Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Dial-A-Fix

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:06 PM

Dial-a-fix is primarily used to fix Windows Updates problems, but is also useful in fixing many strange problems involving the Windows Installer, security permissions, faulting services, and more.

This tool only work on Windows XP, and can be downloaded from here: http://wiki.lunarsof...wiki/Dial-a-fix

From the Dial-A-Fix website: (Emphasis where needed)

Dial-a-fix (hereafter known as "DAF") is a collection of known fixes gleaned from Microsoft Knowledgebase articles, Microsoft MVPs, and other important support forums, that will assist you in repairing problems with your system. Although this tool is ordinarily meant for power users, technicians, and administrators, it is quite safe to use even without technical guidance (although guidance is recommended). Simply choose the solutions you wish to apply via checkmarks, and click GO. There are other buttons and tools present on the main dialog as well, such as the policy scanner. All tools and checkmarks identify their purpose when you mouse over them.

The standard procedure to use with Dial-A-Fix, is to download the .zip file. Uncompress it and run the dial-a-fix.exe file. Click the green, double check-marks at the bottom of the window to select everything, then click, "GO!" When Dial-A-Fix finishes, reboot the computer and see if your problem is resolved.

This is an absolute miracle worker on Windows Updates problems along with many other strange issues.

There is a tools button in Dial-A-Fix with more repair procedures it can perform.

Another must in any technician's toolbelt.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:35 AM

There is a bright pink warning box on the Dial-A-Fix home page now so caution is advised:

Dial-a-fix does not work with any Windows OS higher than Windows XP. This includes Windows Vista, Windows 7.

Dial-a-fix also has a critical unpatched bug that will delete your C:\Documents folder.

It is highly recommended to read the Warnings page before downloading and using this software.

I think it's over stated as I've used it numerous times without any problem but if the author thinks it's worth mentioning I thought it would be a good idea to mention it here as well.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for drawing attention to the warning Rich, Like you I have used it a fair amount but never had any problems with C:\ Documents..... Maybe though it will bite me at some time!
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate