Hmm…
That's rather disturbing news, but not entirely unexpected, I'm afraid.
So, are there a number of steps I can take to disinfect my system, so that, when I do get the means to boot into my install files from the WinXP-SP2 DVD, I can easily make the install with confidence in my backups?
I'll need the following resources to proceed with a reinstall:
1) A Bootable USB drive with SATA Drivers, so that I can access the DVD after booting. As this is a laptop, I do not have access to a floppy drive to use for such purposes.
2) Directions for backing up my Outlook Express E-mail files (Safely and Virus-free, if possible). Other file can simply be copied and scanned, so it's a fairly easy process.
3) Recommended methods of scanning and hopefully disinfecting my backups, or methods of safe access of them, to avoid reinfection during the reinstallation.
I have a Lot of data to back up, and my available space in external drives, without connecting to another computer, is limited, so I need fairly reliable methods that are somewhat self-contained.
Thank-you for your support thus far, Raktor! You support has come in a timely and informative manner. I look forward to your continued help through these more uncomfortable steps in this process.
I'm going to pop over to the "What the Tech > Software > Microsoft Windows" thread and ask about the USB Drive setup help. That type of help question might be of use to others in similar straights.
I picked up a new 320 GB drive, so i have a truly Virus free environment to reinstall WinXP into. The already posted info over there for the Outlook Express E-Mail backup info helps immensely! Now, all I need is the USB/SATA driver help, and I'll be just about Back in Business!
If you feel that info would be helpful practice for you, feel free to pick up that thread and run with it
Though your system won't be clean until you do a reformat, I'll give you my all clean speech anyway - to help you in protecting your fresh installation. If you need this topic reopened, PM myself or ken545.
==========================
Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:
1. Make your Internet Explorer More Secure
From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
Click once on the Security tab.
Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
Click once on the Custom Level button.
Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt.
Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable.
Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable.
Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt.
Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt.
Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt.
When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
2. Update your Anti-Virus Software - I can not overemphasize the need for you to update your Anti-virus application on a regular basis. With the ever increasing number of new variants of malware arriving on the scene daily, you become very susceptible to an attack without updated protection.
3. Make sure you keep your Windows OS current by visiting Windows update regularly to download and install any critical updates and service packs. Without these you are leaving the back door open.
4. Consider a custom hosts file such as MVPS HOSTS. This custom hosts file effectively blocks a wide range of unwanted ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and many hijackers.
For information on how to download and install, please read this tutorial by WinHelp2002
Note: Be sure to follow the instructions to disable the DNS Client service before installing a custom hosts file.
5. Download and install the free version of WinPatrol. This program protects your computer in a variety of ways and will work well with your existing security software. Have a look at this tutorial to help you get started with the program.
6. Protect your computer from internet threats with SandboxIE. This program isolates Internet Explorer from the rest of your operating system, 'sandboxing' it away - so malicious websites can't do damage to the rest of your system. There is a Getting Started guide on their website.
7. Finally, I strongly recommend that you read Miekiemoses' good advice - How to prevent Malware
All-righty then…
I've managed to reinstall WinXP Pro, SP 3 from a slipstreamed CD made with nLite, and including the service pack and SATA drivers. It didn't run as I thought it would, but I was able to get things installed and running any way.
Any further issues I'll drop into the other Windows Problems thread, and see what we can collectively fix.
Thanks for all the patient help provided! It is Truly appreciated!
Now, if I can just get MSIE to behave, I'll be reasonably content.
Feel free to close up this thread as "Resolved", folks.
Thanks again
~TLoATDaE
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.
If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.
Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI