Avie
Topic Starter
Software
Unknown desktop ini file
2 min read
Abydos
Hi there
Have a look at this first, see if it can resolve your problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330132
Cheers
Have a look at this first, see if it can resolve your problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330132
Cheers
Avie
Thank you for your reply but I do not find it in msconfig startup, RE microsoft article suggested . . (I have an old WinXP Documents & Settings folder stored on my drive.
I am using Vista Home prem for some time and bought this computer with it installed.
Should I rename the folder?
Abydos
Did you try method 1 in that MS article?
This article is normally for XP, but I couldn't find one for Vista.
It should be, however, somewhat similar procedure.
Avie
I did not see the file because I had closed it on my desktop. Am I suppose to highlight and delete the subject contents? I will try to follow your instructions in # 1.
Since I am using Vista and the article was for XP I thought It was from my backuped files.
I will get back to you.
Thank you.
Avie
Could not use MS #1 suggestion.
The wrong desktop ini comes up open on my desktop as I log on. I deleted the contents, saved and closed restarted and it was back.
I searched and found 10 desktop.inis. Some with capital D and some just desktop. I could not delete the one I thought was the proper one "-21787". Denied permission.
This led to a horrible discovery – I have Documents and Settings with a shortcut. (XP) Could not find all users or anything for Vista Home Prem. I am also not able to remove some sharing docs or change my Network Discovery to remove all sharing.
I am sending snapshot of D & S error in C: contents.
Found suspicious Trusted Installer that I could not remove. I had done so once. How can I get my permission back for the whole C drive.?
Abydos
Hmmm, can't say. I'll have to notify in one of our private tech-forums who have Vista, to this thread.
Ztruker
I don't have Vista but I played with the Windows 7 beta and release candidate.
Documents and Settings is the XP location where things are stored. Now it's just a link to C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming. You'll find everything under there.
Google can help with this if you have more questions about it: vista documents and settings
Documents and Settings is the XP location where things are stored. Now it's just a link to C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming. You'll find everything under there.
Google can help with this if you have more questions about it: vista documents and settings
Avie
Ztrucker,
Most grateful!
This is a very special forum.
maco
Hello Avie. I'm not a techie like the others but is there anything here that helps.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI