This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows XP Pro, SP3 - Freeze-ups!

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I originally posted this in the Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal Forum. Tomk replied and suggested I re-post in the Windows forum. It appears that this is not a Malware issue. Here are Tomk's comments:
My name is Tomk. I would be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems. HijackThis logs can take a while to research, so please be patient and I'd be grateful if you would note the following:

* I will be working on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
* The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for the issues on this machine.
* Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
* It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference.
* If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
* Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.



I don't think you have a malware problem. I suggest that you post in the Windows forum and see if the Tech Team can help you.

Does this make sense to you.


——————–
Tomk
————————————————————

Edit: Here is a link to the malware thread. Please don't post HJT logs here, thanks: http://forums.whatthetech.com/XP_Pro_SP3_S…me_t103098.html
HI SCLUCAS.

You comment that this doesn't happen in Safe Mode indicates that there is a problem with a process or service (non-Microsoft usually) that is starting at boot time or there is a problem with a driver for one of your hardware devices.

How long after you rebuilt your system did the hangs start? Was it after installing any particular application? Did you make any hardware changes (addition or removal)?

Try using msconfig to determine what is causing the problem.

The first thing to do is record what is currently enabled on the Startup and Services tabs of msconfig during the following procedure. That way you can put everything back when done.

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP or Vista:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista

First, physically disconnect from the Internet to prevent a malware infection while your Anti-virus and/or Firewall are disabled in the following steps, then boot to Safe Mode.

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab then the Disable All button.
Re-boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box then click the Disable All button.
Again, re-boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best. Enable everything else you disabled.

Reconnect to the Internet when your AV and firewall are active again.
Thank you! I'll give this a try. This started a few weeks after the re-build, but I can't pin it to anything specific. I'll give this a try and update the post. Many Thanks, Steve
Disabled all 5 Start Up Items. Rebooted in Normal mode. After a few minutes of web browsing and opening Outlook, system froze up again. So i guess this would lead me to believe this may be a Driver issue versus an issue with a Start-up process? Thanks, Steve
Rich, Been away for a few days. Got a chance to work on this today. I disabled all "non-Microsoft" services, rebooted. Ran intot he same issue after a few moments. I then went in and disabled all Microsoft services (that it allowed me to). Rebooted, same results. I then tired disabling "All Services". Rebooted. Same results. I'm now even getting the freeze-ups right when the Windows XP Login screen comes up. System just freezes-up. I really don't know what else to try at this point. I may try a fresh rebuild, but would try anything to avoid doing this again. Or it may just be time to put this PC out of it's misery! Thanks, Steve
I missed a few days myself. Sorry to hear disabling startup and service items doesn't help. That pretty much narrows it down to a hardware problem of some kind, either a corrupted driver or a failing hardware component. I don't think RAM is involved because it runs okay in safe mode, though safe mode does not stress the system the way a normal boot does so I guess there is a small possibility bad ram could cause this. Try disconnecting everything except your mouse, keyboard, display and network connection. Unplug all USB devices, disconnect your CD/DVD drives. Remove any other PCI cards like modem, sound, add-on USB, etc. Boot up with as minimal a hardware set as possible, see what happens.
RESOLVED! Rich, Thanks for your help and suggestions. I was able to pinpoint the issue by disabling various peripherals, and checking reults. What this came down to was my nVidea Graphics Card. I disabled the card completely, and re-enabled the video processor on the motherboard. This did the trick. Before I did that, I updated and rolled back the drivers for the nVidea card. No luck. Then I simply disabled the card completely, and this solved the issue. Not sure if the card is bad, or the drivers got completely hosed, but at this point, I don't care. The system is working fine now, and I can use the system in Normal Mode with no issues. Time to replace the PC, or better yet, replace it with a MAC! I never have issues with my iMAC and I'm thinking it's time to switch completely to MACs! Thanks again, Steve

Time to replace the PC, or better yet, replace it with a MAC! I never have issues with my iMAC and I'm thinking it's time to switch completely to MACs!

Thanks again,
Steve


:o You should know that in an effort to actually compete with the PC market, Apple now makes computers with basically the exact same parts that are in a PC, and sells the computers at a much higher price. A Mac is nothing more than a PC with different software on it. And yes, it will break in all the same ways a PC does. Hard drives fail, motherboards go bad, fans go out. They are all made by the same companies like Intel, and Seagate. And, should it ever actually become beneficial for malware producers to infect an Apple, you would find out that some of the most skilled "hackers" agree that MacOSX and Safari are amongst the easiest targets to crack especially since IE8 and Windows 7, recent studies have shown. As Apple gains market share, it will become a more valuable target. Please don't be on the wrong side of the fence when it happens and actually believe that a Mac is more secure than a PC. :)

Put Safari atop Mac OS X, and the target's too good to pass up, said Miller.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/articl…ticleId=9128878

[The things that Windows do to make it harder (for an exploit to work), Macs don't do. Hacking into Macs is so much easier. You don't have to jump through hoops and deal with all the anti-exploit mitigations you'd find in Windows.

It's more about the operating system than the (target) program. Firefox on Mac is pretty easy too. The underlying OS doesn't have anti-exploit stuff built into it.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2941

Lastly, Mac probably is more stable than a PC. Why? Thats a simple question. There is much less to choose from on a Mac. When there isn't as much variety, you aren't going to have as much conflicts. On a system that isn't nearly as open as a PC, there won't be so many different standards and protocols to introduce problems. And, I don't know how anybody could stand trying to work on those darn ridiculously designed cases and proprietary parts that make it virtually impossible to add or upgrade anything. All that sacrifice, just to look cool.

Ok, my venting is done. :)

I am glad your original problem was resolved!
Very valid points indeed. I only base my comments on my personal experiences, not necessarily the technical facts that you have shared. We've had an iMAC for about a year and I can tell you I've had ZERO issues (knock on wood) with hardware, software, malware etc… At the same time, I've had countless issues with my PC, many requiring me to completely rebuild the OS time and again. I also have to constantly patch and run various protection programs and utilities to keep my PC in working well. That's a major reason why I won't partition my MAC and run Windows on it. I just don't want to deal with the same headaches. I do agree however, that as the MAC marketshare increases, so will the vulnerabilities and attacks. So you've given me much to consider. Thanks!
Don't get me wrong.. I'm not dogging Apple.. They have a nice computer, that has several benefits over PCs. I'm sure you will be happy with your Imac. What frustrates me is the, "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" commerical mentality. Apple has spent a lot of money to make people believe something that isn't true.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI