****\StartMsi.vbs Row 17 Character (?) 1 Error Access denied Code 800A0046 Source Runtime error in Microsoft VBScript Does this in any way lead us further ?

#10 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:03 AM

Script *****\StartMsi.vbs
Row 17
Character (?) 1
Error Access denied
Code 800A0046
Source Runtime error in Microsoft VBScript

Does this in any way lead us further ?

yes it does, sort of.

You get the error message because Windows uninstaller utility need to be run with elevated privileges.
Rightclick and choose run as admin, that should solve that error message.

regards

Abydos

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 kgu

kgu

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:42 PM

:woot: Success !!!! (Sort of ...) With the advice from Abydos I managed to finally remove all remnants of Java, as detailed by 8210GUY (although it took a while to realize I needed to stop the jushed. exe (?) process before I could delete that file and the last libraries. After restarting and stopping/exeting all other visible background programs showing in the bottom right cormer, I decided to try the problem site again, before re-installing Java. IT WORKED !! Maps showing perfectly. So, I restarted and let all background programs load, and :smack: it didn't work !! ??. So I started closing them one by one and found the culprit: Ad Muncher (Although that made no difference when I initially tried that ? Could it have been a combination of a Java issue and Ad Muncher somehow ?) I then removed the trusted sites list from the IE8 setting, and added the same sites in Ad Munchers list of sites where no filtering was needed, and Bingo! - It works ! Right, but .... I still haven't re-installed Java !!! I tried to run the setup file which returned a screen saying "This software has already been installed. Do you want to reinstall?" I hit yes, and Windows Installer displays a message saying "This action is only valid for products which are curently installed " ???? Installation aborts My initial problem is solved. Maps show as they are suppoed to. I still haven't run into any issues because Java is not installed. Am I likely to need to re-install Java ? If so, how do I get around the Windows Installer "block" In the meantime, BIG THANKS for your help and advice :thumbup:

#12 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:56 PM

I tried to run the setup file which returned a screen saying "This software has already been installed. Do you want to reinstall?" I hit yes, and Windows Installer displays a message saying "This action is only valid for products which are curently installed " ???? Installation aborts

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893048

Am I likely to need to re-install Java ?

Yes. To many sites on the net use java, java-aplets and some are coded in pure java. By not having java, video, pictures etc. would suffer, and those pages coded in pure java, you can't see without java.

Run the hotfix I linked, and then install java once again. You should be able to install on top of the existing one, regardless if same version.

Glad you found out the culprit, good job :thumbup:

Abydos

#13 kgu

kgu

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:06 PM

OK thanks for advice Abydos. The link you included points to a hotfix for Windows XP SP2. Does this work for Vista also, or do I need another version ?

#14 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:12 PM

OK thanks for advice Abydos.

The link you included points to a hotfix for Windows XP SP2.
Does this work for Vista also, or do I need another version ?

Ack, my bad, forgot all about Vista. Sorry about that :blush:

I'll have a look elsewhere. It is obviously a problem they are aware of,
so there should be a solution for Vista somewhere.

I'll post when I find the info.

Cheers

Abydos

#15 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:28 PM

Ok, couldn't find anything solid for Vista, and I don't go with half solutions.

So here is what I would have you do;

Check in your add / Remove programs, to confirm that java is installed or not.
Look for anything that says JRE, JavaTM, or Java sun.

Delete the Java installer (not java itself, yet ) you currently have. I am thinking that it may be corrupt.

Download new java from here;

http://java.sun.com/...ds/?intcmp=1281
You need the JRE 6, update 14 (second entry from top)

Now, if you had anything java in add / remove programs, remove it.
Reboot
Install new java from the newly downloaded installer.

See how it goes.

Abydos