This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

aol contacts hacked

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Yesterday someone sent spam to everyone in my aol contacts list. I have run a virus scan and my computer does not seem to be infected. I changed my password. Is there anything else I can do? My son had the same problem with his yahoo account but he is using a Mac.
You need to scan with more than just an anti virus, there are many programs out there for finding infections, but your account isn't hacked, it is a widely misused term, what you have probably got is an infection that has been programmed to forward itself to everyone in your address book, this is how they often propagate, being new here I am wary of suggesting scans to run incase it make the pro's job harder, so I suggest going through the pinned threads in This section, if you are still not sure then it's maybe worth posting a log in the appropriate section, your son having a mac doesn't make him immune from infection, although it certainly narrows down the amount of risks to HIM considerably, but it doesn't mean he isn't infected, it just means the infections can't hurt his system, but that means he is in a false security in a way because although he is fine for the most part, he can easily forward infections to people he knows by mailing them etc, I was given a name of something that works for mac's the other year as I had a mate with a mac with the same problem, but I can't remember what it was now, if I remember I'll post back, hope this helps anyway.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI