Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

by pass ISP?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:44 PM

Hello I have an ISP that has an email program I really find unacceptable and it consumes so much of the pc because the program is built in. This program cannot, to my knowledge, be removed. Is there any way I can gain access to the web another way? It seems the only two ways to do so is by using Verizon(fios not available here) or Comcast . I know you have to pay but I'd rather have a choice. I think I touched on this quite some time ago but the issue is so far away I have lost track of the content. Usuall I put learned matters in an appropriate folder. Thank you

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:27 PM

Hi GP, it would help if we knew what ISP (AOL???)? I don't see any reason for you to have use their E-mail program, especially if it's accessed using your web browser. You should be able to access it using your normal Wen Browser, IE, FireFox, Opera, SeaMonkey, Google Chrome, etc. Verizon or Comcast (I have Bright House cable here on the Space Coast) provide the connectivity, then you choose how you want to access E-mail. You can use your web browser (web based access), Outlook Express, FireBird, SeaMonkey, Gmail, etc. I prefer reading and storing E-mail on my computer rather than keeping it on the ISP's servers.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:20 PM

Hi Z My wife and I spent three years in Fl. Good place to be. My Internet servce provider is Comcast. cable. Verizon is the other hi speed around here but its FIOS is not available yet. From what you describe, I am talking about connectivity. I never use the ISP's mail provider which is Smart Zone. I now know what was floating around in my mind. "How can I get online without having to involve Comcast and more spedifically, its email program, Smart Zone!" I can't, and have to use what is available in the area. My wife wants to boot up to her grand children on the screen saver and browse with MSIE 8. I am slowly convincing her we can do better/saferfaster. One thing at a time though. Once the browser is changed I can work on moving from the Smart Zone email program to one of the few I use with pleasure. The domestic ingredients are determining some trivial whys and wherefores but with each passing week, and an occasional sermonizing from, "What the Tech," I am getting us closer to a user friendly and functional computer situation. We have been thru logging on and off etc and so far this is the best we can do. Thanx for listening to a long winded answer as to how I now can discern among the terms; connection, browser, email programs, isp etc.

#4 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:35 PM

Hello Z This is a protion of a discussion i was having regarding my relationship with my isp Comcast asn its email program Smart Zone. >>>>>>> Windows user's group network [WUGNET] WUGNET - Speed Test download speed = 5.99 mbps and upload spedd = 2.89 mbps I was really getting confused because there are different terms used to measure speed and it became like the "peanut 'n the shell" game. I simply needed apples to apples to make a valid comparison. I only wanted to know if I was getting what I was paying for and if it was a reasonable price to pay for the speed I was getting. Proir to Comcast adjusting my rate because they are 'nice guys' I paid roughly $110.00 a month for TV and their high speed internet.(We do not have Fios available in the near or distant future). Since I spoke with them I now pay roughly $33.00 a month. I cannot state for sure if the apparent(to us) drop in power was associated with any particular one thing. We have it in our heads that their open source email program called Smart Zone is the culprit as it has functioned poorly since day one. The reviews are horrible but this email program cannot be detached for Comcast. My wife's business cards and clientelle have Comcast as the contact. Changing could be a possibility and use Hotmail where we have accounts but there will be a lot of work to do to rid ourselves of Smart Zone and begin with Hotmail. Hope I have been comprehensive enough for you to provide info such as speed for the $ etc. Thanx again #17 (permalink) 05-24-09, 06:37 PM nap Member Join Date: May 2006 Location: Southwest Michigan Posts: 3,790 just to let you know peterr, I just tested my speed on that site and came up right about where you were. I then went to the sites I listed. The first 2 or 3 hit 20-23 Mbps. I had one (cnet) that tested at 1.2Mbps. part of the problem with any speed test is there are a lot of variables. Honestly, what you are paying for what you are getting is pretty good. Have you asked comcast what you are supposed to be getting? I know they are very good about being noncommittal so I doubt they will give you a hard number but maybe they will tell you the different levels of service available and which one you are buying. as long as you get at least the level you are supposed to, not much you can argue with them. you also need to make sure there are not unneeded programs running in the background. Many of them do take up bandwidth. >>>>>>>> If this is of interest , ok, but if you find the contents redundant/ boring please let me know. Thank you

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:35 PM

Comcast is your ISP so it will always be involved since it provides you with internet access. That's all you need from them though. You can use any E-mail program you want, once you convince your better half that's the right thing to do. It's no different than me using Bright House here in Florida.

You turn your computer on and immediately have internet access via Comcast. You can use any browser or E-mail software you want. As I mentioned before, I prefer working with E-mail on my computer rather than via a web browser. It's much faster, has more options and is a better interface.

Here is some good reading on Comcast SmartZone: http://www.topix.com...5HD7F946GI8L/p5

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#6 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:07 AM

Whenever I am lonely I'll read that referral. I was going to relax with some good tv program but, oops! There's that Comcast again! :wavey: