Retention Bracket for AM2 Socket
6 min read
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst…s.htm#wp1490250
I take it from your post that the new fan will not fit in the "shroud"?
The "Four Holes" should indeed be for mounting.
Does the new Heatsink/Fan have "self-locking" legs? Or does in require a rear mounting bracket?
Can you post a link to the bracket you are looking at?
As that CPU is clearly listed for your model I would think there would not be much of an issue:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst…s.htm#wp1052310
Is there some reason you think that the old heatsink/fan in inadequate?
.
These are the possible retention brackets I needed for it. The fan has two clips on opposite sides probably meant to latch on to the bracket itself. (without knowing too much)
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a-amds…orm,1222-4.html
I guess all I really need is to know if I'm getting the right bracket for this heat sink fan.
The page prior to the one you link has the following:
The introduction of the Socket AM2 platform will also change the current cooler specification, forcing the cost of a new thermal solution on those Socket 754/939/940 folks willing to upgrade. The change does not affect the maximum dimensions of the mounting frame, nor the cooler, but it redefines the clamping mechanism. This is no issue for the big players (system integrators
and OEMs), but enthusiasts might have to throw their existing high-end cooling solution out of the window.
We were able to install a simple Socket 939 cooler, which should be possible with some products that are around. However, any cooling solution that has to be notgood directly to the motherboard definitely cannot be used any more, as there are now four rather than two mounting holes. Still we hope that high-end cooler vendors will offer modified mounting kits for their premium products.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a-amds…orm,1222-3.html
Dell lists the E521 as an AM2 socket and you noted the four holes so the above should not be an issue.
I cannot say for certain but it looks like what you need. Note you will most likely need to remove the motherboard from the case as in most cases these brackets require a back plate to facilitate the fastening.
…
UW457 0UW457 is the model number for the motherboard
Unfortunately this did not end up fitting inside the motherboard. There was a couple motherboard components and parts that are too close to the socket. Not to mention the screw holes to mount the bracket are farther apart than I had anticipated, so the bracket I bought can't even mount to the motherboard.
At this point I'm wondering if I'm really even suppose to use the heatsink/fan that came with the processor will even fit now and if I should use the original heatsink assembly that came with the computer to begin with.
I experimented before I tried to run the processor without the heatsink/fan that it came with. It seems to work pretty well but I'm too worried to keep it in because I'm not sure if it will over heat or not. I didn't feel any serious heat coming from it, so it seemed fine, but didn't want to chance it. So i switched out the new one and put back the original I had.
So to narrow it down debating whether to: find the correct retention bracket (if it even exists for this motherboard)
:use the processor without the heatsink/fan it came with
: completely give up on the idea, considering it might not fit.
Any ideas what to do from here?
Oh, and if you need any more information, I can take pictures of my motherboard and the processor with the heatsink/fan if need be
In case my description of the product was no clear enough, I included this link of the processor I have.
http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=34
That CPU is listed as an option for that board so the original cooler should be sufficient.
Most Dell boards also have an automatic thermal shutdown to safe guard the CPU.
I'd try it and run a temperature monitor.
Be sure to use a cleaner and fresh application of TIM as noted here:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Thermal_Inte…ial_t95526.html
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI